Paving the way for an Amazon powered Sonos?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

I kind of doubt it. For one thing, it definitely would have to be a rather tight integration. It would really mean that this new Sonos speaker with Alexa would be full part of the sonos ecosystem and Echo.

The other thing is, would that be ideal? With normal sonos your going to put the speaker(s) against the wall, out of the way. Echo is the opposite. You really want it in the center of the room where it can hear better. As well, you only want one echo in the room, where as you want multiple sonos speakers.

Perhaps what could be ideal if Sonos came out with a new device that was just an Alexa controller, priced around $75. No speakers on it all, just mics, shaped like a dot. It could be matched/pair into a zone similar to how a sub is added today. Once paired it controls that zone by default (and other zones). Because it's not a typical dot, there would be no confusion about where the sound is. It could also be a bit smarter then your typical dot so that some voice commands (play, pause) don't have to go to the cloud and back down for execution. If you give a voice command that isn't one of the basics then it works just like any other Alexa function.

I still doubt it, but it's probably a product I'd buy.