Answered

Moving to a new house

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Here’s a possibly dumb question, but I don’t like surprises so I thought I’d ask. We’re moving to a new house in a few months. In the new house, I will set up the same WiFi we have in our current house. I’m just going to unplug the WiFi router in our current house, and plug it in at the new house.

I’m wondering if moving my Sonos system will be as simple as unplugging all our speakers in our current house, and plugging them all in at the new house. Since the speakers will find the same WiFi present, I’m thinking everything will just work.

But, I’m not exactly sure I understand where my system configuration information is stored. I think I understand the speakers form a distributed system and I assume full system configuration is stored in each speaker. I assume any changes I make to the system are synchronized from speaker to speaker until all have the latest change. But, in order for the configuration to persist during power outages, etc, the speakers would have to have something like the CMOS that my PC has in order to persist configuration when unplugged. Is that the case? Seems like it must, since my system can persist through power outages and unplugging a speaker to move it to a new location.

Or, is that all wrong and is my system configuration instead stored “in the cloud” in my Sonos account online?

I’m just curious about the technical details, but the bottom line is, will my system configuration persist successfully while the speakers are all unplugged and moved to our new house?

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 3 May 2024, 08:20

View original

4 replies

Your original assumptions are correct, and if you do as you say, everything will just work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos devices have a fair sized chunk of non-volatile memory for data storage.

Everything is stored on the speakers, the Controllers are just that, similar to a TV remote.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I did the same thing. The new house dynamics will be slightly different, we did move onto fibre to the property as well. Initially i couldn’t get all sonos devices to connect. But i find to give things more time helps, and powering off and on the next day sorted it and been ok since.

Oh i did later on have to move location of a speaker a bit to overcome “not able to play track” errors on album tracks on a stereo pair.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thank you everyone! That’s one less thing to deal with 😁