Question

Amazon Echo

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

The current microphone in the Play:5 is not the far field array needed for voice control. It's also been intimated by the Sonos CEO that future Sonos devices will have built-in mic arrays and embedded Alexa functions, eliminatin the need for a secondary device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It has taken Google and Amazon years of development to get to where they are with their voice product and it still needs work. Microsoft and Apple have also spent similar time and money and their products are way behind still.

For Sonos to do the same would be commercial madness so they have done the best thing and teamed up with the Market leader, and they seem to be the only speaker manufacturer who have actually confirmed Alexa is coming this year so why berate them? I'm sure it's their top priority and it will be ready when it works well enough to release to the public, like any other new feature.
If Sonos can get its proprietary networking system to work smoothly with the echo, google home, or Alexa then great for all us but I believe these companies will eventually compete directly with Sonos with their own premium speakers. There's already a tiny microphone in the 2'nd gen play 5 ready to be activated. Sonos need to innovate and give what the customers want or they will become another Betamax.
Left behind? By who?

And why would I want a different voice assistant for my music system than the one I use for the rest of my home? Why reinvent the wheel?
Sonos forward thinking is definitely lacking when comes to voice command. Sonos need to develope their own voice command independent from amazon, google home and apple. I feel Sonos is being left behind FAST.
Our experience with Echo, Dot and Tap vs. Sonos is that the Amazon product is used much more now than Sonos. Sonos is the in-home equivalent of going to a concert. If we want so sit and really listen for a while, Sonos is used. For quick, background it is Amazon. Just ordered two Amazon Show units and am looking forward to hearing how they sound and gaining access to being able to glance at album art while listening. But if I could listen on Sonos as easily as on Amazon devices of course that would be the way to go.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Here is my take on this situation... since we bought an echo last month, 99% of music played in the kitchen has been.. "Alexa, play XXX.." It used to be 100% Sonos. Even with the tiny speaker compared to the Sonos AMPs in the Kitchen.. its all Alexa. The Sonos app used to be ALWAYS open on the computer... now it is never even open. So Sonos.. figure this out real fast or the party is over.

I bought an echo with the Prime member discount wen they were released last year. I NEVER use it to listen to music or radio - everything is available on Sonos (actually MY music is on Sonos but not on Alexa) and the quality of the Dot for music is rubbish.
I doubt it can ever be all Alexa....how well will she do in response to: Play XXX playlist. Or, skip to the next song...? Or...shuffle playlist?

Alexa is probably good enough for the basis command set, but the app use won't go away for some years, I reckon. That said, I think Sonos has got the message of moving faster.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Here is my take on this situation... since we bought an echo last month, 99% of music played in the kitchen has been.. "Alexa, play XXX.." It used to be 100% Sonos. Even with the tiny speaker compared to the Sonos AMPs in the Kitchen.. its all Alexa. The Sonos app used to be ALWAYS open on the computer... now it is never even open. So Sonos.. figure this out real fast or the party is over.
Sonos never gives exact release dates. They schedule according to testing goals met, not calendar dates reached. That said, the press release stated sometime in 2017.