Unable to use Sonos app on Android after latest update

• 17 August 2020
  • 49 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Evidently not so, as nobody with other brands seems to be experiencing this issue.  I think you should follow @Airgetlam ‘s advice and run a supported OS / firmware.  I wouldn’t expect Sonos to do anything about this.

Sorry, I could have explained myself better. I’m using Android 10, which isn’t a beta version of android. The Sonos app targets different versions of Android, not specific software on different devices (e.g. it doesn’t target One UI on Samsung devices, or Oxygen OS on Oneplus devices. It targets Android 9, 10 etc). So really it should be working. I’d understand if I had recently updated to new OS software on my device but I haven’t. This only started after the last Sonos update on Android. Unfortunately as soon as I opened the app after updating it this started happening, and hasn’t worked since.

Userlevel 1
Badge

No BETA software on my OnePlus 8 PRO, just the latest official update of August.

Interesting. What products do you have connected to your app? Is it a similar setup to my own?

Another thing I should add is that I can scroll through different menu's in the app when I'm not connected to my system without it force closing, it's only when I'm on my home network connected to the speakers that it stops working.

Userlevel 1

No BETA software on my OnePlus 8 PRO, just the latest official update of August.

Interesting. What products do you have connected to your app? Is it a similar setup to my own?

Another thing I should add is that I can scroll through different menu's in the app when I'm not connected to my system without it force closing, it's only when I'm on my home network connected to the speakers that it stops working.

Got BEAM + 2 One and another BEAM and a One.

I thought it was because of the old Sonos Connect I have; I removed it, but that’s not it. Still keeps crashing.
I can also go through menu in the app when on a different Wifi network.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So I reset my app and connected to my brother's system (Playbar + Move). Everything worked as normal. Had no issues controlling anything and the Sonos app didn't force close. I've already reset all of my speakers so I guess I'm out of luck until the next update.

@Petsky let me know if you find any work around. Thanks for the replies, nice to know I'm not the only one have this issue!

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @ConOne, thank you for the update and @Petsky, welcome to the community.

@ConOne, since you mentioned the iOS version of the Sonos app is working, please take a diagnostic from it and post the confirmation.

I would like to check the Sonos system. Also, when using the app did you try performing an action or when the browse section of the app loaded, it crashes?

We would like to know when the crash occurs. Also, what’s the exact android version of the phone.

@Petsky, can you get the exact android version you have and when does the crash occurs.

If you have another Sonos controller and it’s working, please take a diagnostic and post the confirmation here. 

To take a diagnostic in the App, Setting > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Kyle,

My brother's OnePlus 8 Pro works fine so I sent diagnostics from there: 1872918954

If I restart the Arc the app stays working until I select an audio source. So if I start playing a song through the Sonos app on Spotify, Sonos radio or select the TV audio it will start playing whatever I have selected but then immediately close the app. Every time I try to open the app after this it will stop working as soon as it opens until I restart the Arc again.

My brother's WORKING controller phone details:

Android version: 10

Build number: 10.5.11.IN11BA

My BROKEN controller phone details: 

Android version: 10

Build number: OP7Pro_02_BETA_17

@Kyle A Thanks for looking into this for us!

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @ConOne and @Petsky, thank you for the update.

@Petsky, your version is different from the Oneplus 8 @ConOne’s brother. 

I checked the Sonos system, everything is running normally.

10.5.12.IN11BA and 10.5.11.IN11BA respectively. We might have an issue with 10.5.12 of the one plus Andriod. 

Let’s try what I suggested to @ConOne. Uninstall the Sonos app, shutdown and reboot the phone, reinstall the Sonos app, and test.

If it’s still crashing, I recommend calling our Phone support to create a case on it. 1 800 680 2345 Mondays to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET.

@ConOne, since you can move around in the app before it crashes. Could you attempt to take a diagnostic with the Oneplus 7?

It will have controller logs in the Diagnostic that I can check.

Sonos system is working fine as well in the diagnostic.

Update us with your findings.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Kyle A I was able to take a diagnostic from my OP7 Pro: 5287887

Hope that helps you out in some way! 

Regards,

Conor.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I managed to get the Sonos app working by completely wiping my phone and returning to Stock Oxygen OS version 10.3.4.GM21AA. 

I've had no issues over the last 3 days.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I managed to get the Sonos app working by completely wiping my phone and returning to Stock Oxygen OS version 10.3.4.GM21AA. 

I've had no issues over the last 3 days.

Good to know, you and RTJ3 have found work-arounds. I’m going to let the Sonos team try and work it out since I’ve sent the bug report in and I’ve got and old mobile that I carry around the house as my Sonos phone in addition to my normal mobile and work mobile. My wife thinks I’m crazy.

Hi all, @Kyle A @Feesh @ConOne 

I received wonderful news from Tim W. at “Sonos Customer Care” today about a valid workaround for the OnePlus 8 PRO on Android 10.5.12.IN11BA

Just turn of the notifications for the Sonos App:

Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Sonos ->Notifications -> Show Notifications -> Off 

This works for me :)

Hoping to receive a definite fix soon….

Kind regards,

Yves

That worked for me for now with the oneplus8 pro.  Thanks

I can also confirm that it works. I dont want notifications from Sonos app anyways 😂👍🏼

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Feesh, thank you for the update and sorry for the late response.

I checked the diagnostic, the Arc was receiving PCM from the TV when you took the diagnostic.

The TV could have refreshed when the Atmos return; I would recommend monitoring this.

Have you contacted our Phone support to send out a Bug report for the App crashes?

If so, thank you, this will help our engineers fix the software conflict.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @ConOne and @Petsky, thank you for the update and sorry for the late response.

@Petsky, I’m glad you're getting support; once they find the bug you should have a solution.

For the Phone number; my apologies, I didn’t know you’re in Belgium.

@ConOne, controller logs are filled with error logs; we need our engineers to look into it.

I would recommend calling our Phone support to create a case for your issue.

Our Support Website should have the Phone number for your country. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @emoto and @JensB-C, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

We understand the frustration and since we’re clearly seeing a trend with the OnePlus OS update.

I would recommend calling our Phone Support. The issue warrants an investigation.

They’ll have other means to get the crash logs and escalate to our engineers as well.

1 800 680 2345 Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET.

Same problem here (immediate crash when opening the app). But I managed to fix it with this: I put a widget of the sonos s2 app on my startscreen and voila, no more crashes, a smoother way to work the app and suddenly the app appears in the drop-down menu! Plus I didn't need to shut off my notifications.

My setup: OnePlus 8 pro, sonos one sl, playbar, sub gen 3.

Having the same issue as everyone here.

After the update to new S2 App on oneplus 8 pro I cannot use my Sonos system anymore.  Sonos app crashes as soon as it is opened. 

Sono’s please fix this issue ASAP.  Obviously everyone that ha sthe Oneplus pro is having the same issue.  My home music streaming system that I paid so much money to setup is useless without the app.

Badge

Sorry for double post, but just made an interesting observation. 

If I open the app while connected to my WiFi, the app immediately crashes. 

If I turn off WiFi on my phone, open the app, then re-enable WiFi, the app stays open and works fine with my Sonos system.

I've submitted diagnostics from my android app, in case it's of any help (1299674877). 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Feesh, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

I see that you’re also having crashes with the Sonos app; I’ll be more than happy to check the diagnostic for you. 

I would like to verify as well, if you have the same Operating System as @Petsky; please check your phone's OS version in the phone settings.

I checked the diagnostic, same scenario with @ConOne’s Controller logs; It’s filled with errors.

If you do have the same version as @Petsky, I would suggest calling Phone support to escalate the issue. We could have a conflict with the 10.5.12.IN11BA update from One Plus.

Badge

Hi @Kyle A

Thanks for the quick response. I can confirm that I have the same phone OS version as @Petsky

Hopefully this can be resolved soon. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just updated to version 12.0.6 of the Sonos app, this was published in the Google play store today. This has fixed my issue with my One+8 Pro where Sonos was crashing every time I opened it.

I might also mention now that I’ve been using the 12.0.6 version app for a bit, performance improvements (for me anyway) seem to be in place. Some of the lagginess that we were seeing in app really seem to have improved. I’ll keep an eye on it. The other issue I’m looking to be fixed is the alarm functionality. I’ll check on that too.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Feesh, thank you for the update.

Yes of course, once the issue is reported and a case has been created.

Our engineers will look into it, as this can potentially impact other users with the same OS version.

We’ll just have to wait for them to roll out a patch. 

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out.

The community is here to help.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the update @Petsky , that's great news!

If I run into this issue again I'll give it a try, hopefully that works for everyone until they can roll out a fix.

Badge

I've done the same and am happy to report that it's also working for me. 

Thanks for sharing the news, @Petsky 

Badge

Not sure if this is related:

Just updated Android app and Sonos firmware across my Sonos devices and it's worse now! 

App still crashes, but now I can't get Atmos from any source (native Samsung Netflix app, which delivered awesome Atmos; Disney+ via my Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, which also gave great Atmos). 

It seems the new update has fixed nothing and killed my Atmos! 

Any help would be appreciated!

Submitted fresh diagnostics, in case that helps (512427199)

And, suddenly, Atmos has returned, without any further intervention from me. 

I'm baffled.