Answered

Sub keeps disconnecting from Arc (resulting in "?" in the app)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

I’ve been experiencing this same issue recently as well. The only (temporary) fix I have found is rebooting or resetting the Arc and Sub.  Didn’t have this issue before.  I suspect it’s a software issue.  

Hi. I too recently started having this problem with an Arc and Sub. It’s been working fine for months and suddenly this has started happening. I’ve changed nothing.

I have factory reset the sub and reconnected it. It worked for a day and now the ? appears in the app.

Do you know if the Sub is still working, even when you see the ? in the App - can you try playing music audio or a 5.1 TV audio source just to see if outputs the .LFE channel. Also what is its status LED showing (assuming you have left it enabled in the HT Room Settings)?

Hi. I too recently started having this problem with an Arc and Sub. It’s been working fine for months and suddenly this has started happening. I’ve changed nothing.

I have factory reset the sub and reconnected it. It worked for a day and now the ? appears in the app.

Side note both times this has happened both subs go offline as a pair. I will monitor the access point the bars use but nothing else is having issues on my network. 

Of course I have access points Sonos main selling point is WiFi.  I have access points on every floor of house built into the ceiling. They are not extenders but fully wired access points that offer the same ssid but are tuned to not broadcast through the floor to help the WiFi rfc figure out the best connection as all WiFi does. . As stated I don’t have issues with other speakers and I have at least 9 Sonos speakers. Also from sub to sound bar does that use proprietary connections or does it use WiFi?  All I can say is I have not had this issue with my previous sound bar, which I had for years or my 1 year ish old arc and beam. They both twice in last 6-8 weeks have exhibited this issue and I do wonder/suspect it came after an update.  Today rebooting the sound bars was the fix needed for whatever reason. 

It isn't a bug. There would be thousands of posts about it if there were. Everybody blames a bug. It hardly ever is. 

What sort of router are you Using? Any access points or extenders?

I recently have encountered a similar issue with an arc and a beam on different floors both with individual subs.  In my case they say error not connected, do you want to configure or something to that affect. I have found rebooting the sub does nothing, but powering the sound bar or both seems to fix issue. I have had both sound bars for close to a year with no issues until last month or two. With that in mind I believe the issue is a big on the Sonos side of things. My subs are very close to their respectable sound bars so that can’t be the issue. I have not changed my WiFi either and have very good signals in my house so that shouldn’t be an issue either. My guess is this issue stems from a couple updates back until then I never had issues. It does aggravate me though at random no bass. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I connected the Arc via ethernet now. Let’s hope this will fix the issue...

Note that the SUB connects to the Arc, rather than the signal from your router.  It uses a 5Ghz channel, so it may be worth looking at making sure that the radio/wifi is still turned on on your Arc in the Sonos controler’s room settings, and that there aren’t any potential sources of wifi interference that might impact the 5Ghz signal. 

The ? is an indication that the SUB isn’t properly connecting, so there’s other things beyond the previous paragraph, and the suggestions from @GuitarSuperstar has provided. It might be worth refreshing your network, too, by rebooting your router. 

And I concur with the concern about the access point, in general Sonos doesn’t like those types of things, and most often recommend a wired network setup, where one Sonos device (not a surround or SUB) is wired to the root device of the router. Access points frequently split up networks, and make it hard for Sonos devices to communicate across the split, even though they frequently have the same SSID and password. 

Userlevel 7

I think the Repeater might be causing the problem. Can the Arc be connected to the Fritz!Box rather than the Repeater? Is any Sonos speaker you own close enough to the Fritz!Box where it can be connected directly to it with an ethernet cable?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have not tried moving the Sub, it’s only 1 m away from the Arc. Also, I have not tried using a cable. I have a One which is even further away, and working flawlessly.

I’m using an AVM FRITZ!Box, the Arc and Sub are connected to an AVM Repeater (which is connected to the Router via cable and acts as access point).

I had hoped that the diagnostics might help to identify the problem...

Userlevel 7

If you move your Sub to a different spot in the room, do you have the same problem? Are you able to connect your Arc directly to the router with an ethernet cable? What router are you using?