Answered

Stereo PCM

• 28 December 2022
  • 47 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 14 replies

Losing the will to live here. I Have Sonos Beam Gen2 and I cannot have any sound other than stereo pcm. My tv is PHILIPS - 50PUS7855 50" 4K . I have a hdmi 4k cable. I am using both the standard TV, Netflix and 4k blu Ray player and they're all playing stereo pcm only. I have set the audio to multichannel (bypass). Why is this happening?

Any help greatly appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by t00t 28 December 2022, 22:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

47 replies

@t00t 

It’s probably going to be easier to maybe speak with Philips Support Desk, as I’m sure this is a TV Settings issue, but …

• What are the choices available in ‘Digital Out Format’ (below ‘Audio Out’) in your earlier screenshot?
  • Also what options are shown in the ‘advanced sound’ settings?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The last won’t work. Sonos needs HDMI-ARC that the Nvidia does not do.

What do u mean ? Nvidia shield has no HDMI out connection? I checked on the web it does

No, the Shield (I own one) does not have an HDMI-ARC output, so sends it’s audio to different pins on the connector. You cannot get sound on a Sonos soundbar connected to a “normal” non-ARC HDMI connection. So connecting an Nvidia “directly to soundbar” wil not work.

Thanks Ken, could not have done that without you. Much appreciated 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Pages 40/41 cover the TV audio settings, you need “Multichannel bypass”.

https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/50pus7855_12/50pus7855_12_dfu_eng.pdf

No. The Sonos input is only on the ARC/eARC pins, and not the standard audio pins for HDMI. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No. The Sonos input is only on the ARC/eARC pins, and not the standard audio pins for HDMI. 

So the Sonos doesn't have HDMI/ in on it's side for direct connection to devices?

No. It only has one HDMI port, meant to be connected to the (e)ARC on a TV.

Bought a LG g series and the beam 2. Have shows and films with atmos and while the sonos is connected via the earc and the output is though the sonos, I cannot get the app to display anything other than showing stereo pcm. What the hell is going on?

The usual sound settings to go with on the LG TV are:

• Simplink & Auto-Power Sync: ‘ON’
  • Sound Out: ‘HDMI ARC’
  • HDMI Input Audio Format: ‘Bitstream’
  • Digital Sound Out: ‘Pass Through’
  • eARC: ‘On’
  • DTV Audio: ‘Auto’
Badge

I did try the optical cable also by the way, same issue

Badge

Hi, thanks for your reply. I can confirm yes to all of the above except tv speakers off. The options are hdmi sound system or TV speakers off, it only works if I have hdmi sound system selected. What else could it be?

Badge

The last won’t work. Sonos needs HDMI-ARC that the Nvidia does not do.

What do u mean ? Nvidia shield has no HDMI out connection? I checked on the web it does

No, the Shield (I own one) does not have an HDMI-ARC output, so sends it’s audio to different pins on the connector. You cannot get sound on a Sonos soundbar connected to a “normal” non-ARC HDMI connection. So connecting an Nvidia “directly to soundbar” wil not work.

Ok I understand, I do not have a shield device with me. But on another occasion I have read a post in a forum that stated that a soundbar had no sound in HDMI arc but once they connect it to the normal HDMI in port they had sound 

Badge

So the Sonos doesn't have HDMI/ in on it's side for direct connection to devices?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Your profile says you have an Arc: does yours have one?

Badge

Your profile says you have an Arc: does yours have one?

Well It's part of the requirements to register. But I wanted to just answer the author's question 

Badge

On further investigation 'personal mode settings' is completely greyed out and I'm unable to select 

I have the same kind of phillips tv The sound personal modes are for the Tv speakers. When the TV speakers are off they will naturally be greyed out due to HDMI sound system being connected because now yr tv is outputting sound to an external audio system 

Badge

I did already. It allows me to turn the TV speakers off but the same issue, only sound is stereo pcm

multichannel option does is encode audio to common format like 5.1 or ac3.. watever yr soundbar understands
Multichannel ( bypass) does not re encode the source audio but sends out the bitstream to the soundbar or receiver. If u choose DD+ or atmos  and u choose bypass option but yr soundbar  do not have DD+ or atmos , u will have no sound because the Receiver in yr soundbar does not understand these formats when its sent the bitstream

the last option stereo uncompressed sends 2 channel PCM to the soundbar ( i am not sure if the tv somehow re encodes or downmixes dolby to stereo ect>)

Since HDMI ARC cant do 5.1 /7.1 uncompressed multichannel PCM ( LPCM) ony stereo uncompressed is possible

Badge

Sound out settings. Can confirm all above is correct also

Badge

I did already. It allows me to turn the TV speakers off but the same issue, only sound is stereo pcm

multichannel option does is encode audio to common format like 5.1 or ac3.. watever yr soundbar understands
Multichannel ( bypass) does not re encode the source audio but sends out the bitstream to the soundbar or receiver. If u choose DD+ or atmos  and u choose bypass option but yr soundbar  do not have DD+ or atmos , u will have no sound because the Receiver in yr soundbar does not understand these formats when its sent the bitstream

the last option stereo uncompressed sends 2 channel PCM to the soundbar ( i am not sure if the tv somehow re encodes or downmixes dolby to stereo ect>)

Since HDMI ARC cant do 5.1 /7.1 uncompressed multichannel PCM ( LPCM) ony stereo uncompressed is possible

Badge

Personal mode settings is greyed out, as you can see in this photo. When the sonos 

Badge

Thanks for the info. How did you get around this? Do I need to buy a new TV or are there settings that work? I still haven't fixed

Badge

When the sonos was powered off and the sound was coming through the TV, the personal mode settings was not greyed out and I could access the options. Soon as I power sonos on, it is greyed out?

Bought a LG g series and the beam 2. Have shows and films with atmos and while the sonos is connected via the earc and the output is though the sonos, I cannot get the app to display anything other than showing stereo pcm. What the hell is going on?

Badge

Thanks for the info. How did you get around this? Do I need to buy a new TV or are there settings that work? I still haven't fixed

I do not have  Sonos. Only Yamaha SR-B20A. But since this topic  interested me I replied to clarify things. With Phillips TVs,  there is confusion in the audio settings of the tv because they do not have options to select the type of sound like LG or Samsung tvs.

It's more of automatic settings but I have tried 3 soundbars , 2 of them high end ones on the tv and all of them do work in either one of the 3 options available in the tv audio settings.

Multichannel option is for soundbars that do not understand specific formats so the tv will output by downmixing to general dolby digital 2.0 or ac3 core  by stripping out the specific metadata from DD plus or Atmos to solve compatibility issues. 

The multichannel bypass option is for av receiver or higher end soundbars and standalone receivers with Atmos , DTS X or DD plus   I am not sure why  the Sonos behaves in that's way  but to me it looks like it only outputs stereo (2.0) even though in the website it's stated that it does a variety of multichannel formats. I think it's a sonos firmware problem OR I think it only outputs multichannel sound in E-ARC connections . ( Came across such discussion in other forums about the Sonos firmware defect) 

I have the Yamaha soundbar (SR-B20A) supports Dolby digital and DTS multichannel formats and outputs in virtual surround . I assume the Sonos is only giving  pcm 2.0 which is why u getting only stereo? In  this case u are getting stereo uncompressed which is a pcm signal. It should be clearer in quality than Dolby digital 2.0 or 5.1 which are equivalent to compressed audio like mp3 or AAC . So the problem here is yr Sonos . In my Yamaha soundbar when stereo uncompressed (PCM) is detected , the sound bar applies pro logic 2 to give a  surround like effect which in my opinion works great too .

As to yr question, yes the only solution is multichannel or stereo uncompressed should able to work with Sonos if u  have ARC only Phillips tv. The other alternative is to get different soundbar like LG or Samsung or JBL  with Dolby Atmos or DTS capability to output surround sound or an E-ARC TV for  Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Is HDMI3 an output or an input channel? It looks to be a “source” rather than an audio output. 

Badge

Actually I'm not sure what this means. I'm not very technical! How can I check / should I plug into hmdi 2 instead? Thank you

Badge

Tried on Netflix, sky, and 4k blu Ray player with dolby selected within the settings of the blu Ray player. All has the same result. When I initially setup a few weeks ago I did see dolby 5 in the sonos app but I can't for the life of me get it to return. I would be happy with that even if I can't get dolby atmos. I didn't pay this money to listen to stereo

Does the Sonos remote or app had options to choose stereo or other surround formats? If u had chosen stereo in the Sonos remote or app it will play only stereo. Check that. 

Tried on Netflix, sky, and 4k blu Ray player with dolby selected within the settings of the blu Ray player. All has the same result. When I initially setup a few weeks ago I did see dolby 5 in the sonos app but I can't for the life of me get it to return. I would be happy with that even if I can't get dolby atmos. I didn't pay this money to listen to stereo

If I am not wrong, there could be a problem with the Sonos firmware. Try update it . Since u stated that u were able to get Dolby once , yr settings set in both the tv and devices should be correct .