Answered

Sonos Sub keeps disconnecting from wired Beam 2 (5.1 setup)

• 18 February 2022
  • 38 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

I take it back, still haven’t problems.

What were the other ‘unresolved Sub reports’ that you were referring to in your earlier post  that you said were similar to yours and had been reported since a recent App update? -

I will read through them, just to see if anything else may come to mind. Can you post the links to those threads here please so we can see - (thanks)👍

Also what issues are you experiencing now, might it be related to your WiFi extenders. Can you outline how you have configured the wired/wireless network (particularly what SSID’s & channels are in use on each AP) and which Sonos devices are wired/wireless.

That said, you may find it easier perhaps to give Sonos Support another call.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I take it back, still haven’t problems.

What were the other ‘unresolved Sub reports’ that you were referring to in your earlier post  that you said were similar to yours and had been reported since a recent App update? -

I will read through them, just to see if anything else may come to mind. Can you post the links to those threads here please so we can see - (thanks)👍

Also what issues are you experiencing now, might it be related to your WiFi extenders. Can you outline how you have configured the wired/wireless network (particularly what SSID’s & channels are in use on each AP) and which Sonos devices are wired/wireless.

That said, you may find it easier perhaps to give Sonos Support another call.

I meant, still having problems. Autocorrect.

As I have stated multiple times, I no longer have any extenders. Just the main router and a wired system. Only the Beam 2 is wired. The Sonos tech couldn’t not identify any major problems at this time but the Sub keeps dropping out. 

As I have stated multiple times, I no longer have any extenders. Just the main router and a wired system. Only the Beam 2 is wired. The Sonos tech couldn’t not identify any major problems at this time but the Sub keeps dropping out. 

So perhaps go back to Sonos Support to see if they can assist you further - the Sub connects to its main bonded player (your Beam2 presumably) using a 5Ghz Ad-hoc connection - it does not connect directly to your network unless the Beam’s WiFi adapter has mistakenly been switched off - it maybe the case something is interfering with that 5Ghz signal between the two Sonos products.. often a reboot of the main player (Beam) will resolve such things… if not, then go back to Sonos Support.

Userlevel 7

The diagnostic from the tech was able to identify that my Living Room Playbar had a Wi-Fi network in memory that somehow it was trying to connect to. This was a network that didn’t even longer existed in my house anymore. On any case, that seemed to be the culprit. I did a factory reset on the Playbar and everything was fixed. Almost 24 hours without a disconnections. The weird thing is that the Sub I am having trouble with was in the basement paired to the Beam.

Have you factory reset the Sub (gen3) and added it back to your system? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

So perhaps go back to Sonos Support to see if they can assist you further - the Sub connects to its main bonded player (your Beam2 presumably) using a 5Ghz Ad-hoc connection - it does not connect directly to your network unless the Beam’s WiFi adapter has mistakenly been switched off - it maybe the case something is interfering with that 5Ghz signal between the two Sonos products.. often a reboot of the main player (Beam) will resolve such things… if not, then go back to Sonos Support.

So, wanted to give you an update. I ended up trying a few more things and gave up. Took Subwoofer back to the store and, thankfully, they took it back in exchange for a new unit. Came home, installed it, and haven’t had a problem in 3 days. Must have been a defective Sub after all. This has been a crazy and frustrating experience but happy that it seems to have been solved. I will let you know if I get to a week with no issues.

Could have got there a lot quicker if you’d swapped your subs around. 

What makes you think that? I switched them around and it still happened. It was definitely a defective unit. 

NO disconnections since exchange to a new unit.

Userlevel 7

What makes you think that? I switched them around and it still happened. It was definitely a defective unit. 

NO disconnections since exchange to a new unit.

You never confirmed you swapped the subs around or what the outcome was.

If the Gen3 Sub disconnected when connected to your Living Room Playbar, whilst the Gen2 Sub remained connected in your Basement it would point towards an issue with the Gen3 Sub, rather than a connection issue in your basement. Therefore, potentially saving you the $200 you spent troubleshooting the issue.

Anyway, I am glad you now have a new unit and are no longer having issues. Happy listening.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The diagnostic from the tech was able to identify that my Living Room Playbar had a Wi-Fi network in memory that somehow it was trying to connect to. This was a network that didn’t even longer existed in my house anymore. On any case, that seemed to be the culprit. I did a factory reset on the Playbar and everything was fixed. Almost 24 hours without a disconnections. The weird thing is that the Sub I am having trouble with was in the basement paired to the Beam.

Have you factory reset the Sub (gen3) and added it back to your system? 

Yes, more times than I can remember.

Userlevel 7

So, wanted to give you an update. I ended up trying a few more things and gave up. Took Subwoofer back to the store and, thankfully, they took it back in exchange for a new unit. Came home, installed it, and haven’t had a problem in 3 days. Must have been a defective Sub after all. This has been a crazy and frustrating experience but happy that it seems to have been solved. I will let you know if I get to a week with no issues.

Could have got there a lot quicker if you’d swapped your subs around. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

The Beam is wired to a Linksys router extender.

Whether this is a simple WiFi extender or a wireless mesh node, this is an unsupported configuration. There needs to be a wired path back to the router.

Wiring to a mesh primary node is permissible. Extenders aren’t supported at all. 

Except that I have had it like this on my other Sonia system for the past 4+ years without absolutely zero issues.

Whether this is a simple WiFi extender or a wireless mesh node, this is an unsupported configuration. There needs to be a wired path back to the router.

Wiring to a mesh primary node is permissible. Extenders aren’t supported at all. 

Except that I have had it like this on my other Sonia system for the past 4+ years without absolutely zero issues.

I think you mean with ..zero issues.
What @ratty and I mentioned is correct. If you see the below link to the Sonos ‘System Requirements’ you will see that it mentions…

1. In WiFi mesh networks, Sonos products must be wired to the primary mesh node if using a wired setup.
  2. If you need to extend your home WiFi to use Sonos in a wireless setup, we recommend using a WiFi mesh router to do so.

And the following networks and devices are unsupported:

• Wireless internet connections such as satellite, mobile hotspots, or LTE routers
  • Guest networks or networks that use a portal login page
  • Networks using wireless range extenders (see also 2 above)
  • Ethernet over Power (EOP) devices
  • WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

See link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126

Userlevel 1
Badge

I think you mean with ..zero issues.
What @ratty and I mentioned is correct. If you see the below link to the Sonos ‘System Requirements’ you will see that it mentions…

1. In WiFi mesh networks, Sonos products must be wired to the primary mesh node if using a wired setup.
  2. If you need to extend your home WiFi to use Sonos in a wireless setup, we recommend using a WiFi mesh router to do so.

And the following networks and devices are unsupported:

• Wireless internet connections such as satellite, mobile hotspots, or LTE routers
  • Guest networks or networks that use a portal login page
  • Networks using wireless range extenders (see also 2 above)
  • Ethernet over Power (EOP) devices
  • WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

See link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126

Sorry for the spelling errors before. I was in a rush.

Thank you for your response regarding this configuration. Would you be able to explain why this is a problem that only affects the Gen3 Sub and not my other Gen2 Sub or surround speakers?. They are all connected to the same network in exactly the same manner and only the Gen3 keeps disconnecting.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry for the spelling errors before. I was in a rush.

Thank you for your response regarding this configuration. Would you be able to explain why this is a problem that only affects the Gen3 Sub and not my other Gen2 Sub or surround speakers?. They are all connected to the same network in exactly the same manner and only the Gen3 keeps disconnecting.

A Sonos Subs does not ‘normally’ use a local router WiFi, or SonosNet signal - instead it connects directly to its ‘bonded’ speaker/main-player using either a 5Ghz ad-hoc wireless connection (which is highly recommended method of connectivity). or in some cases it may use a wired network connection if the wireless connection to the main player is inhibited by its WiFi adapter being switched off (not a recommended method of connectivity) …In the latter case, it’s always good practice to wire all players, but as stated that type of setup is not helpful in some cases, as network latency often comes into play with that type of setup.

If the first ad-hoc wireless setup method is proving problematic for you, then perhaps the first thing to look at is ‘wireless interference’ in and around the Sub and the main bonded player. Sometimes, a simple reboot of the main player can solve the situation, or simply moving the Sub closer to the main player, or changing its location in the room might sort the matter.

The reasons for the earlier settings mentioned was mostly to improve the overall network connectivity and reduce the general wireless interference, so that the SSDP multicast discovery of the players and unicast connection could be improved using SonosNet on the same chosen channel, rather than using your WiFi mesh system, which may have Hubs operating on their own different WiFi channels.

Hope that assists.

So in conclusion, would my problem be solved if I just wired the Beam directly to the Verizon FIOS modem/router instead of the extender?

@Shadowboricua 

I will just also briefly re-state what was mentioned earlier and that is WiFi range extenders are not an ‘officially supported’ connection method by Sonos, but some devices can and do work - but not all.

If you later find they do not operate correctly for multicast discovery of your Sonos devices in your case, then you can quickly take them out of the equation by simply changing their broadcasting SSID and (importantly) the channels they use, so that they do not clash with your router or SonosNet signals …and use those extenders for other home network devices, but then ensure your Sonos mobile controller connects only to the main routers WiFi signal.

It may not come to this being necessary in your case, but just mention it here, so you at least know where to go next if you continue to have any issues with your system.