Answered

sonos beam gen 2 plays only dolby digital 5.1

Badge +1
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 12 replies

Hei! I have a sonos beam gen 2 connected to a Philips 50PUS616/12 through Hdmi Arc. I have an apple tv conected to other hdmi and despitethe fact that most shows have dolby atmos, i never experienced it since the sonos app says that it is streamed in dolby digital 5.1

any hints? Can i ever see dolby atmos on the app?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 April 2024, 06:52

View original

36 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Not heard of anyone doing that doubt it can be done sorry 

Badge +1

Thanks! Maybe any advice for tv settings that i miss?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Thanks! Maybe any advice for tv settings that i miss?

I don’t have your make of tv never owned a Phillips tv maybe do a google search for it and the make for recommendations sorry I can’t assist you more 

Badge +1

Thank you again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@kalex

Unfortunately your TV seems not to be able to handle Atmos at all. So any device that could deliver atmos in general gets the information from your tv via cec that Atmos isn’t supported. 
Just a new tv or an hdmi audioextractor with a hdmi eARC input for cennection to Sonos Arc would help. 

Badge +1

Thanks! Can you please give me a hint on what a hdmi audioextractor with a hdmi eARC looks like? Any link?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thanks! Can you please give me a hint on what a hdmi audioextractor with a hdmi eARC looks like? Any link?

Myself I use the FeinTech VAX 04101

https://feintech.eu/products/feintech-vax04101-hdmi-earc-pass-switch-4x1-for-soundbar

There is the HD Fury Arcana, the Feintech VAX04101k, and the OREI HDA-935. You can also order from those links from the companies directly, or check your local retailers for availability. Amazon may carry some, depending on location. At this point, there may be more manufacturers, I haven’t been keeping track.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Airgetlam

The three devices you have listed are the only I know to get a hdmi eARC input. 

The Arcana seems to be the most expensive and has only one standard hdmi input port to connect source devices. If you need more, an external hdmi switch would be necessary. But I heard a lot of good reviews about the Arcana. 

The FeinTech for me also works great and the company is located here in Germany. They offer awesome support and I had many calls to them. They do a lot on improving the firmware and if necessary even for individual tv setups. 
Unfortunately they don’t deliver outside the EU. Big advantage of the FeinTech is the build in hdmi switch that offers 3 standard inputs plus the eARC input.

The OREI device looks like the same hardware like the FeinTech. But I don’t know anything about how it works and if it has got the same firmware as the FeinTech. I don’t suppose so because FeinTech optimizes a lot on their on software. 
But lately herr in the community there was some good feedback from a user on the OREI. 

Understood. You had provided a single option, I wanted to provide more options and links to the OP, and give them a wider choice, without judgement on which device is ‘better’. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Understood. You had provided a single option, I wanted to provide more options and links to the OP, and give them a wider choice, without judgement on which device is ‘better’. 

All fine…  my intention was just to add some more details about the differences between them. 🤓😉