Sonos beam audio delay while TV power on

• Contributor I
  • 7 replies

When I power up the TCL C835  TV, the Sonos beam gen 1 (connected with eARC) takes at least 10-15 sec to start play audio.  The same model of beam with Samsung TV without such long delay!  Any setting to improve the delay.

11 replies

Userlevel 7

Try disabling the eARC setting on the TV.

Once disabled the eARC setting, the speaker will be no sound at all!

Once disabled the eARC setting, the speaker will be no sound at all!

Not necessarily.  I think @GuitarSuperstar was expecting a setting to turn off eARC but leave HDMI-ARC working.

The fact that it all works fine on another TV is a big hint that this is not a Sonos issue.

There is only eARC setting to turn off but no individual setting for  HDMI-ARC working.

There is only eARC setting to turn off but no individual setting for  HDMI-ARC working.

The Beam (gen1) is not HDMI-eARC (enhanced audio return channel) compatible - so you need to disable eARC and revert the connected HDMI port back to HDMI-ARC (audio return channel) only.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

The Beam (gen1) is not HDMI-eARC (enhanced audio return channel) compatible - so you need to disable eARC and revert the connected HDMI port back to HDMI-ARC (audio return channel) only.

Having an HDMI-ARC TV doesn’t remove the problem. I have an old Insignia Roku TV (NS-32DR420CA16), which only supports HDMI-ARC, connected to my Beam 1 speaker. Yet I still get the same 10-15 second audio delay before sound is heard when starting my TV. It’s why I eventually just decided to use the optical connector instead.

Having an HDMI-ARC TV doesn’t remove the problem. I have an old Insignia Roku TV (NS-32DR420CA16), which only supports HDMI-ARC, connected to my Beam 1 speaker. Yet I still get the same 10-15 second audio delay before sound is heard when starting my TV. It’s why I eventually just decided to use the optical connector instead.

I mentioned it as I thought you were perhaps using eARC from your earlier post, but if you’ve tried HDMI-ARC and Optical connections, then it’s likely just the TV itself.

It does take my old LG TV 10 seconds from pressing the ‘remote’ power-on button until I see the picture on screen and hear audio from the connected Beam, but I have a Sonos Arc connected to a much newer TV (LG C9 OLED) and that takes about 4 seconds (from button press) as the TV has a much faster internal processor. The Sonos products will only play as soon as the TV can send the audio out through its ports. So my own thoughts are it’s perhaps just your older TV.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

The Sonos products will only play as soon as the TV can send the audio out through its ports. So my own thoughts are it’s perhaps just your older TV.

That’s actually my point. I think the issue is more related to the brand of TV itself (how the inner components work), since if you search for HDMI startup audio delays across Web, it’s a common problem across many brands of TVs (and even when connecting to HDMI speakers besides Sonos), regardless of them being new or old. So with some TVs brands, the HDMI audio starts up fairly quickly, while with others, there’s a considerable delay.

BTW I have also seen some audio extractor converter boxes advertised online which normally help to ensure you’re getting dolby atmos (like with a game console) by bypassing the TV audio passthrough and wiring directly to the speaker but I’m not sure if it will actually reduce the startup audio delay or not. Be nice if someone tested this and it did reduce it. Yet also sad that people would have to pay $100+ for an add-on box just to remove this issue.

The Sonos products will only play as soon as the TV can send the audio out through its ports. So my own thoughts are it’s perhaps just your older TV.

That’s actually my point. I think the issue is more related to the brand of TV itself (how the inner components work), since if you search for HDMI startup audio delays across Web, it’s a common problem across many brands of TVs (and even when connecting to HDMI speakers besides Sonos), regardless of them being new or old. So with some TVs brands, the HDMI audio starts up fairly quickly, while with others, there’s a considerable delay.

BTW I have also seen some audio extractor converter boxes advertised online which normally help to ensure you’re getting dolby atmos (like with a game console) by bypassing the TV audio passthrough and wiring directly to the speaker but I’m not sure if it will actually reduce the startup audio delay or not. Be nice if someone tested this and it did reduce it. Yet also sad that people would have to pay $100+ for an add-on box just to remove this issue.

I think most people tebd to purchase those audio extractors for two main reasons, one is where there’s no eARC port on the TV and they want Atmos audio and access to multichannel LPCM etc. The other reason, and perhaps more important, is where the TV has no audio pass-through option, or the TV processor is slow at processing the audio-out to a connected receiver/soundbar, which hampers the audio, resulting in lip-sync issues with the video on screen.

I’m not sure a 15s start-up delay will bother the majority of folk, as long as all then plays perfectly in-sync after launch, but if things are out of sync then that’s when it’s worthwhile considering getting an extractor.

There are bigger issues with A/V playback besides a startup delay. The three common extractors used/mentioned in the community here seem to be the following three devices (in no particular order) - I agree they seem expensive, but they are still much cheaper than purchasing a new smart TV:

HDFury Arcana:

https://www.hdfury.uk/product/hdfury-arcana/

Feintech VAX04101:

https://feintech.eu/en/collections/hdmi-topseller/products/feintech-vax04101-hdmi-earc-pass-switch-4x1-for-soundbar

OREI HDA-931 or OREI HDA-935 (931 is shown in below link):

https://www.orei.com/products/dual-hdmi-earc-audio-extractor-converter-4k-60hz-18g-hdmi-2-0-arc-support-hda-931

When an HDMI connection starts up there is a long list of interrogations that make sure all connected products honor digital rights management and then to negotiate compatible audio and video formats. There are “boxes” designed for commercial use that keep all connections live and will switch between sources within a video frame or two. I’m not aware of any such box that supports ARC or eARC and they are very expensive because each input and output must pay licensing fees and use extra chips.

Interesting discussion, I had some observations.

1. Such delay seems did not happened before S2 launched with my old TV;
  2. If use same brand  of TV’s sound bar which has no such noticeable delay while tv power up;
  3. if u have other android tv box connect with the TV which may cause interference of  Beam connection ( even HDMI-CEC is disabled in the android TV box)