Answered

Sonos Arc + Sub (Gen 3) Intermittent Muting

• 2 December 2022
  • 5 replies

I recently dove in with a Sonos Arc + Sub (Gen 3). Since getting setup, I’ve had nothing but problems and while it sounds incredible and the functionality is excellent, it’s been a bit discouraging. 

The latest issue - and biggest source of frustration - is that the system consistently mutes itself on and off at random times. I know it’s muting because the sound drops out entirely, the green lights on the Arc + Sub come on, and then after anywhere from 10 seconds a full minute the audio comes back.

I run all of my video content through an NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro, and this is where it happens. It hasn’t seemed to do this when streaming directly via apps on the TV, but ultimately I’m not sure if it’s an issue with the Arc, the eARC in my LG B9 OLED, or simply the HDMI cable. I’ve disabled CEC on the SHIELD TV in hopes this would solve it, but it’s still happening. Is the next step to replace the HDMI cable from the SHIELD TV to the TV? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any help or suggestions ✌️

EDIT/UPDATE: As soon as I said it doesn’t happen when streaming directly via the TV apps (ie Netflix on the LG webOS) it’s started skipping there as well now. I’m at a loss as to how to get this high end system functioning as expected without constant issues.

icon

Best answer by JeroenVR 2 December 2022, 11:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

It seems it only happens when the Arc gets the input from the HDMI connection. Am I correct? It does not happen when streaming music using the Sonos-app and/or Airplay?

What other devices are connected to the TV HDMI inputs? Can you try unplug those and try again? Maybe something external is causing this.
Or… When is happens, run a diagnostic code and reach out to Sonos tech support. They can tell what is causing the Arc to mute probably.

See this for a possible fix:

For me the problem was in the nVidia TV Shield Pro advanced audio settings, I had to turn off Dolby Audio Processing and turn on Match content audio resolution.

My Sonos Arc is muting whenever it feels like it. I have sent diagnostics to Sonos and they were of no help. This product is inferior. 

I have the Sonos ARC, Sub woofer and Boost.

I am planning on changing it soon to a Bose system.

I've got the same problem here.

If the system works it's actually good, but i have got both issues with the voice assistants microphone muting bug and the whole system playng no sound at all even though the TV is connected as it should.

How can i run diagnostics? My set is not even half a year old, maybe wanna have my money back if there is no solution.

Unfortunately, while you can run them, only Sonos employees can look at them. Here is how to run them:

Submit a system diagnostic.

Note, once you run it, preferably within 10 minutes of an occurrence of the issue, you need to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. Fortunate, submitting a diagnostic sticks it in a database, so you don’t have to call in the next X minutes, you can call in when you have time.