SONOS Arc Optical to HDMI

• 29 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Wanted to purchase the full package (unfortunately out of stock right now) with the Arc, Sub G3 and 2x One SL but I have an issue.

My TV does not support eARC which means I cannot experience TrueHD Dolby Atmos. I saw that there is an Optical to HDMI adapter included with the Arc.

Does this mean that I CAN experience TrueHD Dolby Atmos using this connector and not having a hassle with two remotes?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No, TOSLINK (optical) does not have the bandwidth for Atmos. You can use Arcana to play Atmos from an external box, but not from a TV App. I can’t promise that Arcana will solve the two remote issue, but you might get lucky.

However, normal HDMI ARC does have the bandwidth for Dolby Digital Plus, which does carry a version of Atmos, as well as using CEC to carry the remote’s commands. 

No, TOSLINK (optical) does not have the bandwidth for Atmos. You can use Arcana to play Atmos from an external box, but not from a TV App. I can’t promise that Arcana will solve the two remote issue, but you might get lucky.

However, normal HDMI ARC does have the bandwidth for Dolby Digital Plus, which does carry a version of Atmos, as well as using CEC to carry the remote’s commands. 

Thanks for both replies, Buzz and Airgetlam. I am using these apps on my TV as well as a TV receiver from the TV company: Netflix, Prime, Youtube, Spotify. Do these apps support DD+ and Dolby Atmos? Feel kinda ripped off by Samsung giving me false promises regarding eARC suport on my TV.

Im already helped with my issue/question using a different tech-platform :)

- Optical does not support Atmos TrueHD
- The HDMI ARC connection works fine with my Sonos setup
- The streaming services I use do not support Atmos TrueHD
- These do support DD+ whatever the ARC connection supports.
- I can use a HDFury Arcana in the future for Atmos TrueHD.

As far as that goes, I don't have to worry about the problems that the combination of TV and soundbar could cause. Moreover, I can use the HDMI cable and there is no fuss.