Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Userlevel 3

I was playing on my Xbox when the arc suddenly made an extremely loud pop sound and then lost audio completely. The app wouldn’t let me adjust the volume and Alexa wake up didn’t emit its usual tone. I had to remove the power from the arc and reapply which resumed the audio. I’m concerned that one of the speakers in the arc may have been damaged when this happened. Has anyone had this issue?

We have had no issues with the arc since purchasing it earlier this year.

Corry P 5 months ago

Hi Everyone!

Good news! We are pleased to share that our team has identified a fix for the popping sound on Arc and it will be shipped to all customers as part of a software release today, Thursday Nov 16 at 09:30 ET, 14:30 GMT, 15:30 CET. Please note that some app stores may take an extra hour or two for it to become available.

During our investigation we uncovered a rare bug that impacts how Sonos Arc and Beam (Gen 2) in certain home theater configurations process Dolby MAT, a streaming technology which is used to deliver Dolby Atmos audio over HDMI. Occasionally a Sonos product will receive a corrupted audio segment from an external source and needs to filter out unwanted audio data. The bug we identified was allowing our Dolby decoder to play audible errors on certain home theater setups rather than concealing them. The solution we’ve built and tested improves our Dolby decoder so it better filters out corrupt audio data that can manifest as a popping sound. We’ll continue to monitor customer feedback closely after the fix has been released and ship additional updates if necessary.

We strive to deliver the best listening experience possible and work to address major issues that impact our customers. We apologize for the disruption this bug has caused and want to thank you for your patience while our team developed a fix.

We would also like to thank our community users for their detailed setup information and steps to reproduce the issue, which were helpful to us in uncovering the cause of the bug.

View original

1200 replies

I saw this link in another thread, so here’s my experience with it…. I have a Sony TV, although that doesn’t seem to matter. When I first got the TV, I had a Sonos Beam Gen 2. I heard the pop a few times, but nothing major. Whatever…. I upgraded to the Arc in April of this year and used a Fire Stick for a while with no issue with Atmos content. Same with the Xbox. No issues at that time there either, so long as the Fire Stick was hooked up. A couple of months ago, I got a new Apple TV and it was fine at first, but this week, it won’t go more than 20 minutes without the pop. I paid $900 for this and can’t play Atmos content on it. With Atmos off and it just playing 5.1, it’s totally fine, but that’s not what I signed up for/paid for. This setup is around $2k. I could’ve bought a Vizio 5.1.2 for every TV in the house for that 😂. Get your * together, Sonos. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I’m living with the CEC-off solution at the moment. The least annoying compromise for me.

I still expect Sonos to acknowledge the issue in an FAQ or disclaimer though. New customers should be warned about the potential problem so that they can make an informed decision. 

I really wonder why this problem occurs with so many different patterns. For me, for example, it doesn't do any good to turn off CEC. I turned it off on the Xbox and the TV and the bang still comes with Dolby Atmos. The only thing that works for me is switching to Dolby Digital 5.1

Have you tried factory reset and not to trueplay?

FYI: now many weeks later since prior posts and this (reset to factory but don’t run Trueplay when setting back up) completely solved the problem with Arc + twin 300s. 

Nutshell version: executed initial setup to the “run Trueplay” step but couldn’t Trueplay for a few hours due to uncontrollable noise in the environment. Enjoyed the speakers for those few hours: they sounded as great as we all expect of Sonos speakers. When the noise ceased, ran Trueplay and the Pop-fest immediately followed (only variable changed was running Trueplay)… not just from ATMOS sources but even Sonos HD Radio and when touching the buttons on top of the Arc. Any source whether simple stereo to ATMOS was popping in a way that made us worry about the speaker. We initially believed it was blown speaker(s).

Reset to factory but bailed on the setup process again at the “set up Trueplay” step. No pops since. No other variables changed (same source, same cables, same kinds of content). CEC is on and ATMOS playback, Dolby playback, Stereo & Mono playback, sounds from the interface (button pushes on Arc) yield NO pops at all. 

Gut says that if we ran Trueplay again, the pops would return… which would be a verifying step if we repeated it and got the same (popping) results. But they play and sound great now and we don’t want to re-stir this pot. 

While only a single instance and thus not ideal from which to draw broad conclusions, those frustrated with no other remedy may want to give this one a try. Given the variety of hardware sources, cables, audio types, etc in play, it seems common ground variables like internal software would be much more likely to be the cause than select implementations of ATMOS, CEC, Dolby MAT, cables, AppleTV, Xbox, et all. Since Trueplay is something most people automatically run soon after pulling these out of their boxes, if it is the cause or plays a role, obviously most/all(?) of the speakers with the problem likely ran Trueplay. 

If it’s everybody else that must change their tech to work with Sonos, it seems this will NEVER get resolved. But if it’s internal software, that could be a bug(s) for Sonos to find & fix. Those willing: test & report. If there is something here, it will give Sonos an area on which to focus and maybe a fix for up to everyone. 

its not trueplay, I have a sonos beam v2 set up with an android device and i get the pop sound randomly.

I bought an Arc looking to add more components little by little. While setting up my PS5, pop occurred and my internet research led me to here. 2 years!!! The level of ignorance from Sonos is infuriating. This would happen to most of us after the return period, leaving us stuck with a faulty equipment. They cannot reproduce it? No, I don’t believe the lie. 

I won’t turn off cec or dolby atmos. Arc is advertised with those specs and I paid top dollar for it. I will return the Arc, stay away from Sonos, and suggest friends and family the same.

Badge +1

I bought an Arc looking to add more components little by little. While setting up my PS5, pop occurred and my internet research led me to here. 2 years!!! The level of ignorance from Sonos is infuriating. This would happen to most of us after the return period, leaving us stuck with a faulty equipment. They cannot reproduce it? No, I don’t believe the lie. 

I won’t turn off cec or dolby atmos. Arc is advertised with those specs and I paid top dollar for it. I will return the Arc, stay away from Sonos, and suggest friends and family the same.

Just try disabling cec and see if it works 🌚

Just try disabling cec and see if it works 🌚

Mate

Badge +1

I’m living with the CEC-off solution at the moment. The least annoying compromise for me.

I still expect Sonos to acknowledge the issue in an FAQ or disclaimer though. New customers should be warned about the potential problem so that they can make an informed decision. 

I really wonder why this problem occurs with so many different patterns. For me, for example, it doesn't do any good to turn off CEC. I turned it off on the Xbox and the TV and the bang still comes with Dolby Atmos. The only thing that works for me is switching to Dolby Digital 5.1

FYI: now many weeks later since prior posts and this (reset to factory but don’t run Trueplay when setting back up) completely solved the problem with Arc + twin 300s. 

Nutshell version: executed initial setup to the “run Trueplay” step but couldn’t Trueplay for a few hours due to uncontrollable noise in the environment. Enjoyed the speakers for those few hours: they sounded as great as we all expect of Sonos speakers. When the noise ceased, ran Trueplay and the Pop-fest immediately followed (only variable changed was running Trueplay)… not just from ATMOS sources but even Sonos HD Radio and when touching the buttons on top of the Arc. Any source whether simple stereo to ATMOS was popping in a way that made us worry about the speaker. We initially believed it was blown speaker(s).

Reset to factory but bailed on the setup process again at the “set up Trueplay” step. No pops since. No other variables changed (same source, same cables, same kinds of content). CEC is on and ATMOS playback, Dolby playback, Stereo & Mono playback, sounds from the interface (button pushes on Arc) yield NO pops at all. 

Gut says that if we ran Trueplay again, the pops would return… which would be a verifying step if we repeated it and got the same (popping) results. But they play and sound great now and we don’t want to re-stir this pot. 

While only a single instance and thus not ideal from which to draw broad conclusions, those frustrated with no other remedy may want to give this one a try. Given the variety of hardware sources, cables, audio types, etc in play, it seems common ground variables like internal software would be much more likely to be the cause than select implementations of ATMOS, CEC, Dolby MAT, cables, AppleTV, Xbox, et all. Since Trueplay is something most people automatically run soon after pulling these out of their boxes, if it is the cause or plays a role, obviously most/all(?) of the speakers with the problem likely ran Trueplay. 

If it’s everybody else that must change their tech to work with Sonos, it seems this will NEVER get resolved. But if it’s internal software, that could be a bug(s) for Sonos to find & fix. Those willing: test & report. If there is something here, it will give Sonos an area on which to focus and maybe a fix for up to everyone. 

its not trueplay, I have a sonos beam v2 set up with an android device and i get the pop sound randomly.

So I presume you ran Trueplay, right… because that’s encouraged in the setup right out of the box? If popping, factory reset, set back up and do NOT run Trueplay. Still popping with all else the same? 

The other variation of my wild guess is in select combinations. In my friends case, that’s Arc + Twin 300s. Before the Trueplay run for several hours, no pops. After Trueplay, immediate pop-a-rama from any audio sources including just using the buttons on top of arc. Reset to factory and set back up EXCEPT not running Trueplay: perfectly good Sonos sound for a few weeks now. All other variables (source, cables, settings, etc) are unchanged. 

If not Trueplay in this case, it’s some kind of magic or luck… because everything else involved is exactly the same. The ONLY unique variable is running and not running Trueplay.

I also have Arc plus a Move sharing a room. I’ve run Trueplay on them many times. No pops ever. So one combination of Arc + Twin 300s with Trueplay ran = Popfest. Another combination of Arc + Move with Trueplay ran = No Pops. Perhaps it’s in combinations or solos and perhaps in how Trueplay sets up with combined or solo setups?

Just trying to help here. I can’t hardly believe it can be all these other pieces of equipment and it makes no sense to “turn off CEC” and/or “turn off ATMOS” for speakers sold as CEC and ATMOS speakers. What is the COMMON variable in all cases? The speakers themselves. So most likely the problem is with the speakers or speaker software. Since many- like ME- can report an Arc setup with NO pops, it’s probably NOT the hardware (unless bad batch)… which leads me to suspecting the software… especially after the experience described above. 

The key to ruling this guess out is the factory reset, set back up again but bail at the Trueplay setup step. Does a popping speaker stop popping? It certainly did for my friend and hasn’t for weeks now.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

So I presume you ran Trueplay, right… because that’s encouraged in the setup right out of the box? If popping, factory reset, set back up and do NOT run Trueplay. Still popping with all else the same? 

The other variation of my wild guess is in select combinations. In my friends case, that’s Arc + Twin 300s. Before the Trueplay run for several hours, no pops. After Trueplay, immediate pop-a-rama from any audio sources including just using the buttons on top of arc. Reset to factory and set back up EXCEPT not running Trueplay: perfectly good Sonos sound for a few weeks now. All other variables (source, cables, settings, etc) are unchanged. 

If not Trueplay in this case, it’s some kind of magic or luck… because everything else involved is exactly the same. The ONLY unique variable is running and not running Trueplay.

I also have Arc plus a Move sharing a room. I’ve run Trueplay on them many times. No pops ever. So one combination of Arc + Twin 300s with Trueplay ran = Popfest. Another combination of Arc + Move with Trueplay ran = No Pops. Perhaps it’s in combinations or solos and perhaps in how Trueplay sets up with combined or solo setups?

Just trying to help here. I can’t hardly believe it can be all these other pieces of equipment and it makes no sense to “turn off CEC” and/or “turn off ATMOS” for speakers sold as CEC and ATMOS speakers. What is the COMMON variable in all cases? The speakers themselves. So most likely the problem is with the speakers or speaker software. Since many- like ME- can report an Arc setup with NO pops, it’s probably NOT the hardware (unless bad batch)… which leads me to suspecting the software… especially after the experience described above. 

The key to ruling this guess out is the factory reset, set back up again but bail at the Trueplay setup step. Does a popping speaker stop popping? It certainly did for my friend and hasn’t for weeks now.

The key piece of information in this person’s reply is that they set it up with an Android device.  Trueplay is not supported on Android phones, so they could not run Trueplay on their system (unless they borrowed an iPhone or an iPad, which then, why bother replying).

No i did not setup trueplay with any iphone.  It doesn't pop that often but it does stop playing sound does something like a reset or something the light on top starts pulsing after it.  Dolby Atmos is on, it is connected to my pc with a Arcana Earc converter between my pc and my sonos.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Tick Tock and still we wait for the fix to arrive.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have owned my arc since release and never had an issue. I use my Apple TV every day with Dolby atmos. Never had a pop. Noticed the other day that Atmos was now available on ps5 so enabled it. 

played Jedi survivor for a whole week with no issues. 

soon as I started playing Spider-Man 2 tonight I get a huge pop and no audio. Have to change inputs to get audio back. Play for 45 seconds huge loud pop and no audio. 

tv is a Sony A80J. 

Spider-Man 2 is running at 120hz with HDR and VRR. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Now ever since the pop has happened I have a massive audio delay on my Apple TV with atmos. 

this is awful all of a sudden my arc is stuffed

Userlevel 3
Badge

Now ever since the pop has happened I have a massive audio delay on my Apple TV with atmos. 

Wish we had some good news for you chief. Sadly Sonos do not give a **** about fixing this. Now now, not for the past 3 years. 

So far I haven’t had any pops lately, I cant remember what I was doing when I had it pop.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Wish we had some good news for you chief. Sadly Sonos do not give a **** about fixing this. Now now, not for the past 3 years. 

So everything was perfectly in sync before I got the first pop today. 

so are you saying that it will just never be back in sync now?

Userlevel 3
Badge

First time I’ve come across a desync issue after a pop. Does the desync go away if you disable Atmos?

Badge +1

Did you power cycle all devices? If not, try it

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

First time I’ve come across a desync issue after a pop. Does the desync go away if you disable Atmos?

Yup goes away if atmos is disabled. 

this is using my Apple TV

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

It also goes away if earc is disabled so the atmos MAT is converted atmos DD+

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

So an update. Had to completely factory reset the Apple TV to fix the lip sync issue. 

so it’s back to the way it was. Wondering if it was just a coincidence both things happened at once. 

After a power cycle the atmos is now working on the ps5 with no pops. Might just power the arc on and off regularly and see if that helps. 

as I said was playing all week with atmos on Jedi survivor with zero issues. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have owned my arc since release and never had an issue. I use my Apple TV every day with Dolby atmos. Never had a pop. Noticed the other day that Atmos was now available on ps5 so enabled it. 

soon as I started playing Spider-Man 2 tonight I get a huge pop and no audio. Have to change inputs to get audio back. Play for 45 seconds huge loud pop and no audio. 

tv is a Sony A80J. 

​​Spider-Man 2 is running at 120hz with HDR and VRR. 

there you go ! As I always say when you play games on 120hz with VRR on the POP happens . You probably didn’t play any games on VRR with 120hz before therefore you never experienced it 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

tv is a Sony A80J. 

​​Spider-Man 2 is running at 120hz with HDR and VRR. 

there you go ! As I always say when you play games on 120hz with VRR on the POP happens . You probably didn’t play any games on VRR with 120hz before therefore you never experienced it 

Jedi survivor is 120hz VRR I believe. Anyway played Spider-Man all day today and it didn’t happen so no idea what’s going on. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

A friend of mine has been playing PS5 with Dolby Atmos MAT for days and has no problems. He has an Arc + LG CX (2020) and I have the same setup only with the LG CS9 (2022). For me it pops within 10 minutes and for him it doesn't pop at all. The only question is, is it the TV or isn't every Sonos Arc affected? He plays today Spider-Man 2 for 6h and no pop.

Badge +1

A friend of mine has been playing PS5 with Dolby Atmos MAT for days and has no problems. He has an Arc + LG CX (2020) and I have the same setup only with the LG CS9 (2022). For me it pops within 10 minutes and for him it doesn't pop at all. The only question is, is it the TV or isn't every Sonos Arc affected? He plays today Spider-Man 2 for 6h and no pop.

Both of you using same graphic mode with vrr?

saw someone in reddit with pop in spiderman 2, he change the audio setting in ps5 to av and 7.1 channels and the pop no more

Badge +1

Every Sonos Arc is NOT affected. I’ve had one for maybe 4 years without a single POP. 

And the blame game redirection implies that it’s not any one thing- like not just AppleTV or Xbox or PS5 or a television or a cable or ATMOS setting on or CEC setting on. There’s too many different third party potential catalysts while others have no issue for me to believe it’s any 1+ (external) thing. 

I go back to the common denominator- the Arc itself- (me) guessing either a bad batch (if hardware) or something in on-board software is driving this issue. It’s easier to sling blame at other stuff but look at the example I offered:

• my own has never popped in maybe 4 years of ownership
  • my friends was fine for a few hours before running Trueplay, then pop-mania for anything that generated audio (including stereo music or just touching the buttons on the arc) starting immediately AFTER running Trueplay, then factory reset + setup again but skipping Trueplay step: no more pops for weeks now. All other variables & settings (TV, cable, sources of video & audio, etc remain consistently the same) but no more pops. What changed? For them, it was not re-running Trueplay on a fresh setup. If not Trueplay (bug, which some have since seemed to negate), the factory reset seemed to fix it. 

If it’s ATMOS or CEC or TV or cable, it would consistently repeat by using that same tech and the same settings. But it seems that it is not replicable for many, which implies it is probably NOT much of the stuff getting the (redirection) blame. 

I have to think it is some bugs in software or a bad batch of hardware production. Else, if it is any one thing, someone could:

• set up an Arc, hook it to the catalyst thing, generate pops.
  • Factory reset, bypass the catalyst thing, no pops.
  • Insert the catalyst thing again, generate pops. 

Pinning it down like this would allow others to run the same test, generate the same result and then the blame game would have more credibility… and SONOS themselves could execute the same test to replicate it themselves. Instead, we have 45 pages of “my setup is generating pops” with others saying “my <different> setup is generating pops” and other people sharing their same setup does NOT generate pops or that their Arc- like my own- has NEVER popped. 

Collectively find an absolute, repeatable cause & effect catalyst, repeated/repeatable on more than one Arc and it would give SONOS an absolute point of focus. As is, we’re all over the place with possible causes and possible remedies with others countering each guess. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Every Sonos Arc is NOT affected. I’ve had one for maybe 4 years without a single POP. 

And the blame game redirection implies that it’s not any one thing- like not just AppleTV or Xbox or PS5 or a television or a cable or ATMOS setting on or CEC setting on. There’s too many different third party potential catalysts while others have no issue for me to believe it’s any 1+ (external) thing. 

I go back to the common denominator- the Arc itself- (me) guessing either a bad batch (if hardware) or something in on-board software is driving this issue. It’s easier to sling blame at other stuff but look at the example I offered:

• my own has never popped in maybe 4 years of ownership
  • my friends was fine for a few hours before running Trueplay, then pop-mania for anything that generated audio (including stereo music or just touching the buttons on the arc) starting immediately AFTER running Trueplay, then factory reset + setup again but skipping Trueplay step: no more pops for weeks now. All other variables & settings (TV, cable, sources of video & audio, etc remain consistently the same) but no more pops. What changed? For them, it was not re-running Trueplay on a fresh setup. If not Trueplay (bug, which some have since seemed to negate), the factory reset seemed to fix it. 

If it’s ATMOS or CEC or TV or cable, it would consistently repeat by using that same tech and the same settings. But it seems that it is not replicable for many, which implies it is probably NOT much of the stuff getting the (redirection) blame. 

I have to think it is some bugs in software or a bad batch of hardware production. Else, if it is any one thing, someone could:

• set up an Arc, hook it to the catalyst thing, generate pops.
  • Factory reset, bypass the catalyst thing, no pops.
  • Insert the catalyst thing again, generate pops. 

Pinning it down like this would allow others to run the same test, generate the same result and then the blame game would have more credibility… and SONOS themselves could execute the same test to replicate it themselves. Instead, we have 45 pages of “my setup is generating pops” with others saying “my <different> setup is generating pops” and other people sharing their same setup does NOT generate pops or that their Arc- like my own- has NEVER popped. 

Collectively find an absolute, repeatable cause & effect catalyst, repeated/repeatable on more than one Arc and it would give SONOS an absolute point of focus. As is, we’re all over the place with possible causes and possible remedies with others countering each guess. 

I think it’s absolutely within their capability to fix this, but they’re far more driven by money and new products. 

i would push back on just blaming the arc though as there’s other sound bars which have the issue