Answered

Sonos Arc extremely poor dialogue levels VS Music and Action

• 6 November 2020
  • 70 replies

Show first post

70 replies

I was on the point of contacting Sonos before reading this thread, as I have been experiencing the exact same problem with my setup, being the Arc paired with the Sub Mini. Listening to music is fine, but it’s as though there is no mid-range on the Arc… Dialogue is scratchy / squeaky and on modern films, like Oppenheimer, I gave up halfway through as 50% of the dialogue is totally inaudible. I’ve tried changing the TV set up, splashing out on a very expensive HDMI cable… and continually adjusting the EQ…. I have now given up… so will be listing the Arc on E-bay  

I see this is your first post here, but before I even consider bidding on your device, how do you know it’s perhaps not a defective product, or even if your TV output is the issue? 

Any Sonos Bar set up is a compromise for convenience over a AVR based HT wired speaker set up with a dedicated centre channel/speaker and this is one of the prices paid for the compromise.

One workable solution is to use subtitles for dialogue. It does not take long to get used to it.

Turn on subtitles, because our $900 soundbar isn’t capable of producing dialogue that can be heard consistently?   You can’t be serious.   

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Yes. still have dialogue problems, never bee fixed, just ignored by Sonos. Still the amount of times I have to turn up the volume to hear the dialogue and then turn volume down when action etc kicks in. Need some sort of centre channel control.

Same problem.

I am very unhappy with the dialogue performance.

I wish there was a solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Can you pinpoint what audio format the Arc is receiving when you have this problem?

Hi Ken

I appreciate your support. Unfortunatly I am pretty certain I tried all possible solutions already.

I own a Arc, Sub and 2 Ones SL. Driven from TV with eArc.

Did TruePlay with Iphone 12 Pro.

Mids are generally washed out. Not present. Like there is a frequency hump in the 300-600 Hz range.

It seams the only solution is to move from Arc to the Beam Gen 2 as others have done and reported a significant imporvement.

The current EQ options in the App cannot fix this and the speach improvment is already on.

To really fix this, there would be a mids EQ option required in the 300-600 Hz range.

It also does not help that there is a True-Play lottery with different IOS devices giving clearly audible different results. It seems that Iphone SE 2020 give the best results.

This can only be fixed with further Software control.

Regards, Michael

It’s not currently clear which TV (make/model) it is that you’re using with the Arc, so that the Sonos Staff can perhaps better understand the issue. They could then maybe go onto test the issue for themselves aswell?

It’s perhaps also worth submitting a Diagnostic Report I think, and making a note of its reference back here and maybe speak direct with the Support desk, via this LINKto make them fully aware of your concerns and to hopefully get the matter resolved. 

Came here to say I’m also experiencing the same faults. Had this unit since it’s release, but now I’ve been at home on holiday and watching more movies, it’s become quite apparent that there’s a serious problem with voice dialogue and yeah, I’ve tried most of the processes to improve audio.

Was watching Dogma yesterday and was just annoyed having to up and down the volume on the TV, as we’re in an apartment and have young kids which don’t need waking up!

This thread has been here for years with the same faults, yet Sonos has done diddly squat to respond, let alone fix.

Have you provided them with hard data, via a diagnostic, and called them so that they will look at it?

I, too, get frustrated, but it’s always with the audio mixer for the original source, and not Sonos, as I can duplicate the issue on non-Sonos setups. 

Why should I have to do their job for them? It's not hard to replicate. 

So many people are having the exact same issue to the point they could easily say "you might need to check that your TV or media player settings allow this or this feature to help clear up voice" 

Seeing that it's literally only the Arc having the problem, it seems pretty clear where the focus needs to be, including better customer service, regardless whether it's a forum or not. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’ve just installed the Arc with a sub and I was just saying how much better it is than the Playbar, which I used to really struggle with in respect of hearing the dialogue.

in my case  this happens when the Arc receives Dolby Multichannel , and DD at lower bitrates my solution is lower the treble 3 or 2 points behind the bass ( 0 bass and -2highs for example) and turn on the speech enhancement, and this solves the problem in most of scenes  but is kinda annoying doing this every time 

In most similar complaints, the issue has been that the source being played has been in stereo, and not an actual 5.1 signal with a disparate center channel.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’ve just installed the Arc with a sub and I was just saying how much better it is than the Playbar, which I used to really struggle with in respect of hearing the dialogue.

Are you now happy with the dialogues?

What did you change when you reinstalled the Arc with the Sub?

I have the Sonos arc and am extremely disappointed in the dialogue lack of clarity on streaming channels .  I have adjusted settings on the iPhone app and run trueplay many times . I have also adjusted the sound settings on my roku device . All to no avail .  For a $900 soundbar to perform so poorly in this regard is frustrating . I have a Samsung 2019 Oled tv  Any suggestions on a fix would be a Christmas miracle at this point  . Let me know if there are any 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you call Sonos?

Badge

Still have this issue with my ARC and not improved with any of the updates

Have you tried another Arc or a Beam Gen 2 instead? Switching to a Beam resolved all my issues. 

I reached out to support and have received the generic turn on the dialogue / adjust EQ settings responses .  What does live support do ? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@Ryan A @Ryan S 

Hi Guys do you know if the above issue is still being looked into on the Sonos ARC please?

thanks

Feel i need chip in here as well since this looks to be the same problem i experience. 
I bought my system one week ago and i have tried all the sonos app setings back and forth and i feel the speech aint getting much better. 
How come the reviews all hype the new beam gen 2 for having better speech representation etc. When i feel its really poor. Makes me question these so called “hi-fi” nerd channels.. 
Sure its clear, thats all i hear in the reviews, but its super tiny and high piched compare to rest of the sound. I need more depth and base added to the center speaker, not only clarity…

Please make an update for the bars to use more base on speech or something.

(Posted on another thread about tinny sound)

I just purchased my first Sonos products. Arc and 2 One SL’s. I was very excited unboxing these lovely speakers. Such attention to detail in all regards. Very Apple! Set up was fairly straightforward. Used Trueplay. I am a HiFi nut and have a good idea about sound and relevant gear so it was a good experience so far. Watched a couple of TV shows and was a little disappointed with the tinny speech. Then I turned to some movies and series on Netflix and it all went pear shaped. The dialog was so soft I had to increase the volume ...but then the music or special effects came on and i was blasted out of my seat by the extreme volume. Movie after movie (and shows) all do the same thing.

I recalibrated the system. Moved speakers. Changed settings on my Apple TV 4K. No difference. Tinny and super quiet dialog. 

Looks like I am not alone with this. Complaints are all over the internet. So what’s with the overwhelming positive reviews by the press and review sites with not a single one picking up on the issues???

I will give it one more try but if it does not improve greatly its all going back. I am stunned that with this many complaints Sonos is not commenting or coming out with any fixes. Looks like no more Sonos for me.

Seems reviewers only mention the speech clarity. Sure its clear, so clear that it sounds like its comming from a small earbud in your ear with no bass what so ever. its like a solution for clarity is by removing all the bass.

Please Sonos, look in to this, product is realy good otherwise

Hi all - for what it’s worth… I had a brand new Arc about a week ago… music and effects sounded excellent in stereo, 5.1 or Atmos. Dialogue was generally “fine” in stereo… but as soon as I tried 5.1 or Atmos it was a muddy, mumbly, tinny mess. Certainly nowhere near the sound I paid that sort of price for. 

I spent 90 minutes on a call to Sonos support and tried every setting and little bit of trouble shooting going - I didn’t get anywhere.

I returned the Arc for a Beam Gen 2 and the difference was night and day - dialogue in 5.1 and Atmos was now clear and crisp. 

So, for anyone not getting what they want from the Arc, I highly recommend trying a Beam! Sometimes more expensive doesn’t equal a better experience. 

I have a beam gen 2. Sure its clear and crisp. But it is too clear and crisp. It sounds like it comes from a tiny phone speaker on max volume with no depth what so ever. Looked at lord of the rings the other day and action scenes sounds amazing but the dialogue sounds as if the cast is totaly out of place speaking to me in a phone with no bass reflecting the environment. Clear and crisp is good, but it is not all you need in good speech representation. It needs to be adjusted to match the environment. Heck the cast dont even sound like them selves. They sound like, as i have mentioned here and there like they talk on the phone or somehting bass less..

Brought an ARC and sub. Not at all impressed with the voice clarity. Performed the trueplay tuning but nothing improved. Everyone in our household complain about the same thing. I listened to the bose 900 and voice quality is crisp and music has more details. I am planning to return this.

Badge

Ken_Griffiths

2 days ago - From: “Speech enhancement of movies” thread; which, of course, Sonos closed the thread.  I guess there is too much for them to handle🤷‍♂️

I’m sory that I could not respond sooner! & I hope you find this message.

Yes, we all do hear things differently, especially depending on room size, ceiling height, acustics, Etc..

As I mentioned my wife can heare things across the state, but I cannot.

I only have the best cables that I could buy - Never skimp on things such as that.

I am truly glad that someone (your family) does not have difficult with dialogue! AND, I do not disbelieve anything that you have said!

However there are too many complaints, for too long, for our situation to be an anomoly.

Just so you know, I have reached out to Sonos, and all I get are the stock answers.

Unfortunately, your diagnostic link(s) do not work.

Regarding the Soro App being only iOS is on Sonos. In this world there is no excuse for a company to ignore Android when developing Apps!  

In addition to everything I tried, Senior sound system Techs, from Best Buy, were here no less than 4 times, to troubleshoot, and they did not have any success either.

I appreciate your sincerity across the board!

Thank you for your comments!

Regards,

S

PS: For everyone using the Arc only for TV sound, especially in a small room, and can ddistinguish dialogue in movies and TV series that is great!

SOME ADDITIONAL INFO FOR THOSE CONSIDERING THE Sonos Arc:

Unfortunatly for us, the consultant we used knew of Each and Every issue that we had/have, and he was only interested in making a commission, and lied about many things. 

In addition, I was not aware that the Sonos Arc only has 2 inputs (1 HDMI eARC, 1 Toslink).  This is not an issue for anyone not using periferal accessories, including wanting to attach a turntable.  To have to add another $500 - $600 for a Port or Amp is awful, and that was never mentioned to me.  Did they also leave out Bluetooth to force people to buy the port in order to be able to stream music from phones, and PCs?

It will cost me a considerable sum to replace, and get rid of the Arc.  I am looking into ZVOX, and have written to the company to make sure the music capability is adequate, as well as other things. I am also seriously interested in the new Bose - Smart Ultra Soundbar

I am not an audiophile, and my hearing is not what it used to be, but when listening to music, at least without Sonos’ satellite WiFi surround speakers, the lack of separation is, without a doubt, a tech engineering blunder by Sonos - unless they intended to get consumers to buy as many add-ons as possible.

To all who like your Sonos equipment - Keep on Enjoying!!!!

==============================

@Stirv,

I guess we all may hear things differently and of course there’s the listening environment to consider aswell as the various audio/video sources. There could even be something wrong with your A/V products, or cables etc.

It is difficult to diagnose these things from afar. However I and all my immediate family members have 6 Sonos soundbars between us and that includes 3 Sonos Arcs and we all think that the Arc sounds great. 

If you think something isn’t right with your equipment you should really reach out to the manufacturers customer support desk. If you think it’s your Arc that’s at fault, then supply Sonos with diagnostic reports and videos and then go from there.

Personally speaking myself and family members that have Sonos Home Theatres are all happy with them - I’m sorry if you do not believe that’s the truth, but I can assure you it is.

To submit diagnostic reports and video etc. to Sonos, see the below links…

And I do sincerely hope you find the answers you’re looking for with your TV audio in your own listening environment.

P.S. - Yes the Soro App is iOS only (sorry🙏 I perhaps should have clarified that). 

S

Airgetlam

You and 1 other person like this

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Have you done a Trueplay?

I’ve found a fix. Use your native tv apps and your sound will improve drastically. Apple TV for some odd reason, sounds worse and doesn’t let the Arc breath. If you have an LG, you still have access to the Apple TV app on WebOS. Try it out, you’ll be surprised

I just purchased Sonos Arc and Sonus Sub. Look like I have make the biggest regret purchasing these. Dialogue sound is so so so poor. I have tried changing so many combinations of settings and the dialogue is still extremely poor!

My denon and polk audio combo is much much better in sound at 1/3 of the cost of Sonos.