Skip to main content

SAMSUNG AND BEAM CONNECTION PROBLEM

• 1 November 2023
  • 37 replies

I hope you can help.  I have my Sonos Beam (gen 2) hooked up to my Samsung TV. 

It has been working great for many months until now every time I turn off my TV and put it back on later the Sonos does not work and only the TV sound works. If I unplug the Sonos and plug it back in when the TV is on, it will find it and start working until I turn it off the tv again.

What can I do? I called Sonos and they told me to call Samsung. No one can help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

The same thing is happening to me! Every 2 or 3 days my beam disconnects from my Samsung TV, the only I have been able to solve it is disconnect my beam from power and reconnect. Very frustrating!!!

Badge

thank you Regret. nice to know I'm not the only one. Did you try to change your HDMI to a better one? I was thinking to try that. Not sure why that would work but one of the guys at Sonos said to try it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Nope didnt try a new cable,  seems a bit of a stretch but who knows. If you try it and it works definitely let me know. 

Badge

Will do. I think I will try it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Still happening and still very annoying. At least there is a workaround with unplugging / replugging the device. 

Is the TV’s firmware up to date? Updating can be a mixed blessing. While some features could be improved by updates, others could be degraded. TV’s and players need to be able to interact with hundreds of models. Unfortunately, there are some poorly specified industry standards. This sometimes results in awkward interactions such as you are experiencing. A manufacturer’s update might concentrate on fixing an unfortunate interaction between models ‘A’ and ‘B’. While this issue is fixed, model ‘C’ reacts poorly to that fix. There are thousands of combinations to test.

It’s unfortunate that these issues are typically passed off as “never seen that issue before”, “not our fault”. If enough issue reports accumulate about poor ‘A”, ‘B’, ‘C’ interactions, one of the manufactures might make an adjustment. Unfortunately, this could result in poor model ‘D’ interactions and the saga continues.

I recommend disconnecting all HDMI cables from the TV, remove power from the TV for at least two minutes, remove power from BEAM. After powering up both units, connect BEAM’s HDMI cable to the TV’s HDMI-ARC connector. Make sure that the TV’s “Anynet” setting is enabled. BEAM and the TV should discover each other. If necessary, connect one input device to the TV and work with this for a while before adding another device. It’s possible that there is a combination of input devices that causes issues. It this is the case, there are potential solutions.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@buzz appreciate the feedback. The firmware is up to date have done the unplug everything and replug everything back in. Works for 2 to 3 days solid and then disconnects. Unplugging the beam from the power source and replugging back in works like a charm but its a pain. Don't have any other things plugged into the TV. Can try a new HMDI cable but seems to be a reach. Another person reported on this thread that Sonos was aware of this but who knows. 

You can submit a diagnostic and follow up with SONOS support. I recommend two diagnostics -- one while the system is operating normally and one within 10 minutes of a fault. It is possible that support knows something about your specific conditions and can offer solutions. If support cannot immediately help, your case will be logged and if enough of these reports are logged, additional resources will be allocated. 

There are little ‘boxes’ that can fool both the TV and BEAM into thinking they’ve just been through a fresh HDMI re-connection, but these can cost a couple hundred dollars and may or may not resolve your particular issue. Etherial offers a variety of boxes and has reasonable technical support. I don’t know if they have any experience with this specific issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @FIELD VISION et al

There was a similar issue recently whereby Beams would have no audio when playing TV audio coming from certain Samsung TVs, which has now been resolved. As your TV and Beam seem to be losing the connection between them, however, this seems like a different issue. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Like REGGERT same thing happens even after I do everything BUZZ said to do. The HDMI changing to gold high speed still does not work.  I did call Sonos and do the before and after diagnostics. They were clueless. Told me to call Samsung. I think nobody knows the answer. The only thing that it could be is what Buzz was saying about the firmware update messed something up because things had been working great for months when I set Sonos for the first time. I never did anything new to the settings for this to have suddenly happened.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Corry P I have created a number of diagnostics, here are a couple of them: 

Can you initiate something with support?

I agree with @FIELD VISION my concern is Sonos will say talk to Samsung, Samsung will say talk to Sonos and we are stuck in the middle.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm having that problem from time to time especially when using Samsung apps (Netflix,HBO,etc) since the update to version 8.1.

samsung and beam2

Badge

When did Samsung update? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @reggert 

Can you initiate something with support?

Regrettably, this is not something I can do for you - there needs to be a case count for evaluation, and I can’t create a case for you.

I agree with @FIELD VISION my concern is Sonos will say talk to Samsung, Samsung will say talk to Sonos and we are stuck in the middle.

Please feel free to refer the agent you speak with to this thread (and related threads - there are a few) - that will encourage them to speak to their local SME (Subject Matter Expert) who will be looking for patterns in reports coming from various agents.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

When did Samsung update? 

It's an old update because my samsung tv doesn't update anymore, but the problems started in version 15.8.

Sometimes, when I use a TV app, I have no sound. I turn off the TV for a while and it works again. It only happens with apps

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/15-8-update-is-a-nightmare-6885678

Badge

Thank you orenhazan.  So now we know that it is the update. So is SONOS going to fix this problem? SONOS if you are reading this please do something…..

Badge

Sorry, I just read your last post on the other link. I see that Samsung fixed the problem with 1602. When did they do the 1602? The last two days things have been working. Could that be it?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Sorry, I just read your last post on the other link. I see that Samsung fixed the problem with 1602. When did they do the 1602? The last two days things have been working. Could that be it?

samsung release the 1602 frimware for europe and usa two days ago for automatic update.

did your tv update to this frimware?

you can see on the tv what frimware do you have.

Badge

Yes, I have 1602.  So the last two days Sonos has been working. So this could be it...let’s hope. REGGERY are you also finding things are working better?

Userlevel 1
Badge

No issues for the past few days @FIELD VISION, will check my TVs firmware when I have a chance. Thank you!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Yes, I have 1602.  So the last two days Sonos has been working. So this could be it...let’s hope. REGGERY are you also finding things are working better?

yes it’s sure works better but not perfect and sometimes there is still a connection problem. but much better than before the update.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@FIELD VISION I checked and I am now at firmware version 1602, haven't experienced any issues so maybe this is the solution.

Badge

sorry everyone….it was not the update.  Things are back to being bad again. No Sonos!  What is going on?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I said from the beginning of this issue that the fix have to come from sonos because its start after the update to 15.8 frimware and in that time the tv remain in the same frimware.

samsung can not fix this issue because she didn't cause this issue.

i also have the sonos arc that connect to samsung tv and the arc don’t have any issue like the beam so it’s must be a frimware problem with the beam.

more of that i took from a friend a beam 2 with 15.7 frimware and connect it to my samsung tv and everything work with no issue at all.

what more proof is needed to convince sonos that the problem is with the frimware of the beam.

I already gave up and i know that sonos not fix this issue because she does not mind I have already spoken to them dozens of times.