No Atmos with Firestick 4K Max

Badge

Hi, I’ve just purchased a Sonos Arc but i’m having trouble getting Atmos from Netflix via a Fire Stick 4k Max.

I have a premium Netflix subscription and all settings are at their highest.

I have Sky Q so i’m able to get Atmos from Sky Movies from the Arc so i know that it does work from that source.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

@GuitarSuperstar Perfect!

You’ve confirmed everything brilliantly and thanks also for the recommendations.

At least I can rest easy in the knowledge that I wasn’t missing anything obvious.

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7

This thread is the closest example I have found so far to date that reflects my issue. I have a Sonos Beam (Gen 2), Sub (Gen 2) and 2 x Era 300’s as rear surrounds. My LG TV is a 2015 model (ARC only) so I purchased the HDFury Arcana and a HDMI switch.

I can play Dolby Atmos content all day long from my Blu Ray disc player which is terrific. Atmos is displayed on the Sonos app.

However, for Dolby Atmos titles in Netflix and Prime Video, the best I can get is Dolby Digital Plus 5.1, even though I can see on the Netflix/Prime apps that the films in question are Atmos encoded. Don’t get me wrong, DD+ sounds great but the fact that I can’t play select content in Atmos is driving me mad (only because it’s annoying me that I can’t fix it!). I’ve tried both the native apps on the TV and also the apps on my Sky Q box but no cigar. I’ve played with the audio and scaler setings on the Arcana but still no dice. My TV, Sky Q and streaming app settings are all correct. I was actually thinking of buying a Fire TV stick to see if this was a solution but from reading this thread, it doesn’t appear that this option solves the issue for both streaming services.

I’m beginning to come to the conclusion that the apps (either on Sky Q or those native on the TV) are not going to give me Dolby Atmos. I’ve been trying to fix this for the last week.

Any comments would be most welcome!

Many thanks.

Your TV model is too old to support Dolby Atmos audio from its native apps. Also the Arcana has no affect on the TV’s native apps. It only affects external media devices connected to the Arcana. 

The Sky Q box doesn’t support Dolby Atmos audio from the streaming apps either:

“Dolby Atmos is currently available on live Ultra HD broadcasts of English Premier League matches, selected Ultra HD Sky Cinema downloads and at times, selected Box Sets from Sky One and Sky Atlantic (if you have the Sky Signature or Sky Ultimate TV packages).

Dolby Atmos is not available via TV apps on Sky Q, such as Disney+, Netflix etc.”

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/setting-up-dolby-atmos

Rather than getting a Fire TV Stick, get an Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield, or Roku Ultra. Dolby Atmos is supported on all the major streaming apps on these three devices.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Sorry to be a downer…. But I don’t think AppleTV will output Atmos without eARC as it doesn’t encode Atoms via Dolby Digital Plus like Sky Q and FireTV Stick 4K Max does, or didn’t last time I checked.

I was trying to get it to work with my Samsung without eARC and could not get it to work. Samsung updated most of their Native Apps to support it, so I give up to be honest.

Badge

Sorry to be a downer…. But I don’t think AppleTV will output Atmos without eARC as it doesn’t encode Atoms via Dolby Digital Plus like Sky Q and FireTV Stick 4K Max does, or didn’t last time I checked.

I was trying to get it to work with my Samsung without eARC and could not get it to work. Samsung updated most of their Native Apps to support it, so I give up to be honest.

Oh well it’s ordered now but i’ll look into that, thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Not ideal, but would an HDMI switch work before the Arcana?

So you could switch between the AppleTV and SkyQ?

As I say, not ideal

Badge

As I say, not ideal

So i have an Apple TV 4K coming tomorrow and an HDMI splitter here but still not sure if it’ll all work and how to connect it all.

Please look at my diagram in my first post.  As @BMF suggested, I expect that you will need a device similar to the Arcana HDFury (Which I use).

Ok thanks for the advice. Might just start saving for a newer tv.

Badge

As I say, not ideal

So i have an Apple TV 4K coming tomorrow and an HDMI splitter here but still not sure if it’ll all work and how to connect it all.

Please look at my diagram in my first post.  As @BMF suggested, I expect that you will need a device similar to the Arcana HDFury (Which I use).

Ok thanks for the advice. Might just start saving for a newer tv.

Man. It does get like that 🤣 I was thinking the same,

pricing up Arcana, switch… cables etc

Then figured it was easier to stick with what I have,

also wife would ask less questions ….. mine, not yours 

That’s funny as i had to sheepishly tell her that i’d ordered an Apple TV 4k (again my wife not yours!) 😂.

Out of interest do movies on Netflix actually say Atmos? ie it’s an indicator that Atmos is available or will it only say 5.1. Prime says atmos and plays Atmos but playing 6 Underground or Don’t Look Up on Netflix just says 5.1.

Hi. Exactly how are the Sky box and Firestick connected to the TV?

Is there any other app on the Firestick that has Atmos?

Is there a Netflix app on the TV?

What make and model is your TV?

Badge

Hi, I’ve just purchased a Sonos Arc but i’m having trouble getting Atmos from Netflix via a Fire Stick 4k Max.

I have Sky Q so i’m able to get Atmos from Sky Movies from the Arc so i know that it does work from that source.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

I have the exact same setup.  How are your components connected together?

For reference I’ve included below a diagram of my setup. (The Arana HDFury is because my TV doesn’t have an eArc port.)

I have the Arc connected to the ARC HDMI of the tv, Sky Q to a normal HDMI and the Firestick in another HDMI.

I don’t understand why Sky Q gives me Atmos but the Firestick doesn’t?

Badge

Hi. Exactly how are the Sky box and Firestick connected to the TV?

Is there any other app on the Firestick that has Atmos?

Is there a Netflix app on the TV?

What make and model is your TV?

Hi John, see my previous response.

I just got the firestick yesterday so not sure what other apps to try as i only subscribe to Prime and Netflix.

There is a Netflix app on the tv but i believe it doesn’t supply Atmos.

The tv is a Samsung UE55MU6470 from 2017.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

For reference I’ve included below a diagram of my setup. (The Arana HDFury is because my TV doesn’t have an eArc port.)

I have the Arc connected to the ARC HDMI of the tv, Sky Q to a normal HDMI and the Firestick in another HDMI.

I suspect that your Sky Q is connected to an HDMI eARC port and your Firestick to a plan HDMI (The plug shape is exactly the same)

An HDMI Switch would solve the issue: I use this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PDVQD12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Have you tried swapping the ports and test if that changes which provides Atmos?

Badge

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

I suspect that your Sky Q is connected to an HDMI eARC port and your Firestick to a plan HDMI (The plug shape is exactly the same)

An HDMI Switch would solve the issue: I use this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PDVQD12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don’t have eARC and the Sonos is connected to the ARC HDMI.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Something else to test with your current connections:  Have you tried using Netflix on your Sky Q box - this will rule out the source and confirm a connection cause.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

I don’t have eARC and the Sonos is connected to the ARC HDMI.

Not all TV’s are equal!  To get mine to work I had to use an Arcana HDFury device which splits the Audio to the Arc and the Video to the TV, rather than relying on the TV pass through.

Badge

Something else to test with your current connections:  Have you tried using Netflix on your Sky Q box - this will rule out the source and confirm a connection cause.

Netflix via Sky Q apparently doesn’t provide Atmos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have Netflix on both so you may well be correct - I’ll test this now!🤓

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You are correct!  I just happen to normally use Netflix on my Fire Cube and so hadn’t realised.  Try swapping the cables anyway and see if that makes a difference.  I have a great 4k 3D TV but without eARC and I had to use the Arana HDFury device to get mine working.

Badge

You are correct!  I just happen to normally use Netflix on my Fire Cube and so hadn’t realised.  Try swapping the cables anyway and see if that makes a difference.  I have a great 4k 3D TV but without eARC and I had to use the Arana HDFury device to get mine working.

Switching the cables round doesn’t work either.

So i have device that is providing Atmos (Sky movies via Sky Q)

And a device which isn’t (Netflix via Firestick 4K Max)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The only other thing that is different with my setup is that I upgraded my Firestick 4K to a Fire Cube before Atmos content was available.

Userlevel 7

@Andyghfc Set the TV to these settings (if available):

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream
Digital Output Audio Format: Dolby Digital Plus

Be sure to set the Surround Sound setting on the Fire TV Stick to Best Available.

Also, log in to your Netflix account on a web browser and go to your Account settings. Under Profile & Parental Controls, go to Playback Settings and make sure Data usage per screen is set to HIGH.

Also be sure to play the ORIGINAL language audio track.

Test the film Don’t Look Up on Netflix and let us know what audio format the Sonos app displays.

Badge

Be sure to set the Surround Sound setting on the Fire TV Stick to Best Available.

Also, log in to your Netflix account on a web browser and go to your Account settings. Under Profile & Parental Controls, go to Playback Settings and make sure Data usage per screen is set to HIGH.

Also be sure to watch the ORIGINAL language audio track.

Test the film Don’t Look Up on Netflix and let us know what audio format the Sonos app displays.

Yeah all that is already at exactly what you say.

Sonos app still shows Dolby Digital Plus 5.1.

Userlevel 7

Try testing the film The Tomorrow War on Prime Video and let me know what audio format the Sonos app displays.

Badge

Try testing the film The Tomorrow War on Prime Video and let me know what audio format the Sonos app displays.

That shows as Atmos on both the Prime tv app and on Prime on the Firestick.

Userlevel 7

Are you 100% sure it is a Fire TV Stick 4K MAX or just a regular Fire TV Stick 4K?

Try deleting and re-installing the Netflix app on the Fire TV Stick. Also be sure the Fire TV Stick is up to date.

If this doesn’t work, either Atmos isn’t supported on Netflix on that Fire TV Stick model or Atmos is just temporarily not working on the Netflix app.

Badge

Are you 100% sure it is a Fire TV Stick 4K MAX or just a regular Fire TV Stick 4K?

Try deleting and re-installing the Netflix app on the Fire TV Stick. Also be sure the Fire TV Stick is up to date.

If this doesn’t work, either Atmos isn’t supported on Netflix on that Fire TV Stick model or Atmos is just temporarily not working on the Netflix app.

Yeah i just bought it yesterday knowing i needed  the Firestick 4K Max as it has to be on FireOS 7 to provide atmos for Netflix.

Firestick is up to date. Tried deleting and re-installing but still only showing as Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 when trying to watch ‘Don’t Look Up’.

Would be good if someone else could confirm if Netflix is working on the Firestick 4k Max for them.

It’s strange that Prime is working fine.