Answered

LG magic remote not connecting to Playbar

• 28 February 2024
  • 14 replies

I have read pretty much all the remedies on the forum on how to link the lg magic remote to the playbar via the optical output, but nothing works. I have been in touch with the SONOS help line and they have been through the procedure with me, but in the end admitted defeat and said I should speak to LG. I have tried resetting the remote for Philips, Bose and several other manufacturers. I have got to the point where I think I should get a new remote - or a new sound bar- but wondered if there were any suggestions as to what remote to buy. At the moment I have to control the sound through the Sonos app.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 29 February 2024, 10:21

View original

14 replies

I can only say it works here for me on two separate LG TV’s - with different WebOS versions - I just select the optical output in the universal control device selector under Soundbar and Bluetooth devices and simply set the Manufacturer as ‘Sonos’ (note the name is case sensitive for the LG database search) - the magic remote then works fine. See attached screenshot from my Kitchen LG TV.

Hi Ken

Unfortunately I don’t get the option of Sonos but their help desk says to use Bose or Phillips. Neither work

Hi Ken

Unfortunately I don’t get the option of Sonos but their help desk says to use Bose or Phillips. Neither work

Is that when you type in the name and search the LG online online database? - there are hundreds of manufacturers - only a few are shown by default, like Sony/Apple etc. - you have to search to find ‘Sonos’ in the database. I’m just checking you are doing the search correctly?

Thanks, I’ll check to make sure I haven’t missed something. As far as I know it only comes up with about 10 manufacturers and I don’t remember there being a search facility

Thanks, I’ll check to make sure I haven’t missed something. As far as I know it only comes up with about 10 manufacturers and I don’t remember there being a search facility

Yes, I would double-check again, as there is certainly a search facility on the LG TV’s here (and previous LG TVs I’ve owned in the past aswell), to allow the user to search-for and select other manufacturers (such as Sonos), rather than just the dozen, or so, default ones shown on the initial LG device selector list.

No, no search facility.

No, no search facility.

You perhaps need to speak to LG customer services. As you’re in the U.K. I believe their number is 0344 847 5454

Many thanks. That will be my next step before buying an LG sound bar!

@Bootneck41,
I appreciate the WebOS versions do vary, but I’ve not seen an LG TV without the manufacturers search facility in the universal device control settings… but I guess there’s a first time for everything.

Here’s a quick screenshot ‘example’ that I put together from my Kitchen LG TV _ FWIW.

The above is a collage based on the images attached to this post. I’ve just posted them in the hope it may perhaps assist you further.

Thanks that’s helpful. I found the enter English only box but couldn’t get it to load when I input Sonos. I’ll give it another go.

BRILLIANT Ken. Working at last. I couldn’t find Sonos because I didn’t start it with a capital S.

Thanks a million for the screen shots which really helped.

Regards

Rob

Yes, the ‘Sonos’ entry whilst searching is cAsE SeNsiTivE - I’m surprised they’ve never fixed that in WebOS. Glad you have sorted it @Bootneck41.👍

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Yes, the ‘Sonos’ entry whilst searching is cAsE SeNsiTivE - I’m surprised they’ve never fixed that in WebOS. Glad you have sorted it @Bootneck41.👍

Ken do you know if 2 remotes will work, skyQ one works ok, but lg magic remote just changes display on tv +/- but playbar volume doesn’t change.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

No Sonos option on my LG B6 2016 oled , tried several other makes but no joy….oh well sky remote is used most anyway