How many years till sonos fixes the loud pop and shutdown with Atmos???

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I can add my experience here. Sonos Arc + Sony X90J onboard Google TV OS combination. Irrespective of the streaming app (Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video) or type of content (5.1, Atmos, etc) - few hours of usage and the Arc had started making crackling/popping/clicking (whatever we want to call it) noise as if one of the speaker driver is blown. Upon rebooting the Arc, the noise would disapper. However, few hours in and the noise would creep in. It became difficult to watch anything for more than an hour or so. It didnt not trigger any auto reboot or shut down though. Simply popping noise. I got in touch with the support team and they were very helpful. I was able to record videos while this was happening. They looked at the video, ran some diagnosis and confirmed that Arc had developed a fault. Got the replacment today so I am yet to verify that the new Arc is not going down the same path.

Userlevel 7

Yes, the issue only happens with Dolby MAT encoders, but across different manufacturers. You know this. We know this. Why are you pretending that this was an insight you gleaned from my comment?

My TV is a Sony 900H. There have been plenty of reports of the same thing happening on LGs. Again, with Apple TVs and Xbox being the source devices. 

Do you even use Apple TV or Xbox Atmos? Or are you just somebody who has an unaffected source yet somehow wants to snipe at huge amounts of the Arc user base (think about how popular Xbox and Apple TV are for a second) having a legitimate issue?

Well I guess you have it all figured out and I am just wasting my time (and obviously your time). I’ll leave you alone. Enjoy the popping.

FYI… I use an Apple TV 4K (1st Gen) and have zero issues when playing Dolby Atmos content through my Arc. I’m actually enjoying Dolby Atmos music on the Apple TV as I type this, pop free.

Userlevel 3

Tried to watch Bullet Train last night and the arc popped and turned off again because it’s in Dolby Atmos.  I switched to the appletv app on my tv set and didn’t have an issue so like most people a read it seems to be an issues with players like appletv, Xbox, or whatever. Or I just got lucky playing through the apple. It seems to be weirdly intermittent because the last time it did it I was listening to Apple Music on the appletv4k and then I just gave up listening to music.  Then when I called tech support they wanted my to try and I guess sit around and film my arc until it blew out again. So I sat there and listened to the same stuff I was because an it played fine. That was until last night when it blew up during Bullet Train. 

Has anyone tested the Apple TV 4K 3rd-gen with this issue yet? Thinking about picking one up today or tomorrow to see if the issue exists with that combination of hardware

Confirmed that the issue still exists with an Apple TV 4K via a Sony X90CH eArc to a Beam Gen 2. Random pops with Atmos content that shuts  off the Beam.

PS: The same Atmos content played from the built in Sony app does not have this issue. Makes me think that is an Apple TV Atmos decoding issue?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Yeah, I and many others get the pop from both Apple TV and Xbox. Those two have in common that they use Dolby MAT. Sonos Arc originally shipped without support for MAT and is now producing these pops. Must be something hard for Sonos software/firmware to handle. 

Two things:

1. Thanks for confirming that Beam also has this bug. So far we’ve mostly had Arc reports. 
  2. Please note that when your Beam stops playing sound and requires a reboot, it is not technically off or shut down. If you mention that your Beam turns off, Sonos support will make it seem like you have a special unrelated problem as opposed to the issue that hundreds(?) of us are reporting. 
Userlevel 3
Badge

Apologies I was getting mixed up eArc not the issue. Only disabling Atmos on the ATV sorts the problem out. 

so frustrating 

Badge

Is there a fix for this yet? It's happening on my Phillips OLED856 on both my Series X and native Netflix app. Connected via eArc.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Unfortunately there is not fix yet. Sonos recommends turning Atmos off. 

It's frustrating to experience issues with a product and not be able to find a solution. If you are experiencing issues with your Apple TV and Sonos Arc when playing Atmos content, there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue.

First, make sure that your Apple TV is set up to output audio in Dolby Atmos. To do this, go to the Settings app on your Apple TV, select "Video and Audio," and then choose "Audio Format." Select "Dolby Atmos" to enable Atmos audio.

Next, check the audio settings on your Sonos Arc. Make sure that the Arc is set up to receive Dolby Atmos audio. To do this, open the Sonos app, select your Arc, and then choose "Audio" from the settings menu. Make sure that "Dolby Atmos" is selected as the audio format.

If you're still experiencing issues with the Arc, try resetting it to its factory settings. To do this, press and hold the Join button on the back of the Arc until the light starts flashing white. This will reset the Arc to its factory settings and may help to resolve any issues you're experiencing.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it's possible that there is a hardware issue with your Arc. In this case, you may need to contact Sonos customer support for further assistanc

If it were a Sonos problem, the chances are that it would have already been fixed. Unfortunately, it’s more likely the Sonos is only playing what it is told by the TV set, so if it’s told to play a pop, and is not sent any further information, it would likely exhibit that exact behaviour. 

Badge

Unfortunately there is not fix yet. Sonos recommends turning Atmos off. 

Sorry only just noticed this reply when I came to check the forums because it's happened again.

I'll be in touch with Sonos this week, surely they must have some workaround or something with how wide spread the issue seems to be. 

That doesn’t make a lot of sense, from my meager knowledge. The Atmos source is passed the the TV. The TV parses the data on its onboard electronics, and reflects it out via the ARC port to the Sonos Arc. In the grand scheme of things, there’s no direct connection between the Sonos and any particular source device, the Sonos is merely connected to the processing unit in the TV. That suggests that there’s something odd being sent by the source, which the TV isn’t able to handle properly, and is consequently being passed on to the Sonos to play…

It begs the question, what is different about the Apple TV’s and Microsoft’s XBox implementation of Atmos? Or is it that they’ve done a standard implementation of Atmos, and some TV manufacturers have done something different? Perhaps merely an older version, and not a bugged implementation?

Wish I could reproduce this, but I don’t seem to have this issue on my HD Fury Arcana.

No apology necessary, at least from my side.

I’m working from a “this makes sense to me” aspect, which, at least in this case, lays the responsibility somewhere other than Sonos….which I assume is why they haven’t issued a “fix”, since they can’t, it’s something in the source that they’re receiving from elsewhere upstream. 

But I could certainly be wrong, and there is always a chance that it is really a Sonos issue. That would be surprising to me, but I can’t completely discount the possibility. 

It is frustrating, to be sure, because there’s so many things in the mix of this problem. From Dolby MAT to Apple TV/Microsoft XBox to the TV’s CEC/ARC component, to the Sonos as a fairly dumb “receiver of data”. 

But that’s all my impression. I don’t have a lab in which to test any of this to point the finger at one part of that chain, merely what I consider to be “logic”. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Has anyone tested the Apple TV 4K 3rd-gen with this issue yet? Thinking about picking one up today or tomorrow to see if the issue exists with that combination of hardware