How many years till sonos fixes the loud pop and shutdown with Atmos???

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 3

279 TOPICS!!! 😂 I called technical support and they wanted me to take a video of the problem whenever it happens. Which is crazy to me. Then the guy had never heard it the issue. I told him to type in “Sonos arc pops atmos” and he will see hundreds of threads going back a year with the problem. This amazes me sonos has apparently done nothing about it or even bothered to acknowledge and issue after over a year. I hope the guys who keeps asking about the setup and act like it’s not an issues are busy asking the 300 people on here about their setups then telling them they have no issues at all. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

To add to that, this is a wide spread problem that can be shown by a simple search of the forums for the phrase “arc pop”, its frustrating that this hasn’t been fixed via a software update by Sonos by now. Does technical support not track similar problems to determine if this is an issue they need to address?

Userlevel 3
Badge

I completely agree with the OP, it doesn’t matter what setup combination a person has, the only thing in common for anyone with this problem is having a Sonos Arc. I’ve spent at least a year looking for a solution and can’t believe there still isn’t one out there.

Userlevel 7

Yes, the issue only happens with Dolby MAT encoders, but across different manufacturers. You know this. We know this. Why are you pretending that this was an insight you gleaned from my comment?

My TV is a Sony 900H. There have been plenty of reports of the same thing happening on LGs. Again, with Apple TVs and Xbox being the source devices. 

Do you even use Apple TV or Xbox Atmos? Or are you just somebody who has an unaffected source yet somehow wants to snipe at huge amounts of the Arc user base (think about how popular Xbox and Apple TV are for a second) having a legitimate issue?

Well I guess you have it all figured out and I am just wasting my time (and obviously your time). I’ll leave you alone. Enjoy the popping.

FYI… I use an Apple TV 4K (1st Gen) and have zero issues when playing Dolby Atmos content through my Arc. I’m actually enjoying Dolby Atmos music on the Apple TV as I type this, pop free.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Yes, the issue only happens with Dolby MAT encoders, but across different manufacturers. You know this. We know this. Why are you pretending that this was an insight you gleaned from my comment?

My TV is a Sony 900H. There have been plenty of reports of the same thing happening on LGs. Again, with Apple TVs and Xbox being the source devices. 

Do you even use Apple TV or Xbox Atmos? Or are you just somebody who has an unaffected source yet somehow wants to snipe at huge amounts of the Arc user base (think about how popular Xbox and Apple TV are for a second) having a legitimate issue?

Userlevel 7

It’s only me. That’s why there are more posts on here from a year ago to just a few days ago with the same exact issues and no solutions with about 100 people posting they have the same problem on different TVs and streaming services and streaming  boxes.  Sonos support reply is they don’t know then just disappear. 

Are you going to answer any of my questions? No one can assist you without specific details about your setup.

Are you going to make every affected user go through this song and dance?

I have this problem with Apple TV and Xbox (two different devices, the problem is Sonos), using supplied HDMI cables in both cases. My Arc is hooked up using the supplied HDMI cable. We have had an endless array of users across popular TV brands with this problem, again, Sonos being the common element. Sony and LG TVs have been most common which is not surprising considering the Sonos userbase. We are people who are willing to pay a premium for a thing that works right.

It doesn’t matter if Sonos is just “faithfully playing the signal” or whatever. Which is a hypothesis for which no evidence has been presented by the way. Just posters reflexively carrying water. If Apple TV, Xbox, Sony, and LG are affected; it’s Sonos’ problem to fix.

Finally, Sonos support itself has acknowledged the issue on this forum!!!

The “song and dance” just revealed to me that you are using two streaming devices that rely on a Dolby MAT encoder to deliver Dolby Atmos audio. I’m willing to guess that this factor in combination with your TV model is causing the problem. What specific TV model do you own? Is your Apple TV 4K a 1st Gen or 2nd Gen model? Have you ever tested another streaming device that uses Dolby Digital Plus to deliver Dolby Atmos instead of Dolby MAT like an Nvidia Shield, Roku Ultra, or Fire TV Stick? Does the loud pop only happen when playing Atmos content from the Apple TV and Xbox or does it happen when also playing Atmos content from the TV’s native apps?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Schlagdog 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The issue that we are aware of does not result in the Arc shutting down - though it is, for some, necessary to reboot it in order to get it playing again after the pop.

If your Arc shuts itself down after making this popping noise (if the white light goes off or starts flashing immediately afterwards), I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports. Please be sure to emphasize the fact that the Arc shuts down or reboots. I don’t think the issue you are experiencing is related to the known issue if indeed this is the case.

It’s only me. That’s why there are more posts on here from a year ago to just a few days ago with the same exact issues and no solutions with about 100 people posting they have the same problem on different TVs and streaming services and streaming  boxes.  Sonos support reply is they don’t know then just disappear. 

Are you going to answer any of my questions? No one can assist you without specific details about your setup.

I have this problem with Apple TV and Xbox (two different devices, the problem is Sonos), using supplied HDMI cables in both cases. My Arc is hooked up using the supplied HDMI cable. We have had an endless array of users across popular TV brands with this problem, again, Sonos being the common element. Sony and LG TVs have been most common which is not surprising considering the Sonos userbase. We are people who are willing to pay a premium for a thing that works right.

It doesn’t matter if Sonos is just “faithfully playing the signal” or whatever. Which is a hypothesis for which no evidence has been presented by the way. Just posters reflexively carrying water. If Apple TV, Xbox, Sony, and LG are affected; it’s Sonos’ problem to fix.

Yes, there’s a comment about it here from Staff (see below link). but I get the impression it’s not only a Sonos issue, as it happens with other manufacturers hardware too…

See this link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-arc-loud-pop-then-audio-loss-6852340/index12.html?postid=16610040#post16610040

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Userlevel 7

Userlevel 3

Userlevel 7

@Schlagdog If it’s just a Sonos issue, why are there so many users, including myself, who have never experienced the loud pop and shutdown and can clearly hear height channel effects from the Arc when playing Dolby Atmos content?

What model TV do you have? Are you using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable? Is your Apple TV 4K a 1st or 2nd Gen model? Does the loud pop only happen when playing Atmos content from the Apple TV or does it happen when also playing Atmos content from the TV’s native apps?

Userlevel 3

There are hundreds of these posts all over different forums and on here. It’s not a tv problem. It’s a Sonos issue. We aren’t all using the same TVs or streaming devices but are all using Sonos Arcs or beams with atmos. 

If it were a Sonos problem, the chances are that it would have already been fixed. Unfortunately, it’s more likely the Sonos is only playing what it is told by the TV set, so if it’s told to play a pop, and is not sent any further information, it would likely exhibit that exact behaviour.