Answered

Era 300 inverted surrounds

Hi, I read around a month ago that inverting the era 300 was not fully supported in the software yet, was looking for some info on this topic, is it fully supported yet? If not when is it likely? and also can anyone explain what not fully supported actually means.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 7 June 2023, 10:06

View original

42 replies

Everything I’ve read is that the ‘new app’, being released tomorrow, is a UI refresh, not a rewrite of any underlying capabilities. While I expect the normal amount of ‘bug fixes’, I’m not expecting extreme changes such as you’re hoping for. We will find out soon, though. I could be wrong….

I agree unfortunately…. Hopefully now that they have deployed this update, they can get to some of the lower priority items requested. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gentrylord 

I happen to know a senior audio engineer, but he won’t be back until the second week of the new year - I’ll try to remember to pick his brain about this for you then.

In the meantime (and probably for some time after), I think you’ll need to put up with it as it is - I don’t know what else you can try (other than removing and adding the surrounds, which you’ve already done). No-one else has reported this issue, though that could easily be because the few users that have done the same haven’t used a test video to verify the channels.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jackdforme 

That’s a good point. I found a stick and used it to poke - I’ll let you know if I hear anything.

However, given that inverted mounting does work as intended, but TruePlay is unavailable for that configuration, I would say this is not in contravention with what has been mentioned in the manual - many of our users (those with Android) simply don’t have the option of TruePlay in any situation, after all.

My choice of language may have been less than ideal in saying that inverted mounting was “officially unsupported” - perhaps saying “it’s just not fully implemented as of yet” is better. I can’t actually now find the word “unsupported” in any of my reference material, so I’ll remove the word “officially” from my post above - I apologise for any misunderstanding, as it will be my fault alone.

It bears repeating so I’ll repeat it one more time: the only problem with inverted mounting of Era 300s is that TruePlay doesn’t currently work (though I think it can still be performed). The speaker(s) will operate correctly.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just a quick update on this since new update is out. I can now not even get trueplay to start. When it gets to bit about playing test tones after flipping phone the “continue” button doesn’t work. I’ve tried closing the app and restarting phone. Nothing works. So trueplay still isn’t working but for a new reason now 😂 

side note: looks like 300 auto trueplay and quick tune are scheduled for later this month, so maybe a fix will be added then. Assuming new app is cooperative by then. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Bibs0n 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

You are correct - inverted mounting of Era 300s is not yet fully supported by the software. Having said that, there have been several reports from people having done so anyway and they reported no issues. 

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @harktheharreld 

Sorry to hear of the issue you’ve had with tuning your Arc+Era 300 setup. 

If rebooting the Eras, the Arc and your phone do not help (or, if you have another iPhone/iPad to try and doing so does not help), I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @StreetTuff 

Don’t quote me on this, but I believe it might be that TruePlay Tuning has not yet been programmed to deal with upside-down Era 300s.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gentrylord 

Thanks - I’ve actually kept this tab open the whole time to remind me, but the lead engineer that I was going to pick the brains of is now down as off sick. I still plan to ask him in particular - straight from the horse’s mouth, as it were.

I’ve been following all your conversations regarding the inverted position of the era 300’s. I am also looking forward patiently for any info on software update concerning issue that I too am having. I’m in the same situation with having to install these speakers on a wall behind me. Please keep us updated on any info with regard to this. It seems to be a little too long for this to be unresolved due to the nature of the speakers design and of course the cost of the speakers.

I have definitely noticed the loss of channels upside down!

Guess I’ll also be waiting :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gentrylord 

One thought - as it’s TruePlay that hasn’t yet been finalised for inverted mounting of Era 300s as of yet, perhaps things will behave differently (better) if the TruePlay Tuning profile for the room is erased. Although you can disable TruePlay with a toggle switch in the app, it may be better to alter the setup (remove Sub or surrounds and add again) so the TruePlay profile is erased completely.

If that doesn’t help, please submit a support diagnostic while playing an Atmos stream and reply here with the number given, and I’ll pass it along to my colleague - it probably will be of great use. Thanks.

I hope this helps.

I recently purchased the Arc, sub and Era 300’s for a basement home theater. The Era’s have to be inverted due to my room configuration. Trueplay does not work with the Era’s inverted. I can get it to work with just the Arc, just the Era’s, or the whole system with the Era’s not inverted.

I called tech support and spent two hours on the phone with them, an hour of which was with the Level 2. Neither of them had any idea this was an issue and didn’t know why it wasn’t working. I was told my issue would be raised to engineering and I would get an email letting me know the status. There has been no contact from Sonos since my call. Both technical service reps were very friendly and patient but I find it very frustrating that two minutes of searching on here produced more information than what tech support knew. 

I also find it very frustrating and misleading by Sonos to know that Trueplay isn’t compatible with inverted Era 300’s but advertise this as the proper way to install them for low ceilings. RTA (Trueplay) can make the difference between a good sounding home theater and a great sounding one. It’s a major reason why I purchased this system. Had I known of this issue, I would have bought a competitor system. 

Do better Sonos. Please fix this issue and communicate a date when consumers can expect a fix. 

The Era 300 were in inverted orientation when doing the diagnostic. But speakers upside down, so yes.

I don’t know if this is of any interest: The Eras are standing on a flat surface and are not mounted to the wall yet. This final orientation will alter the height of the final position. I was checking before measuring and drilling ;) Just giving you every information there is. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I recently purchased the Arc, sub and Era 300’s for a basement home theater. The Era’s have to be inverted due to my room configuration. Trueplay does not work with the Era’s inverted. I can get it to work with just the Arc, just the Era’s, or the whole system with the Era’s not inverted.

I called tech support and spent two hours on the phone with them, an hour of which was with the Level 2. Neither of them had any idea this was an issue and didn’t know why it wasn’t working. I was told my issue would be raised to engineering and I would get an email letting me know the status. There has been no contact from Sonos since my call. Both technical service reps were very friendly and patient but I find it very frustrating that two minutes of searching on here produced more information than what tech support knew. 

I also find it very frustrating and misleading by Sonos to know that Trueplay isn’t compatible with inverted Era 300’s but advertise this as the proper way to install them for low ceilings. RTA (Trueplay) can make the difference between a good sounding home theater and a great sounding one. It’s a major reason why I purchased this system. Had I known of this issue, I would have bought a competitor system. 

Do better Sonos. Please fix this issue and communicate a date when consumers can expect a fix. 

Ditto. Resetting, different phones, none of it’s worked for me. And that’s with two different systems. One based around arc and another around a beam, both with inverted 300s. Both have the trueplay issue I mentioned, and you seem to have. Haven’t had a chance to talk to support yet, but I think you saved me some time!

When will inverted mounting be supported?  The speaker has been out for quite a while now. 

Does anyone at SONOS know when trueplay tuning will be available for inverted ERA 300’s? This is very frustrating for me as I recently upgraded from Play:1 to ERA 300 rears on a ARC. They are inverted due to being mounted too close to the ceiling for standard installation. When I contacted support because trueplay kept failing they didn’t understand why and kept blaming it on wireless interference even though I told them my Era 300’s were inverted. They had me test trueplay multiple times and it failed at the very last step every time. Trueplay was only successful when they had me remove the ERA 300’s from that zone. Seems like they didn’t know about the inverted Era 300 trueplay limitation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Nate S 

I can’t give exact dates, but I’ve been told it will be soon - in the first half of this year, hopefully.

This, I think, is the first time I’ve heard of TruePlay not completing just because Era 300s had been added, however - perhaps a reboot of the Arc will help.

See this post for an example report of someone successfully completing TruePlay, even with Eras inverted:

I hope this helps.

The trueplay worked for me with the inverted 300s and I did a few times. I even downloaded a sound decibel app to balance the sound just the way I want. Depending on where you hold your phone during tuning, you can get certain speakers to be louder or quieter. 

Thanks ptrick73, good to know it works for some. Maybe I’m not walking far enough behind them for the app to fully calculate the levels. My living room and dining room are one large area but I haven’t walking out of the living room space during trueplay. I’ll try it out today.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just a quick update on this since new update is out. I can now not even get trueplay to start. When it gets to bit about playing test tones after flipping phone the “continue” button doesn’t work. I’ve tried closing the app and restarting phone. Nothing works. So trueplay still isn’t working but for a new reason now 😂 

side note: looks like 300 auto trueplay and quick tune are scheduled for later this month, so maybe a fix will be added then. Assuming new app is cooperative by then. 

Have you found any other issues with the new app? I’ve read some of the other threads of peoples feedback and decided not to update the app. 

I’ve only messed around a little. I do like the new look, but certainly has some other minor issues. Depends how much you rely on the app for your playback. Biggest one I’ve noticed is you can only “replace queue” now instead of adding individual songs, albums, playlists, etc to an already in playing queue either next or at end. Weird omission. I’ve been using windows app to manage that anyway, or I just use Tidal or Apple directly, but definitely needs fixing. 

Other than the true play not having any other issues. In fact, I’m having better overall responsiveness both in app and in playback. But I don’t use radio functions too much, and seen some are having issues there though Sonos looks to be aware of that. Early days still so take all with grain of salt. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Have you found any other issues with the new app? I’ve read some of the other threads of peoples feedback and decided not to update the app. 

I’ve only messed around a little. I do like the new look, but certainly has some other minor issues. Depends how much you rely on the app for your playback. Biggest one I’ve noticed is you can only “replace queue” now instead of adding individual songs, albums, playlists, etc to an already in playing queue either next or at end. Weird omission. I’ve been using windows app to manage that anyway, or I just use Tidal or Apple directly, but definitely needs fixing. 

Other than the true play not having any other issues. In fact, I’m having better overall responsiveness both in app and in playback. But I don’t use radio functions too much, and seen some are having issues there though Sonos looks to be aware of that. Early days still so take all with grain of salt. 

Will update to say I have discovered quite a few issues now, including trueplay not working at all for any speaker. Can’t remove speakers from system, along with the many other issues others are reporting. Best to avoid updating if you can.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jackdforme 

@Corry P

We would like some clarity on this topic.  I too have my ERA 300’s up about 8ft up on a valuted ceiling and per the mount are inverted.  What is missing?  When is that planned release?  What would we expect would change following software support? 

I don't have that information to share. Apologies.

Is this just TruePlay or are there drivers firing out of phase due to being reverse sided?

As far as I am aware, it all works correctly apart from TruePlay, as mentioned above. Inverted-mounting is still, therefore, a work in progress - if you do so and encounter issues, it is expected. If you do so and do not encounter issues, great!

I hope this helps.

Edit: edited for accuracy 15/9/23

Hi, I read around a month ago that inverting the era 300 was not fully supported in the software yet, was looking for some info on this topic, is it fully supported yet? If not when is it likely? and also can anyone explain what not fully supported actually means.

It certainly is supported. See this link re mounting upside down…

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/guides/era300

I’m aware of this guide and am aware this guide has been available since the product was released but there was a post around a month ago with I believe a Sonos employee stating the era 300 was not fully supported inverted in the software 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gentrylord 

I did hear back, but I did not get much more information than was already made available. Progress is definitely being made, however - although there is no planned release date yet, I think I can get away with saying it does look like it will be in the first half of this year. Of course, this may be subject to change after a testing period, so please don’t take it as definite.

In regards to the channels swapping, my assumption, as above, is that it hasn’t yet been addressed in software, and that other users who have already inversion-mounted their Era 300s simply did not notice - meaning, presumably, that it still sounds fairly good. I don’t see how this wouldn’t be taken care of once full support comes.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Corry P,

thank you for your feedback.

I reckoned. I did call Sonos support but they couldn’t solve it too. They could see, that the Eras were recognized as upside down, but that is about it. I reconnected them three times, delete and reset all speakers completely with no effect. 

Then I’ll guess I have to wait :)

And yes, other users simply haven’t noticed it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gentrylord 

Was something playing when you flipped the speakers? I would imagine that you would need to stop playback and restart after inverting the speakers.

It was my understanding up to this point that the only part of inverted mounting of Era 300s that did not yet work was TruePlay Tuning, so if the above is not the answer, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.