Does Beam Gen 2 & Mini Sub really support Dolby Atmos or any Surround Sound

Back in January 2023, I decided to treat myself to a full entertainment system upgrade for my bedroom, replacing my 8 year old TV, PS4, and FireTv Stick with a 2022 LG C2 EVO, PS5, AppleTV 4K, and Sonos Beam gen2 + Mini Sub.

At first I was really happy with the Sonos setup from a sound quality perspective particularly with music, but I struggled with getting surround sound to work. No matter how many times I ran Trueplay front audio sounded further away in front of me and rear audio sounded right in front of me. Left to right surround effects are only really noticeably if my face is within 12 inches of the Beam; I used SpiderMan No Way Home on AppleTV 4K (bought and downloaded not streamed) and some other sources recommended on the internet for testing surround sound.

After reading countless posts on this board and others I update my TV’s setting to Passthrough Audio, eARC enabled, and HDMI settings to Bitstream. No change in surround quality, but I did see it now says Dolby Atmos in the Sonos app. I’m out of my window to return the MiniSub at Best Buy or I would have returned the whole Sonos setup.

Another side effect of using passthrough audio is whenever an Atmos movie is played through my AppleTV 4K there is periodic loud Pops like a speaker blowing and the Beam looses audio for a few seconds before turning back on, its not consistent seems to occur when a lot of action and loud effects like Antman Quantum Mania battle scene at the end of the film. On the PS5 while playing games the sound cuts out (no pop) consistently about every minute for a few seconds which is unbearable because it cuts out dialogue which impacts the gameplay.

So my question is does Sonos Beam gen2 + Mini Sub really support Dolby Atmos and eArc? Is there any solution to the Sonos system not working properly with my TV and PS5? I see a lot of people posting similar issues.

I don’t experience sound cut outs when watching non Dolby Vision / Dolby Atmos content or on the PS5 unless playing a game (ie watching trailers etc through PS store, etc are fine). As far as I know PS5 isn’t Atmos.

I still hope surround sound will one day work, but I suspect it never will. The audio is still far better than the TV speakers alone especially with the mini sub, but I could have bought a lot cheaper system and had the same effective stereo results.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7

Yes, the Beam (Gen 2) + Sub Mini setup does support Dolby Atmos and 5.1 surround sound. But if you want to experience a true surround experience, adding a pair of surround speakers to your setup will make a big difference. The Beam alone creates more of a virtual surround experience.

For the audio pops, try this:

Make sure the TV has the latest firmware/software installed. Then disconnect everything from the TV and unplug the Beam and TV from power for a couple of minutes. Plug everything back in but keep everything disconnected. Be sure Simplink is enabled in the TV settings. Run TV Setup in the Sonos app and follow the app instructions. When the app instructs you, connect the Beam to the TV’s HDMI ARC/eARC port using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. After the Beam has been successfully connected, connect the Apple TV to the TV.

FYI, these are the best settings for your setup:

TV settings:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream
Digital Sound Output: Pass Through
eARC Support: On

Apple TV settings:

Change Format: OFF
Dolby Atmos: ON

PS5 settings:

Output Device: HDMI Device (AV amplifier)
HDMI Device Type: AV amplifier
Number of Channels: 5.1 ch
Audio Format (Priority): Linear PCM for gaming or when watching a DTS-encoded Blu-ray disc. When streaming content from the PS5 or watching a Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos encoded Blu-ray disc, change this setting to Dolby.

When watching Blu-ray discs, there is another audio setting that must be adjusted when you start the disc. Tap the Options button on the controller, select the “…” and change the Audio Format setting to Bitstream for Dolby-encoded discs. Change this setting to Linear PCM for DTS-encoded discs.

Yes, the Beam (Gen 2) + Sub Mini setup does support Dolby Atmos and 5.1 surround sound. But if you want to experience a true surround experience, adding a pair of surround speakers to your setup will make a big difference. The Beam alone creates more of a virtual surround experience.

For the audio pops, try this:

Make sure the TV has the latest firmware/software installed. Then disconnect everything from the TV and unplug the Beam and TV from power for a couple of minutes. Plug everything back in but keep everything disconnected. Be sure Simplink is enabled in the TV settings. Run TV Setup in the Sonos app and follow the app instructions. When the app instructs you, connect the Beam to the TV’s HDMI ARC/eARC port using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. After the Beam has been successfully connected, connect the Apple TV to the TV.

FYI, these are the best settings for your setup:

TV settings:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream
Digital Sound Output: Pass Through
eARC Support: On

Apple TV settings:

Change Format: OFF
Dolby Atmos: ON

PS5 settings:

Output Device: HDMI Device (AV amplifier)
HDMI Device Type: AV amplifier
Number of Channels: 5.1 ch
Audio Format (Priority): Linear PCM for gaming or when watching a DTS-encoded Blu-ray disc. When streaming content from the PS5 or watching a Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos encoded Blu-ray disc, change this setting to Dolby.

When watching Blu-ray discs, there is another audio setting that must be adjusted when you start the disc. Tap the Options button on the controller, select the “…” and change the Audio Format setting to Bitstream for Dolby-encoded discs. Change this setting to Linear PCM for DTS-encoded discs.

Hi @GuitarSuperstar,

Thanks for your reply. I’ve read your posts across multiple threads and am using those settings. I am on the latest firmware for all involved devices.

I came across another thread related to Samsung tvs with the same problem and the respondent stated a use case and proposed solution. Essentially using the settings state above, if you have consistent sound breaks like every 1-2 minutes (like me) change the PS5 setting to 7.1 ch. I no longer have any audio issues with the PS5, so far. Since the Beam is only virtual 5.1 it means I now have a vey expensive stereo sound bar. I never got surround to work even with AppleTV or running Netflix from the LG directly anyway.

As far as the AppleTV situation, I did a hard reboot of the Sonos and AppleTV so time will tell since the issue with popping was only with Dolby Vision+Atmos content like Spider-man no way home, Ant-man Quantum Mania, etc. I’m going to watch the new Avatar this weekend over Disney+ so I’ll see if its still a problem.

Any tips on how to get the Beam to do proper surround, like where the virtual rear channels actually sound like behind me?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I can believe the Beam can produce virtual height channels when playing Atmos. I seriously doubt it would also produce virtual rear channels - why would you need rear speakers otherwise?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Beam Gen 2 uses a sound software called as “virtualizers” it produces atmos or 3D sound effects without an actual atmos speakers, though it supports atmos formats while making a virtual sound using speaker sounds combination as an atmos effect.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I can believe the Beam can produce virtual height channels when playing Atmos. I seriously doubt it would also produce virtual rear channels - why would you need rear speakers otherwise?

Virtual rear channels are possible depends on the room size, the sound waves need to bounce from behind in able to produce virtual rear sound effect.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Virtual rear channels are possible depends on the room size, the sound waves need to bounce from behind in able to produce virtual rear sound effect.

it can be achieved by using or enabling sonos “TruePlay” function

No, that’s not what the ‘TruePlay’ function does. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Kaizos Please link to where Sonos explains this function.

My bedroom is a rectangle shape.

The Beam is mounted to a stand which suspends it below my TV. It’s set to a height off the ground so whether I’m in my articulating bed in TV mode or in a chair the Beam’s line of sight would be roughly at my neck.

The Beam is at the far end of the room, with a clear line of sight all the way to other end roughly 9 to 10ft apart. The room is a rectangle shape but the opposite end where the Beam fires sound towards has one side about 3ft of length left to right thats about 1 to 2 ft deeper where the entry is. I however have the Beam center to fire in the part where the rear wall is even left to right along the bed.

In bed my head would be about 8ft away from the Beam very close to the wall. In my chair I’d be 3 ft from the Beam. The mini sub is located off to a corner on the side of the Beam and elevated off the floor on a mini fridge. I find the bass is punchier elevated off the floor. In this configuration, the bass hits harder to me when I’m in bed versus when I’m in the chair; head 8ft away vs 4 ft away.

I’ve run Trueplay many times and the virtual rear channels always sound in front of me. I read a post from an ARC users that Trueplay is causing his bar to make sound popping noise. I wonder if it's the cause of my popping noise also. Since resetting the Beam I haven’t had any popping noise so far.

I opened a support ticket with Beam and never got a response, glad to know they stand behind their products especially how much they cost.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

No, that’s not what the ‘TruePlay’ function does. 

this is correct, it doesn't, but i believe with the help of ‘TruePlay’ the sound waves are enhanced/adjusted to make the sound bounce on surfaces to produce virtual surround. only users can tell the difference though.

Update, my modified settings above solved the sound issues. Still no virtual surround with or without TruePlay. I know some say it’s LG, but if you research the internet, like I should have before I bought into Sonos product line, you’ll see its not just LG, but also includes Samsung and others.

The audio quality and especially with mini sub are great for playing music off Apple Music in effectively stereo sound, but it does not deliver any form of surround sound or even a wide sound stage in my opinion. If you haven’t bought yet, buy another brand. Sonos still hasn't contacted me about the issues.

Update, my modified settings above solved the sound issues. Still no virtual surround with or without TruePlay. I know some say it’s LG, but if you research the internet, like I should have before I bought into Sonos product line, you’ll see its not just LG, but also includes Samsung and others.

The audio quality and especially with mini sub are great for playing music off Apple Music in effectively stereo sound, but it does not deliver any form of surround sound or even a wide sound stage in my opinion. If you haven’t bought yet, buy another brand. Sonos still hasn't contacted me about the issues.

Utter nonsense.  I have a Beam Gen 2, surround Ones, and a Sub in my bedroom, and the surround effects are obvious and pronounced, with both TV and Atmos music sources.  If you aren't experiencing any surround effects, it's your TV settings, or your source.  It's certainly not Sonos being incapable of delivering "any form of surround sound."

Utter nonsense.  I have a Beam Gen 2, surround Ones, and a Sub in my bedroom, and the surround effects are obvious and pronounced, with both TV and Atmos music sources.  If you aren't experiencing any surround effects, it's your TV settings, or your source.  It's certainly not Sonos being incapable of delivering "any form of surround sound."

I don’t have rear speakers so comparing your setup to mine is, well, utter nonsense :D

I bought the Beam because a major selling point is the ability to have convincing virtual Dolby Atmos surround sound with just the Beam only. They even have an animation of it on the product page, see link below.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/beam?utm_campaign=GGL_US_EN_SONOS_B_TRADEMARK_EXACT_360i&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_content=GGL_US_EN_SONOS_B_TRADEMARK_EXACT_360i&utm_term=sonos+tv+bar&ds_rl=1245022&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoumnj4bf_wIVT8eGCh0FOQKXEAAYASABEgK03fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Clearly I lack a little common sense also for buying into their marketing BS.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

@jgatie 

My previous attempts to respond went to moderation so I’m guessing Sonos was upset I’m calling them out and I’m now unblocked or because I posted links to the official Sonos Beam product page which clearly states and even has animations that with the Beam only (no physical rear speakers) I should be able to experience high quality virtual Atmos surround sound. Comparing your setup which include real rear speakers to my setup which uses only the Beam plus Minisub is utter nonsense LOL

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@ Lucky Dragon, Think about it…..why would people buy and set up rear speakers if the bar could produce the same effect without them? You will not get a true surround experience with the bar only, no matter what advertising you have seen. You may get a slight surround effect if you are lucky, and you should get some height with an Atmos input, but in all honesty I struggle to here much height as that is also an effect with the beam gen 2, where as the Arc has upward firing speakers. I honestly think that you are hoping for too much regarding surround effects.

@ Lucky Dragon, Think about it…..why would people buy and set up rear speakers if the bar could produce the same effect without them? You will not get a true surround experience with the bar only, no matter what advertising you have seen. You may get a slight surround effect if you are lucky, and you should get some height with an Atmos input, but in all honesty I struggle to here much height as that is also an effect with the beam gen 2, where as the Arc has upward firing speakers. I honestly think that you are hoping for too much regarding surround effects.

When I first started this post I believed I was duped by marketing and social media hype about this product line and brand. In my experience it failed to performed as the company claims. Then I came across this one YouTube video which brought the setup to life. The 3D effect is what I expected, a wide and engulfing virtual surround sound stage, front audio was in front of me, the effect of rear audio was barely there, but the effect of side channels was clearly present and the sound effects like thunder roared across the virtual sound stage including a sense of overhead audio.

After experiencing that I thought maybe I need higher quality source material so I bought Wonder Woman on Blu-ray. Even with the latest PS5 update which now supports Dolby Atmos, and the Sonos app says the Beam is receiving Atmos from the PS5, still unable to create  a surround stage. Every time I play that YouTube video it just comes to life though.

I don’t know for sure, but my current opinion is despite wha the Sonos app is saying about the source, there must be some processing going on at the LG tv layer which would make sense since that YouTube video is specifically it’s designed to demo LG TV 3D sound and I happen to have a LG C2 EVO OLED.

My recommendation remains the same to friends, colleagues, and anyone who asks me about Sonos. Don’t buy it. Go with a matched set, like if you buy an LG get the matching LG sound bar etc.

The stereo experience with my setup is just fine and far better the bare LG TV. When I replace this TV or maybe add another I’m definitely going first party all the way to ensure compatibility. Probably will dig deep into the wallet and get a Sony Bravia line. The 2023 models on paper look impressive both picture quality and audio quality wise and are also PS5 3d audio ready.