Answered

Connecting/swapping between TV and PC?

• 5 September 2023
  • 7 replies

I have a Sonos Arc, Era 300’s and Sub mini.

I have them connected in a surround setup with my Sony X90J TV and they work beautifully…but I’d like to also connect them to my PC.

Is it possible to have them connect to PC with ease and be able to swap between the 2? I had hoped I could just change my “input” on my TV remote from cable/Netflix etc. over to my HDMI 2.1 channel for PC and it would just automatically play? But it sounds like from what I’ve read that I have to use special equipment (e.g. connected to my motherboard, or cables, or Bluetooth?) I’ve read different things and am very confused. 

Can someone please walk me through how to connect to PC and swap between TV and PC in the easiest way possible? Thank you for your time and consideration 🙏

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 5 September 2023, 09:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Not easily. The Sonos Arc depends on an ARC channel, something most PCs don’t generate. That means you’d need an ARC generating matrix that you connect both the TV and your PC to, and connect the Sonos to that…not terribly easy or cheap. Currently, there is the HD Fury Arcana, the Feintech VAX04101k, and the latest, is the OREI HDA-935, but there may be more at this point. You can also order from those links from the companies directly, or check your local retailers for availability. Amazon may carry some, depending on location. Any of those devices will create the ARC channel that Sonos is looking for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

When using a Sonos soundbar the TV is meant be the hub of all connections. So if your PC is connected to one of the HDMI ports on your TV it should work.

Thank you. I connected my PC and it worked perfect just as I had hoped it would. Switching inputs and it didn’t skip a beat. 

how does this guy, Airgetlam, have 30K replies on this forum and get that wrong? He was linking me to buy *. I would have been so p****d. 

Thank you again 🙏

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Thank you. I connected my PC and it worked perfect just as I had hoped it would. Switching inputs and it didn’t skip a beat. 

how does this guy, Airgetlam, have 30K replies on this forum and get that wrong? He was linking me to buy *. I would have been so pissed. 

Thank you again 🙏

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Your question, particularly the thread title,  was rather poorly worded. I honestly had no idea if you intended to your route your PC audio through your TV, or if you wanted to play PC audio without having the TV on and involved in the connection.   

The answer you liked is not swapping between PC and TV, the actual question in your title.  @Airgetlam correctly answered what is needed to swap between PC and TV.  Instead of being rude to people who volunteer their time to help you, maybe work on trying to communicate more clearly. 

Mark me down as another who thought “Connecting/swapping between TV and PC” was actually swapping between a TV and a PC.  It never crossed my mind that people would want to use their TV as a PC monitor (who sits that far from a PC?).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In my answer I focused on the “I had hoped I could just change my “input” on my TV remote from cable/Netflix etc. over to my HDMI 2.1 channel for PC and it would just automatically play?” part of the question. I wasn’t sure what was meant though, hence the “if”. @Airgetlam focused on the title, which is also understandable.

Upon review, I’ll admit I could have worded it better…but I did specify “input” …simple deductive logic should have made it obvious at that point - (to the high and mighty person sticking their nose into this.) I thought maybe he was getting kick backs or something - I couldn’t understand why I was linked to products once I realized that it inherently works and there was nothing I needed to do. 

I appreciate both of you who took the time to answer my question. Thank you