Answered

Can Sonos Beam be used with Apple Mac?

• 11 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Can Sonos Beam be used with Apple Mac? What connections would I use? (The Mac has an HDMI port and an Ethernet port). 

icon

Best answer by buzz 11 April 2023, 23:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

You cable box will always be connected to your TV typically a non-HDMI-eARC port. Your Beam 2 should connect to a HDMI-eARC port. If a Beam Gen1 just connect it to a HDMI-ARC port. Check your TV manual to determine if it allows a direct connection of your Mac to via HDMI. 

Hmmmm.   I have come to understand that my Sonos Beam has to be connected to the HDMI ARC port on the back of my Samsung TV with a special HDMI ARC cable.  There are two other HDMI ports.  Can I connect my cable box to one of these ports? Can I connect my Mac Mini to the other port so I can continue being able to use a computer on the TV screen and so I can play YouTube music with much better control over playlists and so forth via keyboard and mouse ?   If no, why is Sonos excluding traditional inputs to home theaters and leaving us to the mercies of Alexa and the rotten little TV remote? 

SONOS is not designed to be used as a computer speaker. That said, some SONOS models can use a BT or Airplay 2 connection.

Userlevel 7

Hi

I may have read something relating to your question here in the community but can’t remember when or where. Sorry.

However, I do know you can use a Sonos Roam in BT mode. I have two in stereo pair connected to my Mac Studio. I listen to music via the Sonos App for songs in my library as well as streaming via SiriusXM. I can also play music via Apple Music downloaded to my Mac and streamed. 

Your profile doesn’t indicate that you have any Sonos products. That said (if it’s possible to use a Beam) a Beam 2 will cost $499_USD and not give the same stereo separation as two Roams costing $358_USD (saving $141_USD. If you already have a Beam or Beam 2 then cost may be a moot point.