Beam Surround Capabilities

• 18 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I’m trying to figure out how to get the most out of my Beam + 2 Play:1s surround system for TV and streaming services.

My Sonos system above is complemented with an Xbox One, Chromecast (2nd generation), a Winegard FL5500A FlatWave Amped antenna, and an older LG LS4500 TV. The Beam is connected via the digital audio output.

I’ve been noticing that I only get PCM Stereo 2.0 no matter the game or app I’m using through the Xbox or Chromecast, but I get Dolby Digital 5.1 from the antenna. I’m assuming Dolby Digital 5.1 is desirable over PCM Stereo 2.0 (although I am hearing sounds in the rear speakers even when the app shows that it’s receiving a stereo feed).

My question is this. Is the stereo signal a limitation in my TV’s older HDMI inputs? Do I need to upgrade my TV or my input devices (maybe to a new Google Chromecast with Android TV) to get more a more consistent and reliable surround signal passed on to my Beam? Or is this the best that the Beam + 2 Play:1s can do?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

You have an older TV that was released in 2012. More than likely your TV cannot pass through 5.1 audio from an external media device. If you want Dolby Digital 5.1 audio to play from your Xbox and Chromecast to your Beam, you need to get a new TV.

That’s what I was thinking. It’s my oldest piece of hardware at the moment. I appreciate the confirmation!