Beam Gen 2 loses eArc connection to Samsung S95

• 22 October 2023
  • 49 replies

Hardware

Samsung S95B 65” (firmware 1520)

Apple TV 4K (iOS17)

Sonos Beam Gen 2 (latest firmware)

I have the AppleTv connected into HDMI 1

i have the Sonos Beam Gen 2 connected into the HDMI 3 eARC.

CEC is switched on.

Background

For the past 9 months since getting the setup everything has worked perfectly. The TV has switched on with the Apple Remote, the input defaults to HDMI 1 and audio plays out the soundbar be default.

Issue

2 weeks ago, this all stopped. Whenever I turn the TV on with the Apple TV remote and use the AppleTV apps the Samsung Tv no longer sees the Sonos Beam and defaults to TV Speaker.

Workaround

The only way to fix it is by switching off the Beams power disconnecting the HDMI and reconnecting, the TV then sees the Beam again, reinitialises the connection and continues to play audio from the Beam.

As soon as I switch the tv off again… later that day, turn it back on and I have to repeat the same process. CEC isn’t being disabled and no config is changing in the TV settings, it just won’t see the Sonos on when it starts up.

Attempted fixes

I’ve factory reset all devices, changed all the HDMI cables, and none of these things have made a difference.

Potential causes?

Sonos recently released an update for the Beam 2 and Samsung released an update for the TV at roughly the same time and the issue has occurred since then.

Next Steps

I know there are multiple questions on here, and Samsung forums with other users all experiencing the same issue with the same Hardware. Neither side can understand if it’s a Samsung or Sonos issue or how to fix it.

Can we start a thread of users with the same issue and see if Sonos will look at the issue?

Thanks 

Corry P 5 months ago

Hi @JamesBuk et al

There was a similar issue recently whereby Beams would have no audio when playing TV audio coming from certain Samsung TVs, which has now been resolved. As your TV and Beam seem to be losing the connection between them, however, this seems like a different issue. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

Sorry to hear you’re having connection issues with your Beam 2 and Samsung TV. As far as starting a thread well …you’ve done ✅ that. 🙂.

To get Sonos involved further I suggest you duplicate the issue to allow the dis-connect. Do not attempt to re-start anything. Within 10 minutes or less open the Sonos app and go to Settings > Support > Submit Diagnostics. Record the Reference ID in your next post. Call Sonos Tech support. They may be able to see if there’s anything going on with the Beam 2.

If all is well I’d contact Samsung. I had an issue with my LG  and their tech support walked me through a series of steps not available to consumers to correct the issue.

Edit: The issue with my LG was a corrupt software update.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hardware

Samsung S95B 65” (firmware 1520)

Apple TV 4K (iOS17)

Sonos Beam Gen 2 (latest firmware)

I have the AppleTv connected into HDMI 1

i have the Sonos Beam Gen 2 connected into the HDMI 3 eARC.

CEC is switched on.

Background

For the past 9 months since getting the setup everything has worked perfectly. The TV has switched on with the Apple Remote, the input defaults to HDMI 1 and audio plays out the soundbar be default.

Issue

2 weeks ago, this all stopped. Whenever I turn the TV on with the Apple TV remote and use the AppleTV apps the Samsung Tv no longer sees the Sonos Beam and defaults to TV Speaker.

Workaround

The only way to fix it is by switching off the Beams power disconnecting the HDMI and reconnecting, the TV then sees the Beam again, reinitialises the connection and continues to play audio from the Beam.

As soon as I switch the tv off again… later that day, turn it back on and I have to repeat the same process. CEC isn’t being disabled and no config is changing in the TV settings, it just won’t see the Sonos on when it starts up.

Attempted fixes

I’ve factory reset all devices, changed all the HDMI cables, and none of these things have made a difference.

Potential causes?

Sonos recently released an update for the Beam 2 and Samsung released an update for the TV at roughly the same time and the issue has occurred since then.

Next Steps

I know there are multiple questions on here, and Samsung forums with other users all experiencing the same issue with the same Hardware. Neither side can understand if it’s a Samsung or Sonos issue or how to fix it.

Can we start a thread of users with the same issue and see if Sonos will look at the issue?

Thanks 

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/15-8-update-is-a-nightmare-6885678

please read all the post and you understand everything.

I have the same problem - We bought a Samsung QE55QN95C a few weeks ago and last Sunday a Sonos Beam Gen 2 and set it up Monday 23rd October.

When we switch the TV off and return later or next day, we have to reboot the Beam by switching the power off at the wall and pressing the ‘Join’ button on the back of the Beam. The white light flashes, goes flashing red and then steady white. Speaker then changes from TV Speaker to HDMI-eARC, sound bar kicks in and is good for the duration. We start again the next day (today is Friday) and it’s taken me this long to discover this post today. Was not sure where to go for help.

Thank you.

Are you using an Apple TV?

Just the Samsung QE55QN95C TV + Sonos Beam Gen 2 connected with the Sonos supplied HDMI cable linked to TV HDMI eARC TV connection.

There is also a set top box - Humax FVP-5000T connected to record streamed programs and this is connected to the TV with a new 2.1 HDMI cable.

Thanks

PS - Should I consider removing the Humax and factory set the Sonos Beam soundbar and set it up again?

Update to my issue, I am based based in UK

Saturday 28/10/23 

Switched tv on - connects to TV speaker and not to Beam Gen 2

Switch wall plug to Beam off and Beam’s light goes out - waited 15 seconds

Switched Beam’s wall switch back on ->>>>>

Sonos Beam white light flashes - goes steady and sound comes from soundbar

(I previously was pressing the join button as well - perhaps that was an unnecessary step)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Do not reset without being prompted to do so by Sonos.

Have you tried if this the fault also happens when you disconnect the Humax?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

you can’t fix this issue the fix have to come from sonos. after the update to 15.8 sonos change the behave of the HDMI that have a conflict with the connect to the eARC of the samsung tv.

sonos know that issue and we waiting for a fix.

Hello 106rallye -

The Humax has no issues to date - the Humax is switched on after doing the connection routine as I described in my previous post between the TV & the Beam Gen 2 to connect from TV speaker to Beam. I see the “Sonos Beam(HDMI-eARC)” message when increase/decrease the sound. 

Today I went from TV sound, played music from Mac & iphone and back to playing TV over 3 hours and the connection has been secure throughout.

Thanks everyone for all information to date - I was concerned I had a rogue machine in the beginning.

@Sonos - When can we expect an update to this issue. It is really annoying I cannot make use of my Beam Gen2 any longer due to this issue! My television is a Samsung 75q75b!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @bstoop et al

My information is that this issue (or one very like it) was resolved on the 24th of October - as most of you have posted after this date, I recommend that you all check for updates on your TVs and Sonos app. If everything is up to date and you still have this issue, I’d encourage you to get in touch with our technical support team to report as much.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Information is wrong, problem is definitely not fixed....    

So clearly you’re having different issue, which expresses in a similar manner, but wasn’t fixed, rather than the one that was fixed. Have you contacted Sonos technical support, as was suggested in @Corry P ‘s post?

Badge

I have the issue everyone is describing in these posts and yes spoken to Samsung, Sonos, retailer, even had TV taken away to be checked..…the former 2 both being terrible and blaming each other.

Cory P has put this same post across a few different posts on this forum.....not sure what fix he's referring to but it's not the Samsung TV / Beam Gen 2 disconnection/detection issues that were introduced with the 15.8 update.......

I have the issue everyone is describing in these posts and yes spoken to Samsung, Sonos, retailer, even had TV taken away to be checked..…

Cory P has put this same post across a few different posts on this forum.....not sure what fix he's referring to but it's not the Samsung TV / Beam Gen 2 disconnection issues........

Note @Corry P did also ask that if anyone is still experiencing an issue, after checking for Sonos/TV updates, to personally get back in touch with Sonos Support. So if the matter is perhaps easily reproduced, then just gather the evidence - video/diagnostic report etc. and get back in touch with them via this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Bonjour 

ma télé : Samsung QE55Q83 avec une version à jour 1520

Sonos en version 15.9

cela ne fonctionne toujours pas

je ne vois pas comment Sonos aurait résolu le problème sans changer de version ! 

je vais les appeler afin d'avoir un ticket d'incident 

Mais quand on paie des centaines d'Euros et devoir débrancher son enceinte tous les jours je ne comprends pas que Sonos ne soit pas en mesure de traiter le pb plus rapidement 

je reviendrai avec les résultats de mon appel

@Matoc 

Oui, je les appellerais. Notez que le personnel ici suggère que si tout est à jour et que vous rencontrez toujours ce problème, contactez leur équipe d'assistance technique pour le signaler - Peut-être reproduire le problème de déconnexion et soumettre un rapport de diagnostic, etc., puis obtenez en contact avec eux via le lien.

J'espère que vous aurez réglé le problème.👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @JamesBuk et al

There was a similar issue recently whereby Beams would have no audio when playing TV audio coming from certain Samsung TVs, which has now been resolved. As your TV and Beam seem to be losing the connection between them, however, this seems like a different issue. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm having that problem from time to time especially when using Samsung apps (Netflix,HBO,etc) since the update to version 8.1.

samsung and beam2. 

Did you read the pinned reply from a Sonos rep, or did you just post in multiple threads, ignoring the pinned post?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I read that the problem was solved but sometimes it still happens to me, that's why I was asking if any new version fixes it.

I read that the problem was solved but sometimes it still happens to me, that's why I was asking if any new version fixes it.

Anyone still having such issues are being advised to contact Sonos technical support. I would perhaps do that at the earliest opportunity and provide them with the details of your setup with accompanying diagnostic reports etc.

Bonjour à tous,

j'ai enfin réussi à résoudre mon problème après 2 appels à Sonos et 1 appel à Samsung

Avec Sonos nous avons retiré tous ce qui étaient branchés à la TV sauf la Beam

Puis j'ai également retiré les mises à jours automatiques (sur l'iphone) Sonos

Puis j'ai appelé Samsung et on a fait un reset d'Usine - attention pas celui que vous pouvez faire seul - celui fait par le technicien Samsung 

Et Depuis je ne perds plus la connexion E arc toutes les nuits 

Par ailleurs il faut noter que ma tv est passée sous une version 1602 entre temps !

Bref vous l'aurez compris je ne sais pas si c'est l'arrêt de la mise à jour ou le reset de la tv qui a résolu le pb.

Bon courage

Moderator edit:
Google Translate-

Hello everyone,

I finally managed to resolve my problem after 2 calls to Sonos and 1 call to Samsung

With Sonos we removed everything that was connected to the TV except the Beam

Then I also removed the automatic updates (on the iPhone) Sonos

Then I called Samsung and we did a factory reset - be careful not the one you can do alone - the one done by the Samsung technician

And since then I no longer lose the E arc connection every night

Furthermore, it should be noted that my TV has been upgraded to version 1602 in the meantime!

In short, you will have understood, I don't know if it was stopping the update or resetting the TV that solved the problem.

Good luck

Userlevel 1

I am experiencing the exact same problem. My Beam (Gen 2) won't connect to my Samsung QE50QN90B (via HDMI EARC) when the TV has been in standby for some time. The only fix is to unplug and reboot the Beam. I contacted Sonos customer support and received the following response a few hours ago:

The diagnostic detects the error message that has been recently reported and this is a known issue with the Beam (Gen 2) speakers connected to Samsung TVs. 
Our engineers are currently investigating this issue. There is no estimated time of fix as of the moment. 
The current workaround given is to use the Optical Adapter or reboot the Beam (and possibly TV) when the issue is occuring. 

Userlevel 1

Hello, I was able to fix the Beam Gen 2 connection issue by turning off eARC in the settings of my Samsung TV. It’s now running on ARC only. Since most content I watch isn’t Atmos anyways, this seems to be good a temporary fix while I wait for Samsung to solve there firmware disaster.