Answered

Arc keeps disconnecting from Samsung TV

• 1 December 2022
  • 51 replies

Show first post

51 replies

I have the same problem.  I found a thread on reddit which suggested that I hard reset the Samsung Frame 55 TV (2022) and then run the TV connection wizard on the Sonos app.  I did this, and same deal - the TV won’t detect the Sonos Arc sound bar; it displays a screen saying “trying to identify device” and asks me to press down if it’s a PC.

I am using a high-quality HDMI cable but not the original because of how far I had to fish it through the wall to connect to the Samsung OneConnect box.  I don’t think it’s the cable, because this worked flawlessly since I installed the TV originally (over a year ago) and only stopped connecting within the last 2 months.  I think this is most likely a software issue caused by an update?

Any help would be appreciated.  Super annoying when it worked perfectly since installing and now I have these issues when I changed *nothing*.

I have the same problem.  I found a thread on reddit which suggested that I hard reset the Samsung Frame 55 TV (2022) and then run the TV connection wizard on the Sonos app.  I did this, and same deal - the TV won’t detect the Sonos Arc sound bar; it displays a screen saying “trying to identify device” and asks me to press down if it’s a PC.

I am using a high-quality HDMI cable but not the original because of how far I had to fish it through the wall to connect to the Samsung OneConnect box.  I don’t think it’s the cable, because this worked flawlessly since I installed the TV originally (over a year ago) and only stopped connecting within the last 2 months.  I think this is most likely a software issue caused by an update?

Any help would be appreciated.  Super annoying when it worked perfectly since installing and now I have these issues when I changed *nothing*.

Have you tried the suggestions in the thread, such as using HDMI-ARC in the TV sound-out settings, rather than HDMI-eARC, to see if that maybe resolves your dropout issue?

Same issue with my setup: 

Sonos Arc connected to HDfury and Apple TV 4K. I am using very high quality firber optic HDMI cables. 

I did not have any issued before upgrading to the latest Apple TV 4k. Since upgrading Sonos Arc keeps dropping off the HDMI connection. So , every time I want to turn on the system, I see on the HDFury LCD that there is no active HDMI on eARC even though ARC is connected and on. I have to unplug the HDMI cable from HDFury and reconnect and it will detect ARC. 
Also I have constant issues with Apple TV volume control which also started after upgrading to the latest Apple TV 4k. 

Help please :(((

Have you tried the suggestions in the thread, such as using HDMI-ARC in the TV sound-out settings, rather than HDMI-eARC, to see if that maybe resolves your dropout issue?

Hi Ken,

The settings I have available are HDMI-eARC “auto” or “off”.  I have tried both with the same result (not recognizing Arc sound bar).  I have even tried connecting the HDMI cable to a regular HDMI port on the OneConnect box (instead of the eARC port).  Again, same result.  It isn’t a dropout issue any more - it simply won’t connect.  It started as a dropout issue which I resolved a few times by powering everything down and disconnecting, then reconnecting, but now it simply will not recognize the sound bar at all.

Badge +2

Same random problem with a Sonos Arc + Samsung Q95T TV.

My sound control using the Samsung remote or Uverse remote one day stopped controlling the volume.  After trying various recommendations to fix the problem, I settled on the multiple suggestions to unplug the TV, Sonos Arc and Uverse receiver/recorder.

After doing that and plugging all back in for power…. all Remotes allowed the sound control again.

It looks like a lot of people are having Arc disconnect problems.  If you have a streaming device hooked up, a CEC blocker will fix the problem.  The blocker device has to be in-line with the offending peripheral, as far as I know.  I don’t think putting a CEC blocker in line with a cable or satellite box will work.
If you are getting disconnects without a streamer in place, then it’s a real mystery to me.   Since an Amazon Fire Cube is the culprit on my Samsung NEO, a CEC blocker stopped the disconnect.  Interestingly a Roku Express doesn’t cause the problem.  I think, therefore, it is incumbent on Amazon or Sonos to tix this bug.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
DH

This is the first I’m seeing this solution about a CEC blocker, and it seems logical to me, the AppleTV we use is likely the culprit.  My Arc disconnects almost daily, and I have to unplug everything and run the TV Setup option from the Sonos app, which is a pain for a wall mounted TV.

There’s only one HDMI cable routed from my TV to the storage cabinet, so I use an HDMI switch for all of our devices (other than the ARC, which is directly connected to the TV).

If I use the CEC blocker, I’m worried that will interfere with the automatic switching of the HDMI switch, unless I put it on the output of the switch?

Thanks!

@Hembling,

I would perhaps power everything off for a minute or two and remove the HDMI cable from the TV Arc/eARC port and when all have powered back on, ensure AnyNet+ is enabled in the TV settings, then run the “TV Setup” in the Sonos App/Arc room settings and reconnect the HDMI cable to the TV Arc port when prompted to do that in the App and see if that resolves the issue.

@Hembling,

I would perhaps power everything off for a minute or two and remove the HDMI cable from the TV Arc/eARC port and when all have powered back on, ensure AnyNet+ is enabled in the TV settings, then run the “TV Setup” in the Sonos App/Arc room settings and reconnect the HDMI cable to the TV Arc port when prompted to do that in the App and see if that resolves the issue.

Hi Ken - I appreciate your continued help. Yup did that already… AnyNet+ is enabled and I even tried enabling the “input signal plus” on HDMI port 3 (the eARC port) to see if that would help. It didn’t.

@Hembling,

Hi Ken - I appreciate your continued help. Yup did that already… AnyNet+ is enabled and I even tried enabling the “input signal plus” on HDMI port 3 (the eARC port) to see if that would help. It didn’t.

So do you think it might be the Samsung TV, or the Sonos Arc, that’s the issue here? Are you in a position where you can perhaps ’easily’ try the Sonos Arc with another TV in your Home?

Slightly similar experience here, just got my Arc two weeks ago and has it hooked up to a Samsung The Frame 75, 2022. What happens in my case is that normally everything works as expected but every once in a while, switching between sources or jumping between TV channels, I will loose audio. 

The easy fix I have is to switch channel or jump back to the previous source and try again, then it normally works but it is still very annoying. Came from a Playbar connected optical and never had these issues... wierd... 

Have tried most settings but have not found a fix yet..

Having similar issue with 2 different clients both have a little older Samsung TVs and they are using optical not ARC and they are not getting tv sound anymore. Stated about the same time. Was an update pushed that broke the optical connection? 

Perhaps by Samsung, but not by Sonos. There are too many PLAYBARs and PLAYBASEs, not to mention Arcs that still use an optical input. 

However, I would actually be expecting that somehow those TV sets in question got changed from a Dolby Digital output to something that has more bandwidth than can be carried by an optical cable. A simple reset of the TVs output in the settings, or a reset of the settings of the device that is feeding the TV is where I would be looking. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have now given up the eARC connection. I have managed to the optical connection and use the DirectTV remote to control the Arc volume, with the Arc sound coming on when I turn the TV on. Surround sound is still very good using the optical connection and Era 100s for the rear speakers. I can play Dolby Atmos from music sources through wifi, just not hear Dolby Atmos from a TV source. I enjoy the Sonos Arc and the Samsung TV too much to give up either for the sake of the other. 

Everything has been reset and defaulted. Reconfigured. Sonos keeps saying no hdmi detected even though it’s been told it’s using optical no arc available. As mentioned these are older Samsungs that don’t have any new firmware updates available. 

Have you tried the reset sequence given in the best answer above? It’s important that everything is unplugged from the TV after the reboot — and that the TV be unpowered for at least two minutes. (or the TV will not fully reboot.)

I’m experiencing the same issue multiple drop outs but eventually rights it’s self 

Especially hard for Sonos to ‘fix’ a Samsung bug. Sonos has occasionally made minor missteps, but since this bug doesn’t occur on any other manufacturers TVs, it makes it pretty clear which side the bug lies on. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have followed the advice in this thread, and other threads, about this topic in terms of resetting, rebooting, sequentially plugging and unplugging everything and leaving the TV and Arc powered down for as long as 15 minutes. Using eARC HDMI the TV will not recognize Sonos Arc as an available sound source. Thanks for everyone’s input, but I’m going to stick with the optical connection for now. 

Nice write up! On point for sure! The real sad part about this is we should not even have to spend all of this time writing about or figure out what the manufacturer’s fail to do, but should be enjoying the products! But nooooooo! Instead they gloat about how great their products are filled with lies. This is a “Sonos” web site and I doubt anyone from Sonos ever gets involved!  

Userlevel 7

Same problem.  Samsung QN90AA and Sonos Arc.  Periodic no audio from TV.  So crappy.

At first I tried to unplug then replug HDMI, but then I got concerned about the frequent replugging and possibly damaging the connector.  So now I pull power to the Arc, and I wait, then replug and it comes back.  Still, it is a pain in the butt.  

My family thinks I suck because my super expensive sound system does not work correctly.  The Arc sounds great, but this problem sucks.  The old Playbar I replaced did not have this problem.  

Please fix.  

Set the TV to these settings:

HDMI-eARC Mode: Auto (set it to OFF if only using the TV’s native apps)

Digital Output Audio Format: Pass-Through

Same issue here. The issue is intermittent. But when it happens, it flip-flops two or three times and then seems to settle down. My setup is a Sony Bravia 4k UR2 and an Arc, two Fives and a Sub

Badge

I am having the same issue with my new Samsung TV. Very annoying. I can’t believe Sonos is not addressing this. I just ordered this BlueRigger 4K HDMI CEC Less Adapter (UHD, ARC,1080p, Ethernet, Male to Female CEC Blocker) -Compatible with HDTV, TV Stick, Chromecast, Nintendo Switch, Xbox, PS5, Laptop, PC, Game Console, Soundbar https://a.co/d/al0W1Ao

Hopefully, it will resolve the issue.

Scott

i’ve also been having this issue as of the past week.  Likely a red herring, but after connecting to my Samsung TV with Apple AirPlay, it’s now been consistently disconnecting my Beam + Onex2 setup (in that I cannot choose HDMI receiver as an option for my sound output). 

Just happened today after it first occurred. It was fixed after the first occurrence by disconnecting all HDMI inputs and power from the Beam and the TV, then reconnecting power and the HDMI for the Beam first.  I had also updated Samsung’s TV firmware.  

Really annoying.  Hoping that this is just a hiccup and that it only occurs for a few more times.  If it persists, it is NOT a long term solution.  

Same problem, started at September, while it was working fine for 9 months, now it goes away when i unplug everything, but sooner or later it comes back… QN90B is the TV model