Answered

App not finding Sonos One SL on the network

• 26 February 2022
  • 4 replies

I have tried running through the setup several times.  It will find the unit and goes through the setup, after entering the wifi password it comes back with the message that the unit may need to be reboot to show up in system.  After that it never sees the unit.  I can see the Sonos on the network it has an ip address and I can see port 1443 is open.  However the App never finds it on the network.  I have read that it does not handle SSID’s that are dual 2.4G and 5G so I do have an SSID for 2.4G only.  On both SSID’s I see the unit acquires an ip address (same ip), yet is not found.  I see comments on rebooting the router, which in my case will not make any difference as mine is a true pfsense router and have several AP’s throughout my network.   I can see the Sonos on the network so is communicating with the network just fine and the AP can ping the unit.  This is more the app not finding the unit on the network.

icon

Best answer by nahchetay 27 February 2022, 18:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It sounds like you have a mesh network, since you mention ‘several AP’s’. Depending on your mesh network, it may be breaking your network into several subnets, all using the same SSID, something that Sonos has trouble with. In most mesh network situations, the recommendation is to run the Sonos system as ‘wired’, in which one Sonos device, a speaker or BOOST, is wired to the base router device, thus forcing Sonos on the one subnet. I’d definitely try that in your case. 

You can explore further in the wired and wireless modes FAQ.

Thanks Airgetlam for the reply.  My AP’s are really not setup in a true AP Mesh.  I basically have a primary SSID that serves both 2.4G and 5G on the subnet.  I have some IoT devices that do not handle the dual SSID’s and thus created a separate SSID for 2.4G only, but is the same subnet.  I have only one subnet the AP’s serve.  Even though the Sonos is connected to the IoT subnet, I can ping it from the other subnet.  Question I have is once the Sonos has an IP address, how does the App find and connect to it, is there a port it connects to or does it use multicast to find it?

I suggest you try wiring one device as an experiment, as proposed by Bruce.  You may need to reboot the devices to get them all connected to SonosNet. 

I finally resolved the issue.  I have Aruba AP’s and use Aruba Central to manage them.  By default it disables most Air Services and has broadcast filtering turned on.  I was able to enable the Air Services by following these steps:

Configuring AirGroup Services in Aruba Central

I enabled all AirGroup Services and here is how to disable the broadcast filtering:

Aruba Wifi Controller Broadcast Traffic

It all connected up and is now working.