16.1.1 update not good ...

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
  • Prominent Collaborator II
  • 124 replies

Woke up to sub not being connected. Hardware update available 16.1.1, typical installation issues occurred. Two total shutdowns and restarts later, all hardware again online showing 16.1.1 but am still being prompted for update available. 

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Mine was surrounds in my main room 4 times I ran the update tna still missing had to reboot and remove the surrounds before they reappeared sigh 

then had to redo truplay again kind of used to it failing in some way every time now 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Issues after an update are nearly always caused by network issues, please see my post: https://en.community.sonos.com/speakers-229128/tips-tricks-resolving-random-issues-impacting-sonos-devices-6845346

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Issues after an update are nearly always caused by network issues, please see my post: https://en.community.sonos.com/speakers-229128/tips-tricks-resolving-random-issues-impacting-sonos-devices-6845346

Thanks but was a network engineer for 20 years before retiring last year 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Ever heard of this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ever heard of this?

I hope you sort your issue out, please let us know when you've sorted your issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Not particularly relevant to my original post but thanks.

Why not tell us your experience with the update instead?

Can you explain why S2 app is still calling for update available immediately after successfully installing 16.1.1?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I don't have any issue after the update with my system. IAs I said issues with updates are 99% caused by network issues .  I suggest that you power down all of your Sonos devices for a min of 5 secs and power back on.

Try checking for updates again and if you still have your issue then submit a diagnosis and post the id on this thread.

I don’t have any speakers wired (using direct WiFi connection) and I always have to unplug the Beam and wait for the surrounds to join the WiFi network directly (lights to start flashing then stop) for any update to the Surrounds and Sub to apply.

I also had an issue with Hey Sonos / Sonos Voice not working and with the help of Sonos support worked out that home broadband via 5G (or 4G) is not officially supported - Sonos does not support the low MTUs that mobile networks typically offer. I now have my Sonos routing to the Internet via my fixed broadband and it all works fine.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

To be honest it’s a little frustrating when people always say ‘it’s your network’ as the reason things fail.   In many cases, sure that is plausible — but In 99% of cases ?  Well, where are the facts to back this up? 

I like to think I know what I’m doing.  I’ve been with Sonos since 2009 when updates were a breeze.  I have a fast fibre connection, I have a small-business grade router, and I have *all* devices IP bound by MAC address.   Everything on my network is rock-solid and I can stream ultra-HD (4k) video without issue.  However Sonos updates never work unless I remove Play:1’s as surrounds to my Beam, and I do mean never.   If I don’t do this everything gets horribly screwed up.  Others have this issue.  I don’t know what causes it, but it sure ain’t my network. 

Andrew 

Agree, there’s no reason why Sonos couldn’t support lower MTUs and reply if fragmentation is required

The surrounds not updating when the beam is directly connected to WiFi came in with a firmware update a few years back and I never reported it.. Sonos has always maintained SonosNet in the best way to pair the speakers but as that’s on 2.4GHz it was the worst performing for me.

I just physically unplug the power cable from the beam.. wait a few minutes for the surrounds to notice the beam has disappeared then try the update and it succeeds. Ideally they’d fix that bug.

Sonos should put a lot more effort into logging and diagnostics and friendly error messages.. there’s no reason why the speakers can’t tell you it’s on a network without STP support or IGMP.. or that your MTU is too low to download Sonos Voice

There is little doubt in my mind that the change made a while ago, which causes a greater length of time to apply an update has confounded many of us. The system doesn’t seem to wait until all devices have finished rebooting with the latest data before the polling occurs, especially on devices with older and slower CPUs. So we get false positives sometimes, that suggest we need to run an update again. Sometimes, as @UKMedia suggests, that is indeed a necessary thing, most often due to problems in the WiFi dropping the update process (I think). But sometimes it’s that false positive, and we just need to wait ( not sure how long, I usually wait half an hour) before checking for an update again. It’s mildly frustrating to me that this is the case. Probably because in that half hour, I can’t use the system. One way, pointed out by others, is to set up an automatic time for the firmware to be updated on its own, so it happens ‘magically’ and all I have to do is update my controller. OCD makes this challenging, but it’s a good suggestion. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Updated to 16.1.1 today.

Normally I use iOS App, and the updates always (past 5 or 6 updates?) ‘fail’ with a false positive on the Sub in the iOS App. If I wait a few more minutes, force close the App, then restart iOS App all is good.

Today, to try something different, I used the Windows App to do the 16.1.1 update, and this didn’t behave in same way as iOS App, it completed successfully.

Maybe other that see similar, and have access to Windows Sonos controller could try same?

Just register to say that thanks to update to 16.1.1 my 2.5 years old sonos beam gen 2, stopped working and seems completely dead with flashing white light. Support gave me nothing but a 30% discount to buy another one so yeah, fantastic situation. A very recent beam (< 2 months, different hardware version) gen 2 has been updated without any issue. No powercycles or network issues in the process, looks like the update won’t work with old models. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just register to say that thanks to update to 16.1.1 my 2.5 years old sonos beam gen 2, stopped working and seems completely dead with flashing white light. Support gave me nothing but a 30% discount to buy another one so yeah, fantastic situation. A very recent beam (< 2 months, different hardware version) gen 2 has been updated without any issue. No powercycles or network issues in the process, looks like the update won’t work with old models. 

Hi

I have an old model Beam and the update hasn’t impacted mine - not that helps you, sorry. Are you able to connect the beam to an ethernet cable and try checking for updates again?

Hi

I have an old model Beam and the update hasn’t impacted mine - not that helps you, sorry. Are you able to connect the beam to an ethernet cable and try checking for updates again?

Ey, thanks for the answer. I did yes, it’s connecting through ethernet. The router even give it an IP. Factory reset etc won’t work. Tbh the issue is more in Sonos than in the device, everything feels too convenient since it broke after an update and just a bit after the guarantee expired. Support did almost nothing before send the hardware to recicle. The usual 30% discount is ridiculous.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sorry about that.  Why is it goods always fail just after the warranty ends and not just before! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Sorry about that.  Why is it goods always fail just after the warranty ends and not just before! 

Sometimes they're designed to do exactly that 

I think only my Arcs may be still under warranty. None of the rest of my 20+ devices have failed yet, stretching back over 15 years. 

OTOH, electronics can fail. I do suspect it’s more challenging to design an object that fails at X time.