Question

Will new Sonos ARC provide full featured Dolby Atmos quality sound when connected to: 1) ARC-enabled Samsung TV (Q9; late 2018 edition); and 2) latest Atmos-enabled 4K Apple TV?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

I’ve a Samsung Q80R as well. I can get nothing but 5.1 out of the Arc and it says on the Sonos app system setting that the Arc input is stereo 2.0 from the UHD Blu Ray. I tried resetting the TV to factory settings and briefly it showed that I could access Dolby Digital plus in the settings rather than PCM. But as soon as I set up Netflix again I noticed no Atmos note on movies I knew had it, went back to settings and it had reset to PCM with the Dolby options greyed out again.

I bought the Arc knowing I didn’t have E-ARC HDMI on the telly but had read that Dolby Atmos was available through just HDMI ARC so I thought `you beaut! I’ll have that then’. 
But telly says nooooo.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@jam9 id be curious if the splitter works. Everything I’ve read would suggest not but… worth a shot a suppose! I’m curious. 

Just to follow up on this post, I’ve pre-ordered one of these: https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/. It’s currently in development but is supposed to allow you to split output from an HMDI source to your TV and to the Sonos Arc via eARC. I don’t like having to spend so much when I think Sonos simply could have done a better implementation of connectivity to the sound bar, but if this works, I’ll be happy. In the meantime, I am enjoying getting Dolby DD and the sound is generally very good.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I tried the built-in Netflix app this evening and was able to get DD+ on the Arc. Whether the sound options are greyed out in the TV sound setup or not does seem to depend on what the current stream is presenting. Since my Q9F supports ARC but not eARC, I don’t think I’m getting Atmos even via the TV’s built-in app, just DD or DD+. Once the ARC supports LPCM, I think using a splitter from the Apple TV 4K to the Arc and TV ought to do the trick.

I hope you’re right, but I believe that a splitter will not work because the Arc needs to receive an HDMI ARC input.  I’m not familiar enough with LPCM, would that change this requirement?  I’m not even sure that the Q9F would pass LPCM, at least from extrernal sources.  But, would love for someone to test this once this capability is enabled!

Badge

Yes the lack of robust interoperability with the ATV might be a deal breaker for me too. Not sure the ROI will be there unless something changes. Of course a new ATV is rumored to be released in 2020 so who knows what that will offer. 

finally anyone know anything about a rumored Samsung firmware update enabling eARC on recent ARC TVs? Probably asking too much but I’ve got a lot invested in this fairly new tv model.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Mine arrived two days ago and I have a qe49q70r (2019).  It doesn’t appear that I'm get ATMOS through the built in Netflix app (I can’t see the ATMOS logo in the Sonos now playing screen.)

Where do you look to see if you’re getting DD or DD+?

thanks.

Hi all. I got my Arcana eARC box delivered today and have connected it to my Apple TV 4K and from there to my Samsung Q9F and Sonos Arc. I can confirm I am now getting Dolby Atmos.