Question

Will new Sonos ARC provide full featured Dolby Atmos quality sound when connected to: 1) ARC-enabled Samsung TV (Q9; late 2018 edition); and 2) latest Atmos-enabled 4K Apple TV?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Badge

Thank you. As a laymen in these matter I take what you are saying to be encouraging. I don’t use Blue-ray any more -- our family streams via AppleTV+, Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video.

So if I understand what you are saying does this mean if I switch the connections from the optical hook up to the ARC one and attach that to the new Arc bar when it arrives I should be able to get the full benefits DD+ with Atmos with those streaming sources. That make sense?

So, you could define, if you so choose, the two kinds of Dolby Atmos based on the bandwidth required to carry the data. “Limited”, to use your term, is carried on Dolby Digital Plus connections, which require HDMI ARC or higher bandwidth connections. It can not be carried on optical connections.

“Full” requires the use of Dolby TrueHD, which is carried on eARC. This will carry all available speaker channels to a full Dolby Atmos system.

Caveat here, I don’t have an Arc yet, but I’d be stunned if you could hear the difference between the two kinds of connections types when using a Sonos Arc. It’s a sound bar. There are built in limitations about numbers of speakers and speaker placement. I suspect that Dolby Digital Plus, via HDMI ARC will be quite satisfactory for using the Sonos Arc. However, if you have a 20 speaker + sound system set up with all the required speakers in the correct locations/orientations, I suspect that you could hear a difference in the sound between the two formats. 

So, with that information imparted, I’ll suggest these answers to your questions:

1. Limited, as defined by the connection type, assuming your TV can pass Dolby Digital Plus via HDMI ARC. 
  2. No one is sure yet. There’s discussion around that Apple uses the the MAT format, which is only carried by eARC, but there are some TVs that might be able to translate that to HDMI ARC. Until you have an Arc and can test, there’s no real great way I’ve seen to figure this out. Looking a rtings.com is probably the best at this point, but I’m not convinced that I’m comfortable with the accuracy, having not done any of this testing myself. They could be 100% right, and I lean that way, but I just am unwilling to put money on it. 
  3. Not currently. As has been discussed in many, many threads, everyone is looking for a device that splits off an eARC signal from an HDMI input and sends that out. No one has found one yet. 

Although it varies per TV to what extent Atmos is passed, the most you can get with ARC is Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos.  DD+ is an enhancement over standard DD, but it is still lossy.  To get TrueHD with Atmos, which is lossless, you need eARC.  Note, most streaming services use DD+, there are not many sources of TrueHD outside of Blue-ray.

Badge

Further notes: right now I see that my Samsung Q9 TV is set to “PCM” … and in Expert Settings Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus are greyed out in the current setting and connections (optical right now not ARC).

Badge

Sorry I meant to add that “full” means the full Dolby Atmos immersive surround sound, voice sync, all speaker utilization.

Badge

Well I am not competent enough on the subject to give you precise audiophile definitions … of course none is none and that would mean I just stay with the Playbar and forgo the upgrade to the Arc (not replacing an 18 month old high end expensive TV at this point) … but “limited” relates to more expert insights by some on this site (and elsewhere) who have said that you can use the Arc with ARC capability even if you don't have eARC but that would mean you will get less than the fulsome quality and features that you would get with eARC capability … that help clarify? Thanks.

Please define “full” and “limited”?