Where to place Sonos Arc

• 8 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Would you so kind as to help mi with the following issues as I can't find answers quickly.
And I still prefer to seek support form the source :-)

I tested and bought a Sonos Arc last week and it works well but I can't decide where to put
it to work best. My "indoor cinema" is a retractable screen (3 x 2.5 m) and
a BenQ W2700 projector (photos).

This screen is perforated, which means it is
acoustically "transparent" (but probably not completely). And, the basic issue is that the
screen (rolled out from the ceiling) has its lower edge separated from the floor by 44.5 cm
and the distance from the wall to the screen plane is 29 cm.

I have three options for installing Sonos Arc:
- behind the screen, on the wall (1 m from the floor, "height" of the heads of seated "cinema" viewers)
- on the wall, under the screen (40 cm from the floor)
- on the wall under the screen 44.5 cm from the floor, on a boom eliminating the distance of 29 cm

Which solution is the best from the acoustics point of view?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

None are great but the on wall at ear level is probably the best of the lot.

I’d try every possible option before I started drilling holes using temporary stands.

Thanks for the answer, and I asked before I started experimenting because I thought someone had already faced this problem. I'm just starting my own tests of these three places on Sonus Arc.

But why do you write that "None are great"?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The “acoustically transparent’ screen is likely (as you said) far from transparent.

You can compensate for that on the direct channels with a bit more volume and Trueplay to correct for screen attenuation but I’m pretty sure the screen’s lack of perfect transparency and audio reflections will not do well with the height / Atmos channels.

You’d want to give a critical listen to Atmos content with the screen both up and down to see just how much impact it has. Both music and TV sources if possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Any placement that directs the sound of the Arc behind the screen would be detrimental to the sound experience. But all speaker placement is a compromise between sound quality and practicality. Trust your ears!

Sure, gentlemen, thank you very much for your suggestions and explanations.

Yesterday I started testing and when Arc is placed behind the screen it sounds slightly worse, but only minimally. Generally, the effect is good and now I have to test (because I have the opportunity) the sub and two rear speakers (I'm thinking about Era 300).

Do you have any suggestions on this matter?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

With the screen issues the 300s would likely be a great help in Atmos reproduction.

You usually have to fool around with Sub placement for the best possible results but I’d sure start with it flat to your front wall behind the screen. Second spot I’d try is to the left on the front wall which might boost the low end a bit more.

I understand, thanks a lot for your support and explanations.