Answered

Trying to wrap my head around Arc, ARC, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus and Atmos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

First, split the concept of codec and transmission methods in your mind, they’re two different things. Optical is the transmission method, Dolby Digital is the codec. Now, take it one step further, with Atmos being the content on top of both of those concepts. 

Working backwards from the top, Atmos, by definition, has a multitude of speaker streams in it. This data is manifested in two different codecs, TrueHD, which carries all streams in an uncompressed manner, and Dolby Digital Plus, which carries a smaller number of discrete channels and may be in a lossy state. 

So, the carrier method of each of these is determined by available bandwidth. TrueHD, carrying the ‘ultimate’ expression of Atmos, requires so much bandwidth that it can only run across an eARC connection. Dolby Digital Plus can carry the ‘normal’ version of Atmos, and needs the bandwidth of ARC via HDMI, there’s just too much data to be carried across optical as it was designed. 

My personal opinion is that using a sound bar for Atmos, such as the Sonos Arc is unlikely to provide any significant audio difference between the two methods of transmission. If you have your own dedicated home theater with 20 + professionally installed and placed speakers, I would think eARC is the better way to go. But for the Arc, I suspect that regular Atmos across the Dolby Digital Plus transmission on HDMI ARC will be amazing.