Answered

TCL TV ON with Sonos Beam

• 2 March 2022
  • 8 replies

I have a cheap Walmart TCL Roku TV.  I can control volume and turn tv OFF through the Sonos.

But I can’t turn the TV on or operate the tv menu etc.

The Beam blocks the TV IR.

I should in theory be able to control everything through the BEAM correct?  It’s weird that I can turn the TV off but not otherwise control the TV (other than the volume)

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 3 March 2022, 01:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Sonos products do not make any changes to your TV, or it’s remote, so it should operate as normal. It sounds like the IR signals are not getting through to your TV, so you perhaps need to check that Infrared is switched on in the HT room settings in the Sonos App, or if it is ‘on’, then reposition the TV or Beam, so that the TV can receive the IR signal from your remote,

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The Beam uses HDMI-CEC to control the TV if an ARC or eARC connection is in use. If the TCL is confused by this, try disabling CEC on the TV.

Sonos products do not make any changes to your TV, or it’s remote, so it should operate as normal. It sounds like the IR signals are not getting through to your TV, so you perhaps need to check that Infrared is switched on in the HT room settings in the Sonos App, or if it is ‘on’, then reposition the TV or Beam, so that the TV can receive the IR signal from your remote,

This wasn’t it thanks though

The Beam uses HDMI-CEC to control the TV if an ARC or eARC connection is in use. If the TCL is confused by this, try disabling CEC on the TV.

Doesn’t seem to be a CEC disable option… I tried

@coachmarino,

How do you power the TV ‘on’ at the moment? If the Beam is blocking things, can you not raise up the TV (or lower the Beam), or is that not relevant to what you are experiencing here? 

Also, are you using the HDMI (HEAC supported) cable that came with your Beam, or your own cable?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

My Samsung turns on by voice command (Sonos TV Control) from the Beam.

@coachmarino,

How do you power the TV ‘on’ at the moment? If the Beam is blocking things, can you not raise up the TV (or lower the Beam), or is that not relevant to what you are experiencing here? 

Also, are you using the HDMI (HEAC supported) cable that came with your Beam, or your own cable?

I could try to raise the TV, but it would kinda look terrible...I thought you’d be able to control the TV via the Beam, I could with an older set.  Is this not possible?  

Yeah I’m using the cable that came with it.  Thanks!

I could try to raise the TV, but it would kinda look terrible...I thought you’d be able to control the TV via the Beam, I could with an older set.  Is this not possible?  

Yeah I’m using the cable that came with it.  Thanks!

The TV IR sensor should not be impeded by the position of the Beam.. it does actually mention that in the user-manual. I did go grab this extract from the manual so you can see that is the case…

So you perhaps may need to look closer at your setup to check the remote has a line of sight to the TV sensor so that you can control the various TV menu options, in addition to just controlling the sound.