Answered

Sound keeps cutting out with setting on Digital Output Format Auto on Samsung QN75QN85AAWXXY and using a Sonos Arc.

• 30 March 2024
  • 7 replies

I've encountered an issue with my Samsung QN75QN85AAWXXY TV, specifically when it's set to "Digital Output Format: Auto" and connected to a Sonos Arc soundbar. Despite trying various cables and confirming the TV recognizes the e-ARC connection as it should, the audio intermittently cuts out. This problem arises whether I'm watching free-to-air TV or streaming through any apps on the TV.

Interestingly, when I switch the TV's setting to PCM, the audio dropout issue ceases, but this workaround significantly compromises sound quality since formats like Dolby aren't supported in PCM mode.

I'm reaching out to see if anyone has experienced a similar issue or might have insights or solutions to suggest.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 30 March 2024, 01:22

View original

7 replies

I’m not a Samsung TV user and not experiencing such dropouts, but I have seen other Samsung TV users who mention they have had more success with the eARC option switched off on the connected soundbar HDMI port, so that it just uses the ARC setting, rather than eARC, so perhaps give that a try and see if it solves the issue fir you.

It will still allow the Sonos product to play Dolby Digital Surround Sound and Atmos audio compressed (DD+ etc.) but if you need Dolby TrueHD/MAT (LPCM Multichannel audio) then you’ll just need to enable it for those audio sources.

I rarely use those latter audio sources anyway, as I mostly use Netflix, Prime Movies and Disney+ from Apps built into my TV, FireTV and  Nvidia Shield.

Hope the above suggestion resolves your issue.

I too have been having these issues off and on for the past few years. It has gotten noticeably worse lately especially with my Samsung QN65Q70. Intermittent sound cutting out and short/brief sound skips and drops. Really Sonos??????? Why is this issue all over this forum and all over the internet. I have yet to see a fully satisfying resolution that does NOT involve some type of feature reducing workaround. I have other sound systems connected to my other Samsung TV’s and those sound systems have zero issues!

This has caused me to most definitely plan on NOT buying Sonos ever again. All this money for a SONOS ARC and it can’t seem to simply play sound (without the skips and interruptions) from my Samsung with HDMI set to pass through along with all the other recommended settings. And YES, I have tried all of the power cycling and resets. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn’t. And, when it does work, it’s only for a brief period of time. SONOS you’ve been nothing but a headache. I would never recommend to my friends or anyone else to buy your ARC.

The lack of sound consistency and reliability was just barely “tolerable” before but has been growing more and more intolerable! Please fix your issues!!!!!

Has anyone here or anywhere ever figured whether the problem is with Sonos or Samsung?

I am inclined to think its both a Sonos and a Samsung problem. All of my other external sound devices work fine with other Samsung TV’s in my house. 

It just seems that Sonos is the only audio device that won’t play nice with Samsung

Agreed with you on that issue. Samsung TVs don’t play well with Sonos. No more pass through option for my PS5 and Panasonic UB820. So sad. 

Yea I have tried all of the “solutions” mentioned for other Samsung models, like deactivating the Samsung screen saver, unplugging and restarting everything (power cords, hdmi cables, etc.). Countless times. Sonos “support” is abysmally horrible.

None of this has provided a lasting solution. Why is it that my audio devices from other brands connected to my other Samsungs all work fine? It’s only the Sonos crap that has these issues. Pay top dollar for a “premium” soundbar and this is what you get. Never again. 

Still no permanent acceptable solution? Any updates about this issue? Sonos support seems lacking. Is there a new compatibility issue or something that only recently surfaced between Samsung and Sonos that is causing this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you try Sonos support by calling them?