Sonos Playbase 5.1 with Nvidia shield and Netflix

• 24 August 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge
Some titles not sending 5.1. I have an issue where I have Playbase, sub and 2 Play 1's all working fine as music set up and my set top box when receiving an HD signal gives me 5.1, but when I switch to the shield, only Amazon prime 5.1 gives me 5.1all the time, I tried suites in Netflix and I see 5.1 in Sonos app, but went to Luther which says 5.1 and I see stereo ... Other shows in Netflix that state 5.1 also come as stereo... Not sure why as everything else works fine.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi there, markbakergm. Thanks for posting. Can you tell us a bit more about the layout of your Home Theater? Specifically, how is content getting to Sonos? Is your Playbase plugged directly into the TV? Where does the nVidia Shield come into play?

The more information the Community has, the better we can assist. Thanks!
Hi, I am having the same issue, I have the 2017 Nvidia shield going into my Samsung ue406670 via hdmi 1 and the Sonos beam out of hdmi 2 (arc)
I get 5.1 using the TV Netflix and Amazon app but Netflix and amazon via the shield is stereo only, when I force 5.1, no sound at all.
I have tried to alter the settings on TV and shield but when shield is on my only option is PCM
Any ideas?
Userlevel 1
Hi, I am having the same issue, I have the 2017 Nvidia shield going into my Samsung ue406670 via hdmi 1 and the Sonos beam out of hdmi 2 (arc)
I get 5.1 using the TV Netflix and Amazon app but Netflix and amazon via the shield is stereo only, when I force 5.1, no sound at all.
I have tried to alter the settings on TV and shield but when shield is on my only option is PCM
Any ideas?

Hi, I had a Nvidia Shield 2017 but returned it. The reason it's not working is because the tv does not output Dolby Digital from an incoming source other than the tv itself. Don't know why. What you could try and do is buy a splitter and send audio signal directly to your beam. Could be that your sound is offsync though...

Personally, I'm quite annoyed with Sonos, they claim to have a nice system but for a tv setup it's just utter crap...
Yep, I solved the problem by buying a new TV that allows 5.1 passthrough (I was looking for an excuse anyway)
Userlevel 1
Yep, I solved the problem by buying a new TV that allows 5.1 passthrough (I was looking for an excuse anyway)

this is the absurdity of having a sonos system...