Sonos Playbar sound issue? Dialogues in movies/shows are not easy to understand fully.

• 25 October 2015
  • 92 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

92 replies

Completely understand.

Open up the app, and use the "rooms" menu at the bottom of the app, and select the room that your PLAYBAR is in. If you end up still on the white screen, click on the carat (^) on the left side of the black bar, just above the words My Sonos.

At this point, you should be on the black screen which shows a stylized TV in the center, and a bunch of buttons below. The button on the left, which looks like a moon, is the night more button. The button on the right is the voice boost mode. Both of these buttons can be toggled on or off while the TV is playing. When "On", the majority of the button is white, with black icons, when "Off", it is the opposite. I tend to run with speech enhancement on, and night mode off, but it's entirely a personal decision, there's no right or wrong way,. Do what works for you.

Hope that helps.

That helped! I rarely use the Sonos app , since the TV controls the volume and the playbar plays whatever is sent to it.

I opened up the Sonos app for the first time while watching an movie and saw the controls that you described . I turned speech enhancement and night mode on and will test it out .

most recently I was playing Skyrim and could not hear what anyone was saying since turning the volume up made the effects volume too loud.

thanks again.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I haven't tried either one of those. How exactly do those features work? I read about it on their site so I will heck it out but does anyone have any experience with them?
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1959
I haven't tried either one of those. How exactly do those features work? I read about it on their site so I will heck it out but does anyone have any experience with them?

Wouldn't it be easier just to try them to see what happens?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
japes - do you have issues on all sources? Like DVD has issue, TV doesn't etc.

if tv trouble have your tried hooking toslink direct to cable box to rule out tv processing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Did you switch cable to Direct from source vs through tv
Userlevel 2
Badge
I tried the enhancements and the night sound and I did a few things with the surround sound but it's still kind of unclear. Any other solutions?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I have exactly the same problem. Its a disgrace that this once wonderful company has brought out a product like this. Ive been a customer for 9 years. MAybe they no longer care.
Hi Seanfoy, we'd be happy to help. Can you send us a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number? Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Ever0095 - A handful of troubleshooting ideas, some of which may be difficult to set up or at least be time consuming:

1) Connect your computer directly to the TV and run Plex without having to stream.

2) Confirm that you are playing the same audio track when you compare Chromecast vs SmartTV. For example, is 1 defaulting to a stereo track and the other to a Dolby 5.1 track?

3) Connect a laptop (or tablet) with an HDMI cable directly to the TV and stream from your Plex server.

4) Get a hold of an alternate streaming device, such as an AppleTV 4, Roku, and/or FireTV, and stream Plex using that box.

5) Unplug the player and try your Chromecast with the built in TV speakers.

6) Move your Playbar and Chromecast to a different TV and try it there.

Just some thoughts to help you narrow down the issue. Good luck.
Userlevel 1
Thanks jdag!

Running the same video via Plex off a laptop is a good way to narrow this down. This is likely a better question for the Plex forums, but do you know how to determine which audio track/encoding is being used while running Plex? I control movies via the Android Plex app, and see under Settings>Video: Device Supports Dolby Digital, Device Support Dolby Digital Plus, and Device support DTS. By default, all are unchecked.

Is "Device" in this case the SmartTV or Playbar?

I'm reading that Sonos/DTS issues are an entirely different, and I assume unrelated, headache.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I am not sure if this will help, and I don't have experience with either Android or Chromecast. I do know that when you select a video with multiple tracks on other Plex versions, including AppleTV, FireTV, iOS and web browser, that there is an ability to change the audio track. I assume it is there for Android as well. And of course, that assumes that the video in question actually contains multiple audio tracks.
Userlevel 1
I have exactly the same problem. Its a disgrace that this once wonderful company has brought out a product like this. Ive been a customer for 9 years. MAybe they no longer care.
Hi Seanfoy, we'd be happy to help. Can you send us a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number? Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic

Hi there, thanks for your reply. Here is the confirmation number for the diagnostic 6076467
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi there, thanks for your reply. Here is the confirmation number for the diagnostic 6076467

Hi Seanfoy,

It would be best to continue troubleshooting over the phone. Here's a support ticket: 160411-001431. Please give us a call and we'll help out. You can find our phone number and hours here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Submit a diagnostic to Sonos and report it here.
Hello Sonos team,

I take the opprtunity to emphasize previous posts.
So, two months ago, I replaced my JVC amp (very good job for more than 15 years:P) + 2 classic speakers + chromecast by Sonos playbar.
Unfortunately, I'm facing two important problems :

Exact same sound issue as previous people with TV / movies
Even though sound is quite good for music, it's very painful to get good balance between voices and other sounds for HD TV or movies read from Blueray or PC or PS4...
It seems that no equalizer exists that would workaround the problem.
I tried "night mode" or clear voice options but, as already said in previous posts, it does not solve anything.:(

I cannot disable TV speakers (Panasonic TXP50VT20), it leads to overlapping sounds from TV and playbar with a tiny delay between them
I found a workaround that consists in muting (or decreasing sound until 0) TV sound , BUT when I use TV remote controller to increase playbar sound, TV sound is increased as well, it leads to previous overlapping sound issue :@
So , I still need to have my phone/tablet close to me to adjust playbar sound, very painful again.

Finally,
Q1 : Do you plan to update Sonos app to fix that ? equalizer, presets ....
Q2 : Is there any other 3rd-party app that would allow more configuration ?
Q3 : Any tricks to disable/workaround the 2nd issue ?

Waiting for your feedbacks soon.

Regards,
Alex (missing his amp...)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hello Sonos team,

I take the opprtunity to emphasize previous posts.
So, two months ago, I replaced my JVC amp (very good job for more than 15 years:P) + 2 classic speakers + chromecast by Sonos playbar.
Unfortunately, I'm facing two important problems :

Exact same sound issue as previous people with TV / movies
Even though sound is quite good for music, it's very painful to get good balance between voices and other sounds for HD TV or movies read from Blueray or PC or PS4...
It seems that no equalizer exists that would workaround the problem.
I tried "night mode" or clear voice options but, as already said in previous posts, it does not solve anything.:(

I cannot disable TV speakers (Panasonic TXP50VT20), it leads to overlapping sounds from TV and playbar with a tiny delay between them
I found a workaround that consists in muting (or decreasing sound until 0) TV sound , BUT when I use TV remote controller to increase playbar sound, TV sound is increased as well, it leads to previous overlapping sound issue :@
So , I still need to have my phone/tablet close to me to adjust playbar sound, very painful again.

Finally,

Waiting for your feedbacks soon.

Regards,
Alex (missing his amp...)

I highly suggest you give support a call and talk through your specific issues with them
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I highly suggest you give support a call and talk through your specific issues with them

Good suggestion Stuart.

We're constantly trying to improve audio, so yes, you can expect to see changes in the future. We don't share timelines or a roadmap so unfortunately that's about the best information I can offer right now.

On your third question, you could try plugging a headphone jack into the TV and see if that mutes the TV speakers.

Good suggestion Stuart.

We're constantly trying to improve audio, so yes, you can expect to see changes in the future. We don't share timelines or a roadmap so unfortunately that's about the best information I can offer right now.

On your third question, you could try plugging a headphone jack into the TV and see if that mutes the TV speakers.

Ryan,

His this sound issue with playbar been resolved?
My wife is complaining to me every day about the sound issues and we have to watch tv constantly putting volume up and down.
Userlevel 2
Dear Sonos,

Please work on the improvement of the Playbar Voice quality.

Thanks,
Marco
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
HI Marco and Miggs, there isn't a specific "issue" that's identified here. From what we've seen and experienced TV and movie audio usually sounds awesome through the various Sonos configurations possible. We're constantly trying to tweak things to get them even better, but no known issue exists right now that's being looked into with the need for a solution.

As first recommended, if you have trouble separating the audio with the vocals for programs the "Speech Enhancement" mode works wonders usually. If you have a specific problem which comes up a lot we'd love to take a closer look. There may be an issue with a specific type of device or broadcast that hasn't been identified yet, and if that's the case we'd love to find and resolve it.

If you do have trouble that keeps coming up can you please give us a call on our support line and work with a technician to get a closer look into things?
Having the exact same issue with dialogue being very difficult to understand. I have tried the aforementioned modes of voice and night mode. No luck. I am thinking I made a bad choice in this system. I have had it about two weeks, may just have to return to Bestbuy. I am running through my Xbox One with the included optical. I was using the optical through my 65 inch Samsung but due to voice delay and at numerous times no voice track and... the Sonos not being able to fix it through the voice setting, I hooked up directly to Xboxone. Now there is voice with sometimes a slight delay, but mostly the poor clarity in the dialogue. It just sounds too low with the background tracks too high. Please update and fix Sonos.
Like the firat comment said. Speech enhancement worked for me. Had this thing for 6 months before i finally got fed up and googled it haha
Hello, I found a setting in the sonos app today that has solved all of my problems with the ambient sound being too loud.

I went into settings, then room settings then picked my room, then advanced audio, then surround settings. The tv level adjustment was set to max. I reduced that to around the middle and the sound levels are so much better.

This has made a huge difference to me, I hope it helps you guys out m
Wait!? Does TonyDancer's solution (to change the EQ settings on the TV) work? I'm just about to buy a PlayBar, mostly to improve dialogue clarity for streaming (Netflix, HBO Now, etc.). My Samsung TV offers a "Clear Voice" EQ preset, which I just tried and it does, indeed, clear up the mid-ranges while sacrificing some bass. However, I do not see an option to set the Digital Audio output to RAW, so I am uncertain if the Samsung TV is going to output "Clear Voice." Here's a question: in a TV+PlayBar setup, what is processing the sound — the TV? The PlayBar? Both?
Hey BradleyK.... (and others)

Samsung TVs should have a PCM setting which outputs 24mbps that will send a clear signal to the SONOS Playbar. Look to see also if the Samsung has a Dolby Digital output. The transmission rate is lower, but should still be nice. If you have the TV outputting "Clear Voice" then the Playbar is processing an oversampled signal which it will then distort and create a problem in your final product. If you are outputting from the TV to the Sonos, you want the TV to be doing zero processing. Another alternative is to hook your source directly to the Sonos. This is ideal if you only have one source (Like an AppleTV or such.) If you have multiple sources, then try to make sure that the TV is sending a pure unprocessed digital signal for the Sonos to equalize. Best of luck. Let me know if you need any further help!