Answered

Sonos Playbar only shows Stereo PCM 2.0

• 1 January 2021
  • 35 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Have you ever been able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 from your IPTV apps through your Playbar? I would be surprised if any of those apps supported multichannel audio.

I’m not sure to be honest, but the problem is that the sound just stops after 5-10 seconds then I have to click on cable on my tv remote again and it works fine after that.  But why does it work for the first 5-10 seconds and then stop?  This problem only started since the last update.

Userlevel 7

Have you ever been able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 from your IPTV apps through your Playbar? I would be surprised if any of those apps supported multichannel audio.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My Sonos Playbar shows as PCM too (in the Sonos app) but the TV audio out is set to Dolby Digital.  The TV model is a Sony XBR65X900F.  Is the app auto detecting the source audio?

The app will detect whatever audio the source is sending and the TV can pass through. What specific content are you watching and from which app and device?

I am using an android box for IPTV.  It was working fine up until the last sonos update.  Nothing has changed on the android box.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

to add, the problem only started since the last update.  The Sonos rep is blaming my network but as seen in all other posts about the Playbar, that is all they do and then stop replying.

Userlevel 7

My Sonos Playbar shows as PCM too (in the Sonos app) but the TV audio out is set to Dolby Digital.  The TV model is a Sony XBR65X900F.  Is the app auto detecting the source audio?

The app will detect whatever audio the source is sending and the TV can pass through. What specific content are you watching and from which app and device?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I am also having an issue with my playbar where the sound stops all together after 5-10 seconds when the TV is turned on.  I have the auto feature on.  The funny thing is, is that if I click on another source (on the tv, such as hdmi and then back to cable) the sound comes back and is fine.  I have an open case with Sonos support but they haven’t found a solution.  I’ve also been looking up on this forum as well as reddit about issues people are having with the Playbar, and in most cases, the Sonos rep stops replying and the problem is never resolved.  What a crappy service for a ‘premium’ soundbar.  I also have 2 Sonos One’s as the rear surrounds and a sub.  I also have 2 Sonos One SL’s in my bedroom.  At this point, I’m considering getting rid of all my Sonos speakers.  The rep that was helping me said there is a latency issue.  How can there be a latency issue when I am able to play music and spotify with no issues, its only when the TV is on where I’m having the issue.   It’s really annoying having to change sources back and fourth every time.  Also, the Playbar is hard wired to the TV via optical, so once again, how can there be any latency issue?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Userlevel 7

I have an Apple TV (Gen 3) connected through HDMI. I just tested Jack Ryan on Prime Video. I believe Prime is limited to Stereo 2.0 on the Apple TV (Gen 3). I can get Dolby Digital 5.1 through Netflix though. I imagine it should  work through optical too.

The Settings under Audio & video on the Apple TV are:

Dolby Digital   - “Auto” and the options are “On” “Off” or “Auto”

Audio Output is set to “Auto” on Apple TV.  The options are “Auto” or “16 bit”

What are the audio settings on the Apple TV itself? Those settings would override the settings for the individual apps.

I can tell you that Dolby Digital Plus can not be sent across the optical cable, it maxes out at Dolby Digital.