Answered

Sonos not playing 5.1 audio when used with Kodi Krypton

• 3 May 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi I have been using the following combination sucessfully until Kodi upgraded to Krypton.

I run Kodi on a NAS (Asustor) that outputs the audio via HDMI to a Samsung TV U55. This TV has a box connected to it with 4 HDMI ports and 1 optical out.
The optical out is connected to my Sonos Playbar.
I have tried all kinds of settings on the internet. Without success.
Current settings in Kodi:
Audio: 2.0
Allow Passthrough
AC3 capable receiver
AC3 decoding
the audio device is HDA in Samsung

Anyone have this issue? Any suggestions what I could try?
icon

Best answer by Coldashbin 9 May 2018, 15:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Coldashbin, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately still no sound coming out of the system. It must be in some setting but I am kind of lost. So here's what I could find:
TV: Samsung UE55JU7000
Sound menu: PCM, PCM, HD out: no, speakers set to TOSlink
HDMI 4 used: this has ARC between brackets.

Asustor: 3102T
Kodi Krypton: 17.6
Audio settings: 5.1, allow passthrough, digital transcoding, audio device set to HDA samsung

Is this correct or am I missing something? I also noted that there are 5.1 audio samples and 5.1 with the extra dolby. What is the difference? I used to play all these files without issue.

Thanks for your help.

A
Userlevel 1
Set speakers to 5.1 instead of 2.0. This will enable all Dolby digital tracks to be passed through. If you also have non dolby digital audio tracks (e.g. DTS, DD+), then set speakers back to 2.0 and enable dolby digital transcoding in the KODI audio settings. This will convert all non DD tracks to DD for output via HDMI.