Answered

Sonos not playing 5.1 audio when used with Kodi Krypton

• 3 May 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi I have been using the following combination sucessfully until Kodi upgraded to Krypton.

I run Kodi on a NAS (Asustor) that outputs the audio via HDMI to a Samsung TV U55. This TV has a box connected to it with 4 HDMI ports and 1 optical out.
The optical out is connected to my Sonos Playbar.
I have tried all kinds of settings on the internet. Without success.
Current settings in Kodi:
Audio: 2.0
Allow Passthrough
AC3 capable receiver
AC3 decoding
the audio device is HDA in Samsung

Anyone have this issue? Any suggestions what I could try?
icon

Best answer by Coldashbin 9 May 2018, 15:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Set speakers to 5.1 instead of 2.0. This will enable all Dolby digital tracks to be passed through. If you also have non dolby digital audio tracks (e.g. DTS, DD+), then set speakers back to 2.0 and enable dolby digital transcoding in the KODI audio settings. This will convert all non DD tracks to DD for output via HDMI.
Coldashbin, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately still no sound coming out of the system. It must be in some setting but I am kind of lost. So here's what I could find:
TV: Samsung UE55JU7000
Sound menu: PCM, PCM, HD out: no, speakers set to TOSlink
HDMI 4 used: this has ARC between brackets.

Asustor: 3102T
Kodi Krypton: 17.6
Audio settings: 5.1, allow passthrough, digital transcoding, audio device set to HDA samsung

Is this correct or am I missing something? I also noted that there are 5.1 audio samples and 5.1 with the extra dolby. What is the difference? I used to play all these files without issue.

Thanks for your help.

A