Question

Sonos Move as rear speakers

• 23 September 2019
  • 4 replies

I want to buy rear speakers and ideally want to buy two move speakers to do this. The move looks to be a brilliant around the home speaker, but too large to take away with me. I have a big patio so two move speakers outside occasionally when we get good weather in the UK would be brilliant. I want to spend more money than Sonos one’s and want to know whether this will
work. If not how do we petition to get a software update to make Move’s work in a surround set up?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Sonos say that the wide soundstage the Move provides makes it unsuitable for rear effects speakers. As a consequence they do not let you bond it to the home theatre products.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Also, the speakers cannot be stereo paired when in bluetooth mode. Unless your patio is in wifi range, you won't be able to use them as stereo pair.

That said, I believe some android phones can pair to two bluetooth speakers at the same time. Mine has the settings to do this, though I've never tested it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sonos say that the wide soundstage the Move provides makes it unsuitable for rear effects speakers. As a consequence they do not let you bond it to the home theatre products.
Mostly this, also Move is designed with portability in mind, which can be a problem for surround sound setups. We talked about similar things in the main thread too.
Thanks all, that all makes sense!!