Answered

Sonos Beam Tv Control On and Off

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

Badge
Thanks, but I just get the response of ‘Lounge TV does not support this’

The fact ALEXA can’t turn off the tv unless it’s on The ARC source... ie the Beam .... is annoying too. Can’t switch it off from Sky or Blu Ray 😞
I get the same regarding the turning on my TV however unable to turn the TV off. I use Sky Q but feel it's more to do with Alexa and not the TV itself as all other commands seem ok.
I'm having same problem, turns tv on no problem, can't turn it off. Samsung mu8000.
Badge
I am having exactly the same problem here with my Samsung M5520 which I believe is a 2017 television. I can turn the television on with Alexa and change the volume but it just won’t turn off.
I have made sure that the TV software is up-to-date and this didn’t improve the situation.
I also tried Power cycling the beam and television.
Same problem here too with my Samsung UN40MU6300... Can turn on the TV with Alexa, but cannot turn it off. No other devices are plugged into any other ports on the TV.
I have the same problem with my LG 55UB820V. The Beam/Alexa can turn on the TV but doesn't turn it off
I had a similar problem but forgot that I named my beam to ‘beam’ instead of ‘Tv’ , so I tried ‘Alexa, turn off/on beam’ instead and it worked. Using a philips amblight tv in case that helps
I finally!! got the tv on/off command to work with beam/alexa. As someone suggested I used the name of the room in the voice command and it worked. My tv is: Samsung 55" Class KU630D 4K UHD TV which I purchased about 2 years ago.
The sonos beam is plugged into the HDMI ARC port.

The exact command I used is: Alexa turn Family Room tv on. Or: Alexa turn Family Room tv off.
Before I was saying: Alexa turn TV on/off and Alexa would reply 'OK but nothing happened...

Now it works...and the heavens opened up!

Thank you Rei! Your solution worked for me. Whatever you named your Sonos Beam as during setup (Family Room, Living Room, etc.), just ask Alexa to turn that on or off. It should work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The command to turn the TV off should be: "Alexa, turn off the TV" or "Alexa, turn off the [room name] TV".

There are some things I've seen work for some TV's, like renaming your Beam to TV or just another name. Also, there are some TVs that you need to turn on a specific setting within them for enabling other devices to turn them off. In a few cases, it helps to use a cable with your other device that doesn't support CEC. To see if it's another device taking over, you could try unplugging that device from the TV, and see if Off and On work from Beam (make sure you're using a different input on the TV, not the HDMI for Beam).

Also, some TV manufacturers don't have off supported or have limited support for it on some models. It may be best to contact the manufacturer and ask if CEC (Simplink for LG) supports turning the TV off from another device.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Hi, I have a LG 42UB820T TV. I have turned on Simplink and the Auto Power options. I can turn on the Tv using Alexa but cannot turn it off using Alexa.

I noticed when I turned on Simplink, the HDMI connection I use for my Apple TV showed as being a Simplink device (the green Simplink symbol was disabled on the HDMI connection on the input list), but the HDMI-CEC connection I use for the Sonos Beam did not.

I tried including the Room in the command as suggested previously, but still no luck.

Any suggestions?

Did you manage to solve this? Having the exact same issue on an LG TV and suspect that the Beam is not detected as a Simplink-device. I have a Chromecast that is marked "Simplink" on the TV as your Apple TV while the Sonos is not.
Would anybody know why I can turn ON my tv using the Beam with Alexa but can’t turn it back off using the voice commands?

If the problem still persists try using your Sonos Beam as the Source (NOT Xbox, PS, Blueray, etc). Fixed the same issue on my Samsung TV.
Also have Samsung UN58MU6071 and can turn on but not off with Alexa. Tried naming the TV when I give the command as rei suggested but still doesn’t work. Can turn off with Alexa if I change the source to the beam hdmi input with the tv remote but what’s the point in that? Guess I’m stuck hitting the power button for off until Sonos or Samsung figures this out.
I've just bought a Beam this week and am experiencing this same issue where you can't turn off the TV using any variant of 'Alexa turn off the TV'. I can however turn on the TV, mute and unmute successfully. My TV is an LG 49UF680V connected via HDMI ARC with SIMPLINK on, Auto Power Sync enabled and no other devices connected which could be interfering with the CEC/SIMPLINK.
Does anyone have any additional pointers to try and resolve the turning off issue?
Hi, yes.... I had the same problem too when trying to switch back from Music Audio....

‘TV’
‘TV SOURCE’
‘Switch to TV’

None seemed to work, so had to browse the app.

I’ve been impressed by the sound quality, but no remote means Alexa needs to be smarter

In case you haven’t discovered this, you can also say “Alexa, switch to TV” and it will switch audio sources and work again.
Similar issue on my side with LG TV, can't wait for further updates.