Answered

Sonos Beam + Shield tv = no 5.0 surround sound

• 19 December 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi,

Today i received my second play 1 and i installed them as surround together with the beam.

Here is the situation.

My tv: Samsung UE48H6400

I use the shield tv for watching tv (iptv), netflix and kodi.

Shield tv -> HDMI 1
Sonos Beam -> HDMI Arc

When i watch something through netflix i do not get a surround sound. When i check about my sonos it says silence.

Can anyone help?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 19 December 2018, 18:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Sure, an HDMI switch is always an option. But it wouldn't change the fact that the Shield appears not to be sending a Dolby Digital signal. The switch doesn't do any signal alteration/interpretation. I think you need to fix that issue first, before considering any other changes. You would be, in my opinion, just wasting money.
Okay thanks.

What if you have a tv without an DD option? What to do in that case? Is an hdmi switch an option?
I don’t know anything about the Shield, specifically. While there may be someone here who does, you may want to look for a Shield support forum, or contact them directly. Might be a quicker way to get an answer.
Thank you for the quick reply.

The strange thing is i can not select the tv audio settings to Dolby Digital (it is greyed out), so i understand that the tv is not getting a dolby signal in otherwise it would be selectable.

In the meantime i tried the following:

1. I used the netflix app on the tv itself and then i get a 5.0 surround sound (great). And this time i do not have to select dolby digital on the tv audio because it is automatically selected.

So, somehow the Shield TV is not giving a signal to the tv which is recognized by the tv. I tried to use the optical cable what was delivered with the beam but the same problem exists.

Is there a work around for this?
Check both the Shield and the TV’s audio settings to make sure they’re set to Dolby Digital. This is supposed to be handled by HDMI-CEC, but the Shield may not be compliant.