Answered

Sonos Beam Audio Sync Issue with Philips OLED854

• 23 February 2020
  • 10 replies

I’ve just upgraded my TV from a Sony 4K to a Philips OLED 4K TV. Immediately I have found issues with the Audio sync, mainly the audio being behind the picture. The only true way to solve it, seems to be change the Audio out mode on the TV to stereo, not ideal when I have two Ones acting as surround speakers.

There doesn’t seem to be a way to fix this, sometimes switching the TV on and off resolves. It just seems very odd that this has occurred with the new TV.

Pretty gutted at the moment :(

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 24 February 2020, 22:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Most people with similar issues have found some relief by either updating the firmware on the TV, or pulling the audio off the stream before it reaches the TV, using an HDMI switch of some type. Many, many threads in the Home Theater section of the forum. 

Ive got all the latest firmware on the TV, there isnt much else I can do from what I can see...

I suppose it’s the other option, then, since your TV doesn’t seem to be able to pass Dolby Digital through without delaying it. You may want to contact Philips with your concern, as well. 

Thank you, I will try that.

As I said, there are quite a few threads in the Home Theater area that cover similar situations.

And I do share your frustration. It’s amazing to me that newly manufactured TVs can have this issue. And it’s one of the reasons I went with Vizio the last time I upgraded a TV, it doesn’t have this issue, it passes Dolby Digital without any delay. 

After some tinkering, it seems my issue only effect my 4K YouView box, no issue with AppleTV or when watching directly from the TV. 

This to me confuses me more, I’ve tried the youView through a different HDMI port just in case in some way related to this, but that doesnt make any difference.

While pleased Ive narrowed it down, I am struggling with the best way to fix this. I noted the advice on HDMI switchers, but I dont understand how they would work (I have 3 HDMI decvices plus the Beam) and I’d still want the audio from the TV to go to the Beam.

Since the Apple TV works properly through your TV, that says there’s nothing wrong with the TV, and the external HDMI switch is unnecessary. However, it certainly suggests an audio setting needs to be adjusted on your YouView box, have you tried contacting them? 

Just trying that too, strange thing, this didn’t happen through the Sony TV, Something to do with the combination, but I fear there is no simple solution other than leaving it on Stereo! I will explore the Philips and YouView support functions. Thank you for your advice and replies, its appreciated.

nickB_73,

https://philips-tvconsumercare.kxondemand.com/portal/en/Faq/All/2932

Some useful Philips TV tips here, such as (just as an example) changing the YouView’s assigned HDMI Port UHD chroma sub-sampling setting from 4.4.4 to 4.2.0 to reduce the colour and compress the overall signal to free up bandwidth, which in turn might reduce processing time and assist the throughput of the audio signal etc.

There are some other suggestions in the link too which may, or may not, apply to your particular model of Philips TV.

Worth a read at least.

Does your TV HDMI-ARC/eARC or Optical port, not support a “pass-through” option? ...which means it then will not interfere with, or try to transcode, the signal at all from your YouView box… it simply passes the audio direct to the Receiver?

It might be worth speaking to Philips Customer Support to explain the lip-sync problem and get the best settings for your OLED TV.

Badge

I have a Philips OLED854 with the lip sync issue mentioned here. The only way I found to remedy it is to use a Toslink optical switcher which bypassed the TV as it isn’t capable of processing Dolby Digital without a delay sadly.