Sonos Arc wall mount: How to fit outlet and low-voltage behind the mount?

• 6 August 2020
  • 31 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Badge

@btoursonos, wouldn’t a Hubbell “JLOAD” RJ600 do the trick?  That’s if I understand your problem to be mounting (hiding) a single duplex outlet sideways with a split high/low voltage divider & metallic connectors:

https://www.mc-mc.com/ASSETS/DOCUMENTS/ITEMS/EN/Hubbell_RJ600_Brochure.pdf

(By the way (not that you asked!-), depending on the depth of your TV mount, you might want to offset the Sonos Arc from the wall or else move it vertically farther away from the TV.  Even with the forward angle of the upward-firing drivers, at only 2” away it must reflect off the TV before it gets to the ceiling.  Of course at only 6” below, the reflections from the main front-firing speakers off the dresser are a problem too!  To me, Arc is not a good Master Bedroom solution with typical close-quarters.  If this isn’t an MBR, then consider allowing more “breathing room” in your TV living area, so the sound doesn’t get “muddy” by accident.)

@tracker Thank you for the recommendations on the clearance, I hear you, but the Interior Designer is forcing me to a 2" clearance (but at the end of the day I will extend it to 4" ;-)

The Hubbell solution you sent is not compliant with NYC/Chicago code, we need to split line and low voltage in two separate wallboxes - or - we need a 2-gang wallbox with metal separators. Welcome to NY!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@btoursonos, wouldn’t a Hubbell “JLOAD” RJ600 do the trick?  That’s if I understand your problem to be mounting (hiding) a single duplex outlet sideways with a split high/low voltage divider & metallic connectors:

https://hubbellcdn.com/catalogpage/Premise_Catalog_R46_CatPage.pdf

(By the way (not that you asked!-), depending on the depth of your TV mount, you might want to offset the Sonos Arc from the wall or else move it vertically farther away from the TV.  Even with the forward angle of the upward-firing drivers, at only 2” away it must reflect off the TV before it gets to the ceiling.  Of course at only 6” below, the reflections from the main front-firing speakers off the dresser are a problem too!  To me, Arc is not a good Master Bedroom solution with typical close-quarters.  If this isn’t an MBR, then consider allowing more “breathing room” in your TV living area, so the sound doesn’t get “muddy” by accident.)

Badge

This is turning out to be a huge, code compliant, problem. 
An Arc investment, especially with the extra outlay for the wall mount, and the slick photography of wall mounted Arcs, is not compatible with an electrical outlet behind the mount, especially with little space and a six foot power cord.

Really frustrating. Running the cord behind the wall for three or four inches, a spur, then using the outlet behind the TV would make things a breeze. Code, however :(

I’m hoping that folks have a solution for this new product. So easy with the Playbar—just place directly under the TV. No can do with the Arc and it’s two upward-firing Atmos drivers.

Awaiting any suggestions eagerly. Thx 

I am sure I can engineer a solution to make this code-compliant in NYC/Chicago but it would require extensive drywall work to build a soffit, which in turn requires more wall depth not always available. And it would limit the application to new construction and full remodels only.

I spoke to many industry peers and they are amazed how the ARC wall mount design excluded NYC/Chicago (two large markets) from compliance. Leniency is becoming the norm in the US.

But what amazes me the most is that Sonos is not even responding to my inquiries much less to this thread. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is turning out to be a huge, code compliant, problem. 
An Arc investment, especially with the extra outlay for the wall mount, and the slick photography of wall mounted Arcs, is not compatible with an electrical outlet behind the mount, especially with little space and a six foot power cord.

Really frustrating. Running the cord behind the wall for three or four inches, a spur, then using the outlet behind the TV would make things a breeze. Code, however :(

I’m hoping that folks have a solution for this new product. So easy with the Playbar—just place directly under the TV. No can do with the Arc and it’s two upward-firing Atmos drivers.

Awaiting any suggestions eagerly. Thx 

Badge

I don’t have an answer for you, but I’m eager to see responses from others. I’ll be doing a similar install next month.

I called Sonos Support, but they didn't even understand the question, they were clueless.

I don’t have an answer for you, but I’m eager to see responses from others. I’ll be doing a similar install next month.