Sonos 12.0.5 Update: Delivers Dolby Atmos to Arc with AppleTV

• 26 August 2020
  • 44 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

oh wow. Thanks.   I see the update for your TV.  I have a LG 75Nano906  and so our updates are just a little bit off time wise.  My model gets the same updates, but it seems to always comes a few days or weeks later than yours.   It was the same when LG rolled out the AMD Sync, in that we got it a few days/weeks later.  It was the same update, so I am really hopeful that LG will be rolling out the update you got to my model in the next few days as I don’t like the internal apps and prefer my Apple TV 4k. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Watching Greyhound on my Apple TV 4K. 2020 Samsung Q80T eArc set to Auto and Atmos enabled. Here is what S2 is telling me for audio output on my Sonos Arc. 

Badge

I’m on gen4 HD Apple TV, not the 4K model so apols if I’m not seeing another problem here but wouldn’t leaving the setting on the ATV to auto give ATMOS out of it when it’s an ATMOS encoded source? I have had scenarios where I’ve had to force 5.1 (non-ARC TV with an HDMI splitter and a BEAM) but under normal circumstances, I’d leave it on auto. 

apols if I’ve missed your point. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Now when I disable eArc on my Samsung I get this showing in the S2 app. It appears that ATV 4K is sending an uncompressed True HD Dolby Atmos signal your my Sonos Arc based on a comparison of the two screen shots from my previous post. 

Userlevel 7

@jimbo_hippo 

I’m using ATV 4K

The ATV screen shot you see is the next screen after Audio Format: Auto, Atmos Available >

You still haven’t answered my question. I’m trying to determine if you’re just getting Dolby Digital Plus, or MAT. 

I am getting Dolby Atmos through the LG TV AppleTV app as well as the Apple TV 4K. Random Atmos-enabled shows. My LG TV is connected to the Sonos Arc via eARC.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I am getting Dolby Atmos through the LG TV AppleTV app as well as the Apple TV 4K. Random Atmos-enabled shows. My LG TV is connected to the Sonos Arc via eARC.

Which LG do you have?

I have the LG 65GX OLED.

Userlevel 7

You still haven’t answered my question. I’m trying to determine if you’re just getting Dolby Digital Plus, or MAT. 

I can’t answer your question to the extent you are asking.

Below are audio formats the The King of Staten Island is recorded in:

If you view the ATV screen shot in my previous post you’ll see that when the ATV audio format is set to Dolby Atmos the audio is decoded and sent as uncompressed multi-channel LPCM. My research suggests that AppleTV may be using Dolby Digital Plus to carry LPCM as metadata. 

All that changes nothing as B4 12.0.5 my Arc would not recognize Dolby Atmos audio sent by ATV and would force me to set ATV audio to Dolby Digital 5.1.  Now since 12.0.5 my Arc recognizes ATV Dolby Atmos. I’ve made no adjustments to my TV audio settings or connections.

Bottom-line how Dolby Atmos gets to the Arc (speaking for myself) is inconsequential just as long as my $800 Arc will allow me to enjoy ATV or any of the popular streaming services that offer Dolby Atmos. BTW my NetFlix Premium has no issues with the Arc to enjoy Dolby Atmos.

Userlevel 2
Badge

What I find interesting is that LG shows the latest update as version 3.10.28 from 8/11/2020. The listed changes are 

1. Improvement  
 1) Support AMD FreeSync 
 2) Sport Alert improvements  

I will have to try my tv later cause I have a similar 2020 model. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@AjTrek1 , your TV has an eARC connection. All that’s happened is that you’ve now passed Atmos as multichannel LPCM (*not* Dolby Digital Plus) over eARC to Sonos Arc. This was possible on day one. 

What I find interesting is that LG shows the latest update as version 3.10.28 from 8/11/2020. The listed changes are 

1. Improvement  
 1) Support AMD FreeSync 
 2) Sport Alert improvements  

I will have to try my tv later cause I have a similar 2020 model. 

You need to have the newest which is firmware is 03.10.60 according to khazz22 above.  That version shows up on the LG website in the US.   I have the version 3.10.28 you mention and it doesn’t work., so  hopefully they should roll it out soon for 75Nano906NA (Europe).

version 03.10.60 (US) shows

[03.10.60] 
1. Fix black screen appear issue when booting the TV 
2. Fix the issue of re-running certain application or rebooting TV 
3. Improvement of the issue where certain BT Audio devices cannot be searched

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I did the upgrade and my sound has not dropped at all on anything played. I had issues with the Arc dropping the audio.  Yes I get Dolby atmos. 

Perhaps I wasn’t as clear in my wording as I should have been.

What application are you using to play this movie, that has been encoded in all these formats? Is it an Apple Movie, or a movie being played by a streaming applications such as Netflix, Amazon Video, or other non-Apple streaming application?

Userlevel 7

@oriboaz 

You need to re-read my comment. I know what I’ve done. 

Userlevel 7

Perhaps I wasn’t as clear in my wording as I should have been.

What application are you using to play this movie, that has been encoded in all these formats? Is it an Apple Movie, or a movie being played by a streaming applications such as Netflix, Amazon Video, or other non-Apple streaming application?

I’m using my ATV 4K box via its native app iTunes Movies. I’m don’t use it to steam via other apps like NetFlix etc.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@oriboaz

You need to re-read my comment. I know what I’ve done. 

All I am saying that nothing in 12.0.5 has changed Atmos support. 

@AjTrek1 , your TV has an eARC connection. All that’s happened is that you’ve now passed Atmos as multichannel LPCM (*not* Dolby Digital Plus) over eARC to Sonos Arc. This was possible on day one. 

Shouldn’t that be the other way around DD+ Atmos works on all devices built-in and attached to say an LG C9 TV which has eARC pass-through and support that codec along with the ARC? It’s the multichannel LPCM codec that has not worked from the beginning, which is the default format of ATV. 

I have always understood (believed) that the compressed DD+ Atmos to always have worked on ATV 4K with ARC, or if anyone is using ATV 4HD they should always have been getting DD 5.1 - providing these codecs were set in the ATV device audio settings. It was just the multichannel LPCM (uncompressed) Atmos that was not working using Dolby MAT (which actually is sent compressed but is uncompressed by the Receiver)… at least that’s always been my understanding.

Anyhow the ‘Audio-In display in the Sonos S2 App ‘About my Sonos’ is not too helpful as it just mentions Dolby Atmos - there is no hint at whether that Atmos format is Dolby (MAT) (uncompressed) or DD+ Atmos (compressed). I suspect it’s the latter and the reason I say that, is if anyone has Apple TV4 HD (not the 4K device) and they set the ‘Change Audio’ setting to off they will likely find that Atmos movies on Netflix (example 6 Underground) is missing audio channels - you may find the dialogue spoken is not coming through. Whereas if you change the audio to ON and select either Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM codec, then the movie audio will work with either of those codecs.. inferring that LPCM is still not supported (perhaps?). That’s the only way I can think to test it, but if anyone has any further suggestions…

Anyhow I hope that may assist to find the answer here.