Sonos 12.0.5 Update: Delivers Dolby Atmos to Arc with AppleTV

• 26 August 2020
  • 44 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Userlevel 7

Perhaps I wasn’t as clear in my wording as I should have been.

What application are you using to play this movie, that has been encoded in all these formats? Is it an Apple Movie, or a movie being played by a streaming applications such as Netflix, Amazon Video, or other non-Apple streaming application?

I’m using my ATV 4K box via its native app iTunes Movies. I’m don’t use it to steam via other apps like NetFlix etc.

Userlevel 7

@oriboaz 

You need to re-read my comment. I know what I’ve done. 

Perhaps I wasn’t as clear in my wording as I should have been.

What application are you using to play this movie, that has been encoded in all these formats? Is it an Apple Movie, or a movie being played by a streaming applications such as Netflix, Amazon Video, or other non-Apple streaming application?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I did the upgrade and my sound has not dropped at all on anything played. I had issues with the Arc dropping the audio.  Yes I get Dolby atmos. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@AjTrek1 , your TV has an eARC connection. All that’s happened is that you’ve now passed Atmos as multichannel LPCM (*not* Dolby Digital Plus) over eARC to Sonos Arc. This was possible on day one. 

Userlevel 7

You still haven’t answered my question. I’m trying to determine if you’re just getting Dolby Digital Plus, or MAT. 

I can’t answer your question to the extent you are asking.

Below are audio formats the The King of Staten Island is recorded in:

If you view the ATV screen shot in my previous post you’ll see that when the ATV audio format is set to Dolby Atmos the audio is decoded and sent as uncompressed multi-channel LPCM. My research suggests that AppleTV may be using Dolby Digital Plus to carry LPCM as metadata. 

All that changes nothing as B4 12.0.5 my Arc would not recognize Dolby Atmos audio sent by ATV and would force me to set ATV audio to Dolby Digital 5.1.  Now since 12.0.5 my Arc recognizes ATV Dolby Atmos. I’ve made no adjustments to my TV audio settings or connections.

Bottom-line how Dolby Atmos gets to the Arc (speaking for myself) is inconsequential just as long as my $800 Arc will allow me to enjoy ATV or any of the popular streaming services that offer Dolby Atmos. BTW my NetFlix Premium has no issues with the Arc to enjoy Dolby Atmos.

I have the LG 65GX OLED.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I am getting Dolby Atmos through the LG TV AppleTV app as well as the Apple TV 4K. Random Atmos-enabled shows. My LG TV is connected to the Sonos Arc via eARC.

Which LG do you have?

I am getting Dolby Atmos through the LG TV AppleTV app as well as the Apple TV 4K. Random Atmos-enabled shows. My LG TV is connected to the Sonos Arc via eARC.

You still haven’t answered my question. I’m trying to determine if you’re just getting Dolby Digital Plus, or MAT. 

Userlevel 7

@jimbo_hippo 

I’m using ATV 4K

The ATV screen shot you see is the next screen after Audio Format: Auto, Atmos Available >

Badge

I’m on gen4 HD Apple TV, not the 4K model so apols if I’m not seeing another problem here but wouldn’t leaving the setting on the ATV to auto give ATMOS out of it when it’s an ATMOS encoded source? I have had scenarios where I’ve had to force 5.1 (non-ARC TV with an HDMI splitter and a BEAM) but under normal circumstances, I’d leave it on auto. 

apols if I’ve missed your point. 

What are you playing the movie on? 

I’d be terribly surprised if Sonos were to make such a substantial change in a dot release, much less with the standard update line (bug fixes), and not trumpet the change. 

What I’m suspecting is that you’ve just figured out how to get Dolby Digital Plus through the system, and not MAT, since your connection is only HDMI ARC and not eARC. Doesn’t matter what the setting is, if the connection itself isn’t eARC, you won’t get MAT. 

Userlevel 7

Here’s the info:

Movie: The King of Staten Island

TV: 2019 LG OLED C9 65 Inch

Connection to Arc: HDMI ARC 

Audio: eARC turned On

Digital: Passthrough 

See screen shots below for other information:

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

LG Nano91

eARC setting to Passthrough

Apple TV 4K trying through Netflix

Also have tried Apple TV+

Not enough information here to know exactly what is being talked about. What’s the method of connection, HDMI ARC or eARC? What application on the Apple TV are you using? Are we talking Dolby Digital Plus or MAT?

More details before people are wildly disappointed would be helpful.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Nope.

No, it’s not working for me either.☹️

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I really got excited when I saw your post, but unfortunately I am not receiving any sound from ATV when Atmos is enabled.  I am not sure this will be the fix everyone has been waiting for.