Playbar issues with Sony BRAVIA XBR‑55X930D

• 20 January 2017
  • 5 replies

I recently added a Playbar to my home setup. Playbar is optically connected to a Sony BRAVIA XBR‑55X930D. I have frequent dropouts of audio from multiple sources input to the TV. TW Cable audio signals dropout, DVD audio signals occasionally drop out, etc. The issue self resolves most of the time, but sometimes requires a channel change to regain audio. Its quite annoying with a new product. Not sure if this is a software issue, TV issue or general Playbar issue. Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Huh. Well, look at the sticky post about Samsung TV's and Playbar dropouts. Maybe the problem is increasing to other brands.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Sony compatibility issue may be the issue. It is in my case. I know that it's being tested with Sony now - there are a handful of Sony TVs that aren't cooperating with Sonos playbar for some reason. Mine included. (XBR-70X850B)
Having worked with Sony in the past, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they snuck in some non-compliant signals in the stream that work well with Sony Playbars, but break the actual "dolby digital" compliant implementation, which is what I suspect Sonos has in the Playbar. Which is great if you have an all Sony setup, but if you use anything from another manufacturer, it isn't all that great. That's why there are standards.

I suspect this in many cases, not just with Sony. Why would it work for a bunch of different TV manufacturers, but not Samsung or Sony? I can't believe, as some have posted in these boards, that it's an issue with Sonos' implementation, since it works with all the rest, but it has to be those particular manufacturers code implementation. Especially when I see it being resolved by a firmware update to the TV set, and not a concurrent Sonos code update.

But that is speculation, I don't have any hard facts, and I'm not an engineer of any type. And I could be wrong. But I'm fairly comfortable that I'm not.
i cannot get my playbar to play sound through the x930 sony
Have you posted a diagnostic in this thread?

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926

Thy appear to be setting people up with a new beta release that seems to be resolving a lot of these types of issues.