Answered

Older Samsung TV & Sonos BEAM

• 21 April 2024
  • 6 replies

I have an Samsung TV with 1 HDMI input, 1 Display port Out, RCA analog out.  The HDMI input is used for Firestick. I purchase several analog to digital converts and none provide audio to the Sonos Beam. Is there a solution for older TV with analog audio out to connect to Sonos Beam?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 April 2024, 07:01

View original

6 replies

Your least expensive play would be to use an inexpensive HDMI switch that has an optical out. You’d then connect the Beam to that optical out using the Sonos optical to HDMI ARC adapter. That would get you a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal that the Beam could process. There are dozens of threads about setups like this, in this very section of the forum. The Sonos search function tends to be poor, you might use Google search instead of this forum’s search function. 

Things get significantly more expensive if you’re interested in Atmos, and not really worth it, IMHO, with just a Beam gen 2, and impossible with a Beam gen 1. If you want to go down that road, I’d recommend upgrading your Beam to an Arc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since TV’s have gotten cheaper and with only one HDMI and no HDMI-ARC your TV must be quite old, I’d not spend much on such a switch, but maybe look at buying a new TV.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@masmith22 

Amazon is your friend… look for „hdmi audioextractor“. Most product pages there include pictures how to connect devices. 

The Samsung TV still has a great picture. I will replace the Sonos Beam and used my Edifier power speakers. Thanks for the replies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

The Samsung TV still has a great picture. I will replace the Sonos Beam and used my Edifier power speakers. Thanks for the replies.

Ah, ok… that will also „solve“ it. 😉🙈

I am now enjoying the sounds from the Sonos Beam. The iArkPower audio extractor works with my older Samsung TV with just 1 HDMI input. Saved me from buying a new TV.