No sound through TV Sharp Aquos LC70LE632U

• 27 January 2019
  • 8 replies

I just connected our Sonos system. We have the Playbar. Sub, and 2 Sonos One's. Everything works great if I plug the Digital audio cable directly into my Dish Hopper. If I plug the digital audio cable into the TV I get nothing. I set tv to turn surround sound on, but that did not work. I can not find any other options to turn digitial sound output on, on the TV.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Look at the settings on the Sharp for audio.

Turn off surround sound, that's only going to add delay to the signal. Make sure it's locked to Dolby Digital. You may need to be watching a movie with a Dolby Digital signal in order to be able to do that. Make sure that the optical output is turned on, and it should be set to fixed, rather than variable.

Do you have a link to the online version of your manual for this TV? If so, please post it so that those of us who might be willing to look through it for you are able to.
Here is the link to the manual. http://www.sharpusa.com/Support/ProductDetail.aspx?model=LC-70LE632U

I can not find the the settings to turn on digital audio output or Dolby Digital. I did turn the surround aound off. I tried the fixed versus variable and that didnt help. Thanks
OK, page 31 of the manual has instructions on how to set the output to fixed, rather than variable.

Page 37 has instructions on how to update the firmware, if you haven't already done so. This is always recommended.

Page 72 is the help area if you're not getting sound. There's some discussion there about page 56. That appears to be about when a PC is connected.

The specs on page 75 suggest that it will send out a Dolby Digital signal, and I'd assume that means it will pass through one, so you should check to see if whatever you're feeding the TV is actually sending out a Dolby Digital signal.

I'll be honest, rather than having me or someone else here on these boards attempt to understand the way this Sharp works, have you considered contacting Sharp directly? Given how old this manual seems to be, there's certainly a possibility that the HDMI input doesn't pass a Dolby Digital signal out, but only the tuner itself can do so, which would be bad. But that's the kind of thing that you'd be best asking someone from Sharp about, rather than someone on the Sonos support boards.
Thanks for your suggestions Bruce. I will look over the pages you referenced. I plan on calling Sharp today, i could not get through yestersday. Thanks again.
Unsurprising, I’d doubt Sharp would be open on a Sunday. But good luck today, hope you get the answers you need!
Sharp says the HDMI from my dish hopper overides the digital cable. Which i understand. Then he proceeded to tell me to connect the playbar by HDMI, which i said i can not. Then he had the ultimate response "You will need to purchase a better playbar"... I hung up on Sharp support after chewing on the support guy for a few minutes.
Bleh.

One of the things you may want to consider is an HDMI switch with an optical output, so you can get the appropriate sound, and still feed the TV via HDMI.
Resolved...called Sonos support. Resolved by learning the TV remote to the playbar. All is good for now.