Answered

New TV? Please help! Only getting Stereo on Beam

• 25 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

I’m a relatively new, and relatively frustrated Beam (& rear Symfonisks) owner.  I have a Virgin Media V6 Tivo box, PS3 & Roku Express all going into my TV via HDMI, then out Via HDMI Arc to the Beam. I’m receiving Dolby Digital 5.1 & 2.0 from each device (confirmed in Sonos app).

My frustration, like so many others, comes from not receiving DD from anything being broadcast in DD+ from the Roku, (Disney+/Netflix/Amazon) all the Beam receives is Stereo PCM 2.0, a vast difference in quality to DD. 

After many, many hours of reading similar issues faced by others, I think the issue is with my TV, it’s a 2015 Sony KDL32w705c, while some TV’s can take in a DD+ signal and put out a DD signal, it doesn’t appear that mine can. I have tried every variety of settings. 

Is there a cheaper option than a new TV?

I was half contemplating a new TV, as I quite fancy something larger (40-43”). I read somewhere that TV’s produced from 2016 have a better chance of being suitable for my needs, but I’m still a bit lost as this feature isn’t advertised.

Any guidance on what to look for, or any other advice?

Thanks very much in advance.

p

After many, many hours of reading

icon

Best answer by Alastairjbain 29 December 2020, 00:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Alastairjbain.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you wanted to experience Dolby Digital + with your Sonos Beam being connected to your Sony KDL32w705c TV. Allow me to share some information to help out.

I would like to share with you the guide about Supported home theater audio formats to better understand how to get Dolby Digital +.  An HDMI eARC port which is the required connection for Dolby Digital + as also stated in the guide provided. This home theater audio codec is only available through the Sonos Arc and not with the Sonos Beam. The Sonos Arc is currently the only Sonos product that can be connected to HDMI eARC which Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital +, and Multichannel LPCM  is supported.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I’ll be more than happy to help out.

Thanks,

Badge

Paul - thanks you for your reply. Yes, I'm aware that the Beam cannot receive and output out DD+. 

The question I would like help with, is what are my options when it comes to converting a DD+ signal to DD?

It doesn't seem like my current TV will do it, so is a new TV the only option, or is there something else I could consider?

And if a new TV is the only option, what should I be looking for, as no manufacturers list that as a feature?

Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

H @Alastairjbain.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

The question I would like help with, is what are my options when it comes to converting a DD+ signal to DD? We do not recommend any third-party converter or extractor as it is not a supported setup. However, we can always reach out to other members of the community to see what would be their recommendation and/or feedback regarding this type of situation.

It doesn't seem like my current TV will do it, so is a new TV the only option, or is there something else I could consider? We can try reaching out to other members of the community and check their recommendations and/or feedback.

And if a new TV is the only option, what should I be looking for, as no manufacturers list that as a feature? Currently, only the Sonos Arc supports Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital +, and Multichannel LPCM as indicated in the guide I have provided through the HDMI eARC port. 

However, what I can do is send this to our engineering team as a feature request. I would suggest subscribing to our announcement topic for any feature release, feature updates, and bug fixes.

If you have any other questions, concerns, or feature requests, please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic. We highly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Use an Xbox - it can convert all audio to DD 5.1 and you can then keep your existing TV.

Badge

Thanks. I have tried a PS4 and that did the same thing, Disney+ came through my TV to the Beam in DD 5.1.

The problem is, I don’t really play any games, so would only be using it as a streaming device, which then seems an expensive option.

I have read some reviews that say the Hisense Roku R43B7120UK outputs in DD 5.1 to the Beam, and that is only £329, so that is top of the list at the moment.