Answered

New Sonos ARC - DTS support

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Great, thanks… and the Xbox One connects and transcodes via HDMI?  I have a PS4 but it requires using optical cable.

Badge

Great, thanks… and the Xbox One connects and transcodes via HDMI?  I have a PS4 but it requires using optical cable.

Yes - I have my Xbox one X connected to my TV via HDMI and it works without a hitch.  Quick tip - When watching UHD discs with Dolby Atmos true HD soundtracks I have found you need to select the option in the Blu ray settings titled ‘let my receiver decode audio’ otherwise the Sonos app says it is receiving only lossy Dolby Atmos and not the lossless True HD signal.  If you are watching a disc with a DTS soundtrack you need to deselect that option - the Xbox will then transcode to Dolby Atmos on the fly.  Changing this setting takes only seconds so it is not much of an inconvenience.

I may continue to use my Sony player for 4k atmos movies.  Maybe I can find someone local who wants to trade an Xbox one for my PS4 -- see what my kids friends have :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Soooo… I currently have a Playbar, Sub and 2x play one rear speakers. I also have sonos speakers in all the 5 other rooms in ouer house.
I would have been willing to pay for addding DTS to the old playbar since i have hundreds of DVD’s and Bly-Ray movies.
Right now i am going to wait for some kind of official response from Sonos on DTS for the ARC. Make no mistake here. I would be willing to pay 100+ USD extra for a DTS license as an add on purchase. But if there is no solution i will we looking for a new soundbar from one of the sonos competitios. 
If i end up going that i may as well switch all the way to a different system meaning the two old play 5 speakers i have will probably not be replaced by new sonos speakers.
I do understand that sonos has some kind of DTS but i really think Sonos has quiet a bit to loose by not supporting DTS.
And if there is no response then the end of 2020 is my final deadline for buying a new surround system.

Wait all you want. History is absolutely clear: Sonos will never bring DTS-support. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Sonos will not be changing their the policy on this. Really not worth requesting it or in any way for hoping/planning for it in the future. 

Get a blu-ray player that will transcode to DD 5.1 on the fly and forget all about it. 

I have a Samsung BD-player that does the trick for me. Most recent consoles should also be able to do it. I saw a recent post confirming this for the PS4 and my Xbox One is also able to do it.  

Very likely because of DTS Play-Fi, the awful but widely-adopted multi-room competitor to Sonos.  Yet another infringer on Sonos’ many patents, without a doubt.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

It will also be technically unnecessary, once they add the now-promised lpcm earc functionality. You will be able to unpack the dts at the source and transfer it as lpcm.